Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice please....

Hey guys,

I am completely lost when it comes to stereos, so any advice you guys can offer up would be great.

Here is what I have:

Clarion cmd4a head unit (just ordered)
    4 polk db651 interior speakers (already in the boat)
    10" wetsounds sub (just ordered)

1. I need to know what amp (low cost) would run all of this?
    2. What kinds of cables, wires, etc. would I need to install this?
    3. What kind of enclosure should I put the sub in? I saw this one but was wondering if it would work? http://www.audioformz.com/cgi-bin/sh...ONOMONOGLASS10

I apologize for my complete lack of knowledge. I just want my stereo to sound a bit better.

Thanks in advance!

-Quick

Originally posted by quick View Post
    Hey guys,

I am completely lost when it comes to stereos, so any advice you guys can offer up would be great.

Here is what I have:

Clarion cmd4a head unit (just ordered)
    4 polk db651 interior speakers (already in the boat)
    10" wetsounds sub (just ordered)

1. I need to know what amp (low cost) would run all of this?
    2. What kinds of cables, wires, etc. would I need to install this?
    3. What kind of enclosure should I put the sub in? I saw this one but was wondering if it would work? http://www.audioformz.com/cgi-bin/sh...ONOMONOGLASS10

I apologize for my complete lack of knowledge. I just want my stereo to sound a bit better.

Thanks in advance!

-Quick
    Why would you put cheap tires on a Corvette?

Kicker MX700.5 will be a good match for the Polks and the WS-10FA.

If you are mounting the Sub in the bulk-head wall, give it a try without a box. If you want to build a box, download the sub's PDF from Wet Sounds web site and build the box to those specs.

4ga Amp power wire and a 60amp circuit breaker. Twisted/shielded RCA signal cable only as long as needed.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      Why would you put cheap tires on a Corvette?

Kicker MX700.5 will be a good match for the Polks and the WS-10FA.

If you are mounting the Sub in the bulk-head wall, give it a try without a box. If you want to build a box, download the sub's PDF from Wet Sounds web site and build the box to those specs.

4ga Amp power wire and a 60amp circuit breaker. Twisted/shielded RCA signal cable only as long as needed.
      Thanks for the info! I will get the kicker amp you recommended. It is pretty cheap on ebay. As far as the 60amp circuit breaker......where do I get one. Thanks again for all of your help!

-Quick

Comment

Thanks for the info! I will get the kicker amp you recommended. It is pretty cheap on ebay. As far as the 60amp circuit breaker......where do I get one. Thanks again for all of your help!

-Quick
        www.waytekwire.com part #46871

There are some Ebay sellers that have some great pricing that is cheaper then I can buy them wholesale, but the are 06 or 07 close-outs or factory referbs. Nothing wrong with these, but just try to find a seller with a good rep and a good return policy/warranty.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          www.waytekwire.com part #46871

There are some Ebay sellers that have some great pricing that is cheaper then I can buy them wholesale, but the are 06 or 07 close-outs or factory referbs. Nothing wrong with these, but just try to find a seller with a good rep and a good return policy/warranty.
          Thanks again! Any difference from the 06, 07, or 08 models that would benefit me?

Also, is there any amp install kit that I can purchase that would have everything I need?

-Quick

Comment

If you buy an amp installation kit, the ground wire will be about 15 feet too short.

Comment

^^ What Lee said, amp "kits" are made for cars and have a short ground wire to attach to the chassis, which boats dont have. Car amp kits also use fuses, which are ok, but I prefer a manual reset circuit breaker over a fuse.

You will need 2 (apx 20') lengths of amp power wire to run from the battery to the amps. There a few ebay sellers that will sell it either by the foot or in pre-cut rolls. Knuconcepts.com is another place to buy by the foot and price is reasonable.

Comment

I agree completely with where this is going; recommendations for the amp are perfect. However, one shoud consider a 100A Circuit breaker. The amp is capable of pulling 90 amps of current.

FYI
                It's not an optical illusion.
                It just looks like one.....

Comment

Guys,

Thanks for all of your help so far! I have ordered the amp. I will order the 100a circuit breaker. Hopefully everything will be delivered soon.....and I am sure that I will have more questions when this stuff shows up.

-Quick

Comment

Originally posted by philwsailz View Post
                    I agree completely with where this is going; recommendations for the amp are perfect. However, one shoud consider a 100A Circuit breaker. The amp is capable of pulling 90 amps of current.

FYI
                    You would recommend a circuit breaker over a fuse?

Comment

Guys,

Thanks for all of your help so far! I have ordered the amp. I will order the 100a circuit breaker. Hopefully everything will be delivered soon.....and I am sure that I will have more questions when this stuff shows up.

-Quick
                      You can go to Best Buy get yourself one of these:

I found most of the stuff I needed for my stereo project at Best Buy. For the rest, I went to Radio Shack.

I'm with lee on this, just use an inline fuse. Best Buy has all the fuses you need.
                      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I prefer breakers over fuses for the marine environment.

Marine Manual-Reset Circuit breakers:
                        Waterproof
                        Ignition protected
                        Durable
                        No need to keep fuses on hand
                        Reset-able if trips
                        Can be used as an on/off switch

Fuse/Fuse holders:
                        Cheap plastic only last a couple of years and then they start to crack
                        Not waterproof and tend to corrode.
                        Need to have fuses on hand just in case.

Comment

I have the kicker Marine 700.5 to power the 4 in boar speaks and sub. Sounds awesome, that amp is perfect for that setup.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
                            You would recommend a circuit breaker over a fuse?
                            For a marine install, using a marine breaker, for sure.

CHP already laid down the relative merits and benefits.

Oh, BTW, be sure to get a MANUAL RESET breaker.

There are a few out there that are auto-reset. These are BAD.
                            It's not an optical illusion.
                            It just looks like one.....

Comment

as an aside..the circuit breakers I got are smaller and cleaner to install than my 0ga. inline fuses. Circuit breakers look nicer IMO....I also like using the ring terminal ends for some reason
                              Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

Working...
                              X