No announcement yet.

In Line Fuse or Breaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please understand something here. We are talking about wire size and current draw that is not for the faint of heart. You could arc weld with your main power and ground through the 0 or 2/0 wire we are talking.

Please make sure you take any and all necessary steps to do this install totally by the book. Provide for over-current protection, (that is your in-line fuse you are already asking about, good for you!). When you have the wire run, be sure to secure it to the boat hull neatly, and in every instance be sure to take steps to prevent chafing and cutting of the insulation.

Make sure every connection is done as neatly and securely as possible. This is to help prevent a wire from coming loose, shorting out and going to glowing red and starting a fire, or equally worse, setting off a spark that ignites a flammable vapor explosion.

The list goes on, but understand, I am sharing all of this in the spirit of safety. A fire or an explosion on a boat is a horrible thing to experience. You are adding a system that has a very real potential to be a hazard to you, your family, your friends on board, any boats nearby, and their occupants.

KS, please do this right... Ask all the questions you need to here, and we will do everything we can to make sure your system is installed properly, performs flawlessly, and is a safe addition to your boat. This is not a place for shortcuts.

Forgive me for taking the opportunity to say this in this thread; I mean for every one here who reads this to understand the importance of a safe install, and I do not post this message up here, just to single you out.

A thumpin stereo is a must have on the water! I encourage everyone to do what they can to make sure they are having the best time out on the water, I just want to do everything I can to make sure that I am preaching the message of safety, and preaching the responsibility we have to our families, friends, and fellow boaters to get it right.

Sorry for hopping up on the soap box, but it is the time of the year for me to send out the friendly reminder to everyone.... If somehow this post saves a life, we will never know it, but I would be negligent if I didn't do it. I would hate to not have posted this, and then find out that someone got hurt as a result.
    Last edited by philwsailz; 03-21-2008, 02:19 PM.
    It's not an optical illusion.
    It just looks like one.....

Comment

Totally agree with you 100%.

Safety is top of my list! To be honest, what started this project was the disgust I had with the local stereo shop that installed my dealer purchased Alpine 4.100 for my tower speakers.
      They cut and used a cheap crimp connection close to the battery to connect 8 awg to run both the stock in boat kicker amp and the added Alpine amp. I told them I wanted a high quality wire and that is what they did!

I use to be into car audio about 12 years ago so some of the basic rules ( like the inline fuse) I remember. But back then 4 awg was as big as you could go so that is why I thought I was doing okay with ordering the 4 awg.

I will take pics as I assemble the new system, so you can check and comment as I go and give advice

I will get a 250 fuse or would 200 be better?

Maybe you guys can point me to a good website that has all the various connectors and misc stuff so I can make a one stop shop for the little stuff I still need.

I bought all my stuff so far @ woofers and have been really happy with the help they have provided, but they don't have all the little trick stuff.

Thanks

Korgae
      Tige owner since 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Ks View Post
        Totally agree with you 100%.

Safety is top of my list! To be honest, what started this project was the disgust I had with the local stereo shop that installed my dealer purchased Alpine 4.100 for my tower speakers.
        They cut and used a cheap crimp connection close to the battery to connect 8 awg to run both the stock in boat kicker amp and the added Alpine amp. I told them I wanted a high quality wire and that is what they did!

I use to be into car audio about 12 years ago so some of the basic rules ( like the inline fuse) I remember. But back then 4 awg was as big as you could go so that is why I thought I was doing okay with ordering the 4 awg.

I will take pics as I assemble the new system, so you can check and comment as I go and give advice

I will get a 250 fuse or would 200 be better?

Maybe you guys can point me to a good website that has all the various connectors and misc stuff so I can make a one stop shop for the little stuff I still need.

I bought all my stuff so far @ woofers and have been really happy with the help they have provided, but they don't have all the little trick stuff.

Thanks

Korgae
        Go with the 250.

Chpthril has an installation business, and you could check with him to see what you can buy from him, and also he may have some on-line guides and links for the hottest and best stuff.

Yeah on the pics! Get us as many, as often as you can!

All threads are worthless without pics... *wink wink*

Any questions at all, please feel free to post up and get us involved!
        Last edited by philwsailz; 03-21-2008, 06:26 PM.
        It's not an optical illusion.
        It just looks like one.....

Comment

Working...
        X