Pioneer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pioneer

What is everyones opinion on Pioneer stereo equipment. I have always had outstanding performance from the stuff and I am thinking of converting my boat over to it. In order to do what I want to do I have to buy two new amps each being 1200 watts each. This way I only run at half power to keep my amps from over heating. I want to run everything in parallel instead of series this way I can get good clean power to the speakers.

I have used a lot of Pioneer stuff in my cars... They build quality gear...
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/zachgarcia
    http://www.facebook.com/people/Zach-Garcia/1327360382

Comment

Most brands have decent amps at the upper ends of their lines. As long as you stay away from the low end, you should be good.

A good amp will make any speaker sound better.
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Pioneer is pretty good no matter the item. I have one of their amp/tuners for a stereo system, and it's great. I like their LCD HDTVs, and their car stereo systems are darn nice. I think you'll be OK.

Mike
        Ambivalent? Yes. Or Not.

Comment

I've always had Pioneer HU in all my cars/trucks
          Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

I have had good luck with their HU but their amps were never good to me. But I may have bought the low end of their amps, I can't remember it's been so long.
            Originally posted by G-MONEY
            It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

I had a top of the line HU when I was a young lad. I hated it and haven't went back since. I've never been impressed with them.

Just personal preference, but they seem to be very busy now where some other brands