And Yet another WETSOUNDS install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jason B View Post
    How much does the sub in your storage area help out? I was considering this, but thought its effect would be minimal. What does making it fire downward do for it vs. a sealed box?
    I think it makes a big difference.

We 1st did the box under the dash, with the box and the 12 it sounded so much better then the free air 10. bang for the buck that is the best location in the boat if you are going with a single sub.

For me, I wanted to boat to hit hard so we added a 2nd XS12 in the storage compartment. The face of the sub is sitting just under 2 inches off the bottom. in a custom shaped sealed box.

The benefit of the down firing sub ( I think) is that it fires right into the hull, and this in turn really makes you feel the bass in the boat. and I am hoping the water
    Tige owner since 2006

Comment

I think I see an opportunity to share something...

Unfortunately, many stock installs put a woofer in a free air infinite baffle mounting right in front of the helm. There is many times a coax speaker in that location as well.

In this situation, the woofer actually shares a box, (of sorts) with the full-range coax speaker, and can modulate the mid cone of the coax. The box can be defined as the storage enclosure.

For those of you who have installs where the back of the woofer shares a volume of air with a coax, try putting a box behind the mid, or better yet, behind the woofer.

Done right, the woofer will sound better, and the coax will not be flopping around with pressure off of the woofer.

KS has already addressed this in his install with the woofer box. This is the preferred method, but if you are in a hurry, throw even a plastic tupperware container over the back of the mid; you will be surprised...
      It's not an optical illusion.
      It just looks like one.....

Comment

BTW,

KS, the install looks real good man...

Comment

Originally posted by philwsailz View Post
          KS has already addressed this in his install with the woofer box. This is the preferred method, but if you are in a hurry, throw even a plastic tupperware container over the back of the mid; you will be surprised...
          I can see it now, a bunch of guys going to tupperware parties for sub enclosures.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
            I can see it now, a bunch of guys going to tupperware parties for sub enclosures.
            That is funny....

forgive my oversimplification; it is a refreshing change for me, but I think you understand my point.

Right????

Comment

who made that box for you? that is SWEET
              Everything happens for a reason
              I live my post whore life 30 seconds at a time

Comment

My local installer.

I am actually really lucky to have a great shop in my town and one that has one of Canada's best installers there. He has won so many awards it's sick.

He did both boxes and even traced out the Tige logo's for the box's...

On the carpet one ( backside of dash) he burnt in the logo on the carpet and on the other box, he cut out and placed the Tige logo on the box made out of carpet.

You can see them in the pics if you look close. both are waterproof, mounted off the floor ( suspended) and are designed for the boat and the sub.

He is going to do all the trim for me next week so I will post more pics once the system goes "stealth"
                Tige owner since 2006

Comment

hertz= BIG COIN you aint f-ing joking!!! i about fell out of my chair! The boat looks insane man enjoy!!!! if i told the boss(wife) i was dropping that kind of coin on some amps she would have me commited or take me out back and shoot me! but hell i can just listen to yours from hear in FLA that thing is going to !!!!!!!!!

Comment

LOL- Thanks,

The Hertz stuff rocks, I was all set to go with 4 alpine PDX amps for the system until I heard a shop demo 3 some powered by the Hertz amp.

It sounded so much better! I called my wife over for her to hear the difference and she said "go for it" ........... I have a pretty cool wife.
                    Tige owner since 2006

Comment

Never done marine audio

You've inspired me to look into an audio upgrade so I've got a couple questions about your install.

#1 - For the down firing sub, is there a big hole cut into the floor under that box so that it actually moves the air under there or is it firing directly ON to the floor? I ask because I have no idea what's under the floor in the spot I'd need to cut my hole. Could be a stringer, might be nothing.

#2 - How are y'all mounting those amps to the side wall of the storage? I can just see me running screws through the side of the boat because I don't know how to do it.

Bill

Comment

I think for the down-firing sub that it's actually like an inch off the floor. That's what mine is on my home theater and it's awesome..

As for the mounts, they're mounting them to a board that's attached to the side of the boat.
                        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

On the Downfire Korgae.... how many watts are you putting to it? The reason I ask, is are you not concerned that at full excursion your sub could be slamming into the floor?

I'm not familiar with those subs yet so I don't know how much excursion they have. Maybe 2" is fine... I usually like to see 4 or 5.
                          Being a major OU fan and a staunch conservative.... I am perpetually vexed w/ the conundrum of who to hate more. Obama or the Univ. of Saxet.

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                            I think for the down-firing sub that it's actually like an inch off the floor. That's what mine is on my home theater and it's awesome..

As for the mounts, they're mounting them to a board that's attached to the side of the boat.
                            Thanks dog,
                            That of course begs the question then: How is the board attached to the side of the boat? I still have visions of screws popping through the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              Thanks dog,
                              That of course begs the question then: How is the board attached to the side of the boat? I still have visions of screws popping through the other side.
                              If you look inside the storage areas, you'll see where they put the bulkheads. I'd just figure out a way to mount it to one of those. Also, your floor is going to be pretty thick as well.

Now that you mention it, I think a few folks used some sort of adhesive. The carpet comes off pretty easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                                Thanks dog,
                                you dont have to use 2" screws

Comment

Working...
                                X