Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lovin Powell's stereo install - What size speaker wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovin Powell's stereo install - What size speaker wire?

LP is going to install a few things onto his boat. One is a Kicker L5 subwoofer. He will be powering that with a 750.1 Kicker amp.

We ordered a bunch of stuff online, and I told him to go to the local shop to get some 12 guage speaker wire. THe nutheads at the shop said that they do not have any that small and told him to get 8 guage speaker wire for his sub and shafted him 1.20 per foot for 8 guage speaker wire.

I think that he was taken.

Do any of you run 8 guage speaker wire for anything?

If one does calculations on www.bcae1.com, there is no way that there is any audible difference or any major heat issue with even 12 guage wire. Am I nuts? Or are they?

Go to the website and do search for Speaker wire calculator and see what you get.
    Be excellent to one another.

Depends on which L5 he went with, 8", 10", 12", or 15" and 2ohm DVC or 4ohm DVC and how it will be wired......series or parallel.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Forgot those details, since I was thinking it didn't matter because 8 guage is so much overkill.

It is Moki's old L5 12 inch sub. It will be run in parallel and that will get it to 2 Ohms.

Comment

#8 speaker wire? seriously?

That can be a necessity in an SPL competition system, where any loss is unacceptable, but not for this application.

I have used 10 gage speaker wire occasionally. This for the sub section of the touring PA I used when I was running pro sound.

12 gage will be acceptable. It is also readily available. One might be able to measure a loss at the power considered, but it will be negligble, and not noticeable.

Gut check: look at the amp. I do not have a 750.1 in front of me, but I doubt you can get #8 into the speaker terminals....
        It's not an optical illusion.
        It just looks like one.....

Comment

I was off the internet for a few days...sorry about the delay. I talked LP into going back to the shop and trading it in...they said, Oh you mean SPEAKER WIRE?!?!?!?!?!

They were talking amplifier wire, LOL!

He left with some decent speaker wire and all is good now.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
            I was off the internet for a few days...sorry about the delay. I talked LP into going back to the shop and trading it in...they said, Oh you mean SPEAKER WIRE?!?!?!?!?!

They were talking amplifier wire, LOL!

He left with some decent speaker wire and all is good now.
            funny.....
            It's not an optical illusion.
            It just looks like one.....

Comment

LovinPowell, what is up with the stereo install? Is it in yet?

I was told to use battery cable to my speakers, is that overkill? .

Comment

Originally posted by Moki View Post
                I was told to use battery cable to my speakers, is that overkill? .
                I think he ended up with some overhead powerline cable...it doubles as ballast, too

Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Hey lets see some pics of the new stuff. Maske sure you have the tigeowners flag visable
                  Let it be!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X