Help with speaker connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with speaker connection

I bought 2 old Kicker speakers from SPBFAN. How should I install it?

Do I pull wires through the tower or just put a split where the existing spekers are?

If I pull the wires through the tower, where do I connect them? I have 2 kicker amps.

Here are the speakers install on the tower. They do look a little different.

Last edited by eks; 07-16-2008, 03:30 AM.
    The laughter of the world is merely loneliness pathetically trying to reassure itself. - Neal A. Maxwell

Your best solution is to run 2 new speaker wires for the 2 new speakers.

What amp do you have powering your existing 2 tower speakers? I'm guessing it's the zx350.4. This is an adequate amp and will power them ok. If you really want to poor some juice to them, I'd recommend the zx650.4
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Do you have any suggestion on how to pull the wires through?

I will check tomorrow on what kind of amp I got.
      The laughter of the world is merely loneliness pathetically trying to reassure itself. - Neal A. Maxwell

Comment

You could always do it in reverse. Connect the two new wires to the old wire and pull them back thru...starting at the speakers and ending up at the amp. May not be the best/only way, but it should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneman View Post
          You could always do it in reverse. Connect the two new wires to the old wire and pull them back thru...starting at the speakers and ending up at the amp. May not be the best/only way, but it should work.
          x2 on that just had stereo shop do that to mine

Comment

Originally posted by eks View Post
            Do you have any suggestion on how to pull the wires through?

I will check tomorrow on what kind of amp I got.
            Your tower is probably wired with 12ga wire, if so, I would step down to 14ga for 4 pulls. You will need 4 runs of 14ga at least 25ft ea.

Here is how I do it: Tie a roll of contractor string to the starboard spkr wire, fold the tower down and pull both wires out at the joint, bringing the string with it. Now, unbolt the port rear tower leg from the gunwale and prop it up with a block of wood. Reach up under the gunwale and pull the 2 spkr wires down through the lower section of the tower. Next, tie/tape the 4 new spkr wires to the string and pull all 4 through the tower. Pull the wire through the lower section and out the joint first, next, pull the string and wire through the upper section and out the starboard spkr wire hole. Now undo the string and tape, reach through the port spkr hole and fish out 2 of the wires. Erect the tower back to it's upright position taking care not to pinch the wires, bolt the tower leg back to the gunwale, careful not to pinch wires here either, and finish running wires to the amp.

*EDIT* I just realized you have "Z" tower, so your spkr wires will come out the front tower leg and not the rear. Easier to edit then to re-write as you will get the idea. Just use the original wires to pull the string through and then use the string to pull 4 new wires through.
            Last edited by chpthril; 07-16-2008, 12:57 PM.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks for your input. I will try that tonigh.

Comment

Working...
              X