What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think?

I think I'm going to be redoing the stereo. I ran it past my stereo guy and he recommended the amps. Any thoughts on problems with wiring, etc?

Here goes:
    CMD5
    2 485s
    Three pairs of XS-620
    WS-420
    Powered by:
    KS 300.2 (Tower)
    KS 900.6 (In Boat + Sub)
    "a what? i can['t] say/spell/pronounce that word..." - wannabewakeboarder
    "the plural of boo is booze."

what??????? I can't hear you!!!!!!!

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by evil0ne View Post
      I think I'm going to be redoing the stereo. I ran it past my stereo guy and he recommended the amps. Any thoughts on problems with wiring, etc?

Here goes:
      CMD5
      2 485s
      Three pairs of XS-620
      WS-420
      Powered by:
      KS 300.2 (Tower)
      KS 900.6 (In Boat + Sub)

I dont think the KS300.2 will do 2 485's justice

KS 300.2: Power output RMS @ 4 ohms 2 x 180 watts

*EDIT* sorry for the typo
      Last edited by chpthril; 02-27-2008, 08:16 PM.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
        I dont think the KS300.2 will do 2 485's justice

KS 300.3: Power output RMS @ 4 ohms 2 x 180 watts
        The KS 300.4 (I don't see a .3) is 4x90 where the KS 300.2 is 2x180 at 4ohms. They look like basically the same amp to me. I don't know the price difference nor am I a wiring expert but I thought the 2 channel was the better option. I know the 485s are 4ohm so I guess bridging the 4 channel is the only way to get the power out of that amp.

Comment

Originally posted by evil0ne View Post
          The KS 300.4 (I don't see a .3) is 4x90 where the KS 300.2 is 2x180 at 4ohms. They look like basically the same amp to me. I don't know the price difference nor am I a wiring expert but I thought the 2 channel was the better option. I know the 485s are 4ohm so I guess bridging the 4 channel is the only way to get the power out of that amp.
          Fixed my typo, sorry. I think a 2 chnl amp is the right choice, 1 485 per chnl, but the 485's need about 300w RMS each. I think you will find that amp is not stable at 2ohms in the bridged mode. It will run hot, clip, draw a lot of current, and eventually fail IMHO.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
            Fixed my typo, sorry. I think a 2 chnl amp is the right choice, 1 485 per chnl, but the 485's need about 300w RMS each. I think you will find that amp is not stable at 2ohms in the bridged mode. It will run hot, clip, draw a lot of current, and eventually fail IMHO.
            Better ideas then Arc? That's the new line he's been pushing. I don't see a lot of 600W 2 channel amps out there. I could do an Alpine PDX 2.150 on each.

Comment

THE 300.4 should be fine. Bridged it gives 350 rms per 2 channels at 4 ohms. Then 1 channel to each 485,. Perfect fit.
              Let it be!!!

Comment

Or
                Cadence ZRS 3002 for the towers
                http://www.infiniteelectronix.com/in...OD&ProdID=1305

and Cadence FX 5100 for interior speakers and sub
                http://www.infiniteelectronix.com/in...OD&ProdID=1283

Or talk to Phil about kicker. I have heard good things about Arc but are a little price.
                Last edited by xpjim1; 02-27-2008, 09:42 PM.
                Let it be!!!

Comment

Alright, I will jump in...

Here, for the 485's a good KICKER amp would be the 08ZX850.2, good for 295 real pounding RMS watts into each speaker.

For the 6 in boat speakers, the KICKER 08ZX650.4 will deliver around 120 watts RMS into each 4 ohm speaker.

You do not specify a subwoofer in your grocery list. Which one do you intend to use?
                  It's not an optical illusion.
                  It just looks like one.....

Comment

Go EVIL!!!!!

I agree, I understand that a little more juice will be needed to really make the 485's sing.
                    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

i agree with jim go with the 300.4 in place of the 300.2 and you should be golden. as i would not run the amps at 2ohm either. BTW what type of money are those amps going for?

Comment

The boat has a 12" JL. I'm not sure if it is an older W3 or worse yet. I was hoping to somehow use the 4 channels on the KS900 for the in boat and then the 550W bridged 4 ohm for the sub. Not sure how to wire 6 cabin speakers to 4 channels but I don't get paid the big bucks. Anyway, I've known this guy for a long time and I'm sure we'll figure something out.

Comment

Evilone, I ran Arc amps in my old boat. Used the FD4150 on a pair of 485's and it rocked. The new KS has even more power. So you will like that set up. The guys at Hydrotunes that did my RZ4 use a lot of Arc amps with our speakers. You would just parallel 2 pairs of in boats on the 2 chs running those in 2 ohm stereo. The other pair of the other chans. Then you have 6 spks on the 4 ch portion and the sub on the other portion of the 6 ch.

Tim
                          Wet Sounds

Comment

If I understand there would be 4 speakers running at 2ohm stereo and then the other set would be at 4ohm. It actually kind of got me thinking that I could then fade front to back (not sure when it would be important) but not sure how that would work with the WS420. Could I take the front output from the CMD5 direct to the front of the 900.6 for the bow speakers and the rear from the CMD5 to the WS-420 then to the 900.6 for the "cabin" speakers?

Comment

You could do it that way but you would lose the EQ functions of the WS420 on the front speakers. I would just come out of the WS420 for the in boats and run them all. Since you can balance the volume, you won't need to really fade the fronts out.

Tim
                              Wet Sounds

Comment

Working...
                              X