Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are any of these decent amps to add to my boat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought some used tower speakers last weekend, and am not thinking about selling them, and buying the $500 wetsounds from Monstertower. The page says they have a quick release on them, which would make it so I can use my bimini and still have the speakers pointing down. I am going to call them tomorrow to verify, and get more info. That is, unless anyone has any better ideas.

So, It has been suggested that I add an amp, and I go to ebay and find something that is decently priced. I don't want to spend a ton of money, I still haven't even had my boat on the water yet.

I saw these Sony's, and looks like I can buy a 2 channel amp for $50+. Could someone please tell me if any of these would be decent amps?

With shipping $60

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-XPLOD-250w-...QQcmdZViewItem

With shipping $85

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SONY-Xplod-X...QQcmdZViewItem

With shipping $110

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-XPLOD-800-W...QQcmdZViewItem

The stereo that is in the boat is a Clarion DB175MP

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...294998475.html

It has a 2 channel amp out.

Am I waisting my time/money? Should I buy one of these, and go with the cheaper wetsounds, or is there something else that's better for $400-500?

thanks for all of the help and feedback.

I think most people are going with the Kicker amps or even higher end. Not sure about now, but Sony was so-so with amps years ago. For the Wetsounds someone recommended a Kicker ZX450.2. I have a Kicker 200.2 (< $100 on ebay) right now and they sound good but I was wanting a little more power.

Comment

go with phoenix gold, soundstream,orion, ppi, zapco, kicker, lanzar, dont buy amps like sony kenwood alpine i never had good luck from them and i have owned every one of these amps on ebay bid on them if you lose who cares try again.

Comment

Originally posted by larryueckert View Post
        go with phoenix gold, soundstream,orion, ppi, zapco, kicker, lanzar, dont buy amps like sony kenwood alpine i never had good luck from them and i have owned every one of these amps on ebay bid on them if you lose who cares try again.
        My Kenwoods have done really well.
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Well, I am looking at ebay. It appears as if I can buy a kicker ZX200.2 for $60-70, a ZX250.2 for $80-90, a ZX350.2 for $100 +20 for shipping, and a ZX450 for $150ish. It seems as if the best bang for the buck would be the ZX250.2, is this just as good as the ZX450.2, just with a little less power?

Also, these appear to really draw a ton of power (2 20amp fuses), should I assume I have to add another battery? I am already thinking about doing it, and will probably go with the perco switch, w/out the isolator, that is unless someone talks me out of it.

Comment

If you can spend a little more and get a Kicker, do it!

I'm guessing you are looking at the Monster's loaded with W/S650's? If so, I would recommend at least 100W RMS @ 4ohms.

The first Sony you have listed would get it done, but the 2nd would be better. Of the Kickers, look at the ZX350.2. (110W RMS @ 4 ohms)

Add a battery: depends on how you will use the system. If you plan on spending time at the sandbar or anchored, then I would highly recommend adding a battery with a Perko style switch at a minimum. If you want to go with an automatic type setup, look at the Blue Sea Add-a-Battery (#7650) can be had off of Ebay for $120. Just need battery cable and a battery.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Yes, those are the ones I am thinking about. Are they good speakers? Are they worth the extra $100 over the kickers?

Where does everyone buy their wetsounds from? Monstertowers?

Comment

Yes!
                Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

dogbert - yes to monstertowers, or yes to spend the extra and get the wetsounds, and yes, they are good, even though they are the bottom of the line wetsounds?

Comment

Originally posted by Waterski-Rebel View Post
                    Yes, those are the ones I am thinking about. Are they good speakers? Are they worth the extra $100 over the kickers?

Where does everyone buy their wetsounds from? Monstertowers?
                    Not sure which Kicker drivers they are using, but probably about 30w RMS more = more volume.

