Amp shutting off and on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
    I am not a stereo person by any means. But, are you turning on your amp via the HU? Could it be that the signal from the HU to the amp isn't strong enough that the amp doesn't know it is turned on? Mine did this for awhile and would continue to play after 15 minutes of going on and off. Told the stereo installers and that is what they said might be my issue.
    This can be an issue on a custom install of multiple amps (3-4) but I would be surprised if the clarion H/U was having trouble with the remote turn-on for 2 amps.

For 3 or more amps, you might as well just install a $3 relay for the remote amp turn-on, and not worry about it.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by oktige View Post
      to me it sounds like a bad ground.. Is this possible? Because when this started I can here little pops in my speakers when I adjust the taps..
      Taps noise is common. There is an easy fix; AND it is implemented in the TAPS wiring, NOT the stereo wiring. It is not indicative of an amp problem...

Any boat with solenoid controls on hydraulics is prone to the popping. It is due to the energy spike that appears when the solenoid coil is turned on, and again when it turns off. This spike can enter pretty much all amplified stereo systems sharing a common power source. It will not cause damage, but it is annoying.

Did you and CHP find anything out last night on the amp and sub wiring?
      It's not an optical illusion.
      It just looks like one.....

Comment

Did you and CHP find anything out last night on the amp and sub wiring?
        No we didnt. but him and tanner both gave me some good ideas.. I'm about to leave and go to work for my 7 days. when I get back home I will be able to get out their and check stuff out...

Comment

No we didnt. but him and tanner both gave me some good ideas.. I'm about to leave and go to work for my 7 days. when I get back home I will be able to get out their and check stuff out...
          Cool. Know we will get it fixed for ya, one way or the other.

Comment

Sounds good, let us know
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Well I'm almost 99% sure that its the amp. Today when I was out I turned the gain all the way down on the amp.. The boat speakers would still cut in and out. All the sudden it stoped doing it. So I figured it was a loose wire. i tried to turn the gain back on the sub. I get nothing what so ever out of the sub.

Comment

Check the ground wire. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but we were working on a septic pump and check the connection for 115V and it check out fine. As soon as the float activated the switch, it would go to 0V, in other words, when the pump kicked on, it went to 0V. It turned out to be a bad ground wire. Whenever there was a load, it didn't work. Could be the same type of symptom. Just a thought before you toss your amp.
                Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Do you know how to isolate the amp? It's pretty simple, but once your sure your power and grounds are good to go, you basically unplug All the speakers. Leave the RCA's and crank it. This should isolate your RCA's, to let you know you don't have a problem there. Once you've done this, now take one of the crossovers and unplug all the speakers from it. Now plug in this crossover to the amp. and crank it. If it trips, you might try another crossover just to make sure it's not the crossover. Conveniently for us, there's a crossover mounted inside the port side storage compartment which gives EASY and short access to where most people have their amps. Then the next easiest one to rotate in is in the next storage compartment.

If the amp doesn't trip, then start plugging in speakers one at a time.... until it trips. When it trips, you've isolated your problem and can now concentrate on the wiring, or speaker. Good luck.
                  Being a major OU fan and a staunch conservative.... I am perpetually vexed w/ the conundrum of who to hate more. Obama or the Univ. of Saxet.

Comment

Well I'm almost 99% sure that its the amp. Today when I was out I turned the gain all the way down on the amp.. The boat speakers would still cut in and out. All the sudden it stoped doing it. So I figured it was a loose wire. i tried to turn the gain back on the sub. I get nothing what so ever out of the sub.
                    We do not know enough yet from your comment above. We need to isolate the speaker and the wiring as Tanner says. Your sub makes no sound, so I sense that the problem is there somewhere maybe. Sub amp, subwoofer, or subwoofer wiring. Gain settings have nothing to do with an amplifier's short circuit protection in most instances.

Disconnect the sub by removing the subwoofer speaker wires at the amp. If your sub is blown, it will make little or no sound, AND will cause the amp to go in and out.

If that fixes it, the issue is with the sub or the wiring going to it. Carefully reinstall the speaker wires at the amp, making sure there are no little kitty hairs if wire between the two terminals. Then go to the sub and carefully pull the wires off of the sub, separating the two so they are not shorted. Run the amp. If it still stays going, in all likelyhood the sub is bad.

I have to point something out. Low voltage on a tired battery can cause the amp to go in and out as well. When is he last time the battery was charged?

Comment

Originally posted by philwsailz View Post
                      I have to point something out. Low voltage on a tired battery can cause the amp to go in and out as well. When is he last time the battery was charged?
                      O wow, good catch Phil. I think we all just assumed he had already checked the voltage. This could also cause you to have little to no sound coming from the sub, as it has one of the highest power draws.
                      Being a major OU fan and a staunch conservative.... I am perpetually vexed w/ the conundrum of who to hate more. Obama or the Univ. of Saxet.

Comment

Working...
                      X