amp kicking out............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amp kicking out............

how's it going guys. here's the stats- 2003 22v, clarion xmd cd player, mtx thunder4405 amp, clarion cabin speakers(?), RF t162c tower speakers(4), not sure about the sub- big kicker i think. two front cabins and two back cabins wired in series, and two pair of RF's wired in series- four pair total all wired in series. here's the problem- turn the volume up to 33 on the remote control and the amp(?) apparently kicks out, comes back on, kicks out, etc., until i turn it back down some. sounds good otherwise. is something wired or set wrong, or is that just all it's gonna do? appreciate the help.

33 is the max volume on my head unit. You are never supposed to play more than 75 - 80 % of max. Like 25. What is the max your head unit goes?
    Let it be!!!

Comment

i don't really know. i have never pushed it that high.

Comment

That's pretty normal. Your amp is clipping to protect the speakers. I'd just make a mental note to back it down a bit and leave it at that., It's ok if it clips once in a while as a reminder, but do it too often, and you risk blowing your speakers.
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Your description points to the amp going into protection. There are a few things that could cause the particular symptoms you are experiencing:
          * The sub might be wired to an impedance that is too low for the amplifier.
          * The amplifier might be clipping and going into protection due to the volume being too great
          * Undervoltage / under current due to tired battery or wiring issues.
          * Heat is a possiblity, but it probably would not turn off and back on as quickly as I think you are suggesting.

Check to see which subwoofer you have, and if possible let us know as much as you can about the woofer, how many voice coils, (1 or 2) what is the impedance of the voice coils... Then how is it wired to the amplifier...

If you have access to a digital multi/volt meter, check the voltage right at the amplifier with the volume turned up to the place where you are experienceing issues. What is the voltage?

Since it works good at lower volumes, it is probably nothing that a little tweaking cannot improve on. Dogbert might be on it exactly, and you might be just asking too much from the amp.

I bet we can improve your situation with a little investigation.
          It's not an optical illusion.
          It just looks like one.....

Comment

i just replaced the batteries on the boat and may still have a weak alternator that we intend to test. the new batteries crank the boat fine, but are a bit lower cca's since that was all we could find short notice. could this be the culprit??

Comment

Originally posted by lethalwillie View Post
              i just replaced the batteries on the boat and may still have a weak alternator that we intend to test. the new batteries crank the boat fine, but are a bit lower cca's since that was all we could find short notice. could this be the culprit??
              Maybe, but I doubt it.
              It's not an optical illusion.
              It just looks like one.....

Comment

sounds good. i keep my boat at the lake and will get all the info i can the next time i am there. thanks.

Comment

all i have come up with so far is the sub is an MTX thunder 6000. i will still try to put a meter on the sub when i get a chance. thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X