Are they worth $100 more a pair then the kickers? Hard to say
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

dogbert - yes to monstertowers, or yes to spend the extra and get the wetsounds, and yes, they are good, even though they are the bottom of the line wetsounds?
                      Basically, I think you get the best value for your money when you order anything from Monster Tower. Their products are high quality. I have the Polks. They are decent, especially for what I paid for them. Combine that with the service and support they give for their products, it's never a bad decision.

I'd love to go Wetsounds because they really do sound much better, but I think my wife would shoot me after I spent $3500 on a new interior, close to $1K for an automatic ballast system and another $500 on various upgrades like Wet Sounds for my in boat speakers and fuel flow manager. Next on my list would be a new Head Unit with a wired remote and the Wet Sounds 420 EQ. But, it'll have to wait a bit.

Oh yeah, let's not forget the Visionair seat I got as an early birthday present.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                        Not sure which Kicker drivers they are using, but probably about 30w RMS more = more volume.

Are they worth $100 more a pair then the kickers? Hard to say
                        The KICKER loaded Monster cans come with the 2008 KS650 coax speaker. The KS650 has an RMS power handling specified at 65 watts RMS. The WS650 has a specified power handling of 100 watts RMS.

The efficiency of both speakers is published at 90 dB 1w/1m, so the two should play at a similar volume for a given power input.

For sure the two speakers will sound different. It is probably left up to you and your opinion to decide which one fits your needs better. At a level, comparing the two is like comparing similar trucks from different auto makers; there are differences, and anyone can argue superiority of either, but most of the time, it comes down to personal taste. I am going to purposely take the high road on this one...

Either speaker is a good choice, and going with Monster for the cans is a great choice regardless! Those guys will really take care of you, with anything you buy from them.
                        It's not an optical illusion.
                        It just looks like one.....

Comment

I feel like my boat is becoming a soap opera.....

I just talked to monster. The single can speakers do not have the quick release option, so they really don't buy me much, other then some newer, probably better speakers.

The used set I bought, have Kicker RS6's in them, which I know "nothing" about. I am now leaning towards finding the right inserts for these speakers, and mounting them upside down (pointing up), or buying new clamps for them (if I can't find the right inserts) and pointing the speakers up. I think I'll still buy an amp, and possible do the 2nd battery.

Does anyone know anything about the RS6's? Are they worth keeping?

I am starting to drive myself crazy!!

I do have another question. How do I remove the seatback, so I can get access to the bottom of the tower? I should probably post this in General tech section.

Comment

I feel like my boat is becoming a soap opera.....

I just talked to monster. The single can speakers do not have the quick release option, so they really don't buy me much, other then some newer, probably better speakers.

The used set I bought, have Kicker RS6's in them, which I know "nothing" about. I am now leaning towards finding the right inserts for these speakers, and mounting them upside down (pointing up), or buying new clamps for them (if I can't find the right inserts) and pointing the speakers up. I think I'll still buy an amp, and possible do the 2nd battery.

Does anyone know anything about the RS6's? Are they worth keeping?

I am starting to drive myself crazy!!

I do have another question. How do I remove the seatback, so I can get access to the bottom of the tower? I should probably post this in General tech section.
                            The RS6 is a good sounding speaker; a real good sounding speaker. Thing is, as I recall it is more of a sound quality speaker; it might not be quite as efficient as you like. Are they worth keeping? The answer is maybe. I think you will do yourself a favor by listening to them. Do you have a way to power them up and check them out easily?

In the meantime, let me dig in the archives, and see what I can find out about them. They are more than a few years old, so give me a little time, okay?
                            It's not an optical illusion.
                            It just looks like one.....

Comment

I'm not sure about your Switch V, but on mine, they were attached via deck screws directly to the fiberglass. I would reach up behind it from the storage locker and see if you can feel screws or bolts back up in there. If they are screws, see my thread on replacing the vinyl. It's got some handy tips to help you remove and re-install your seatbacks without damaging the vinyl.

Comment

Working...
                              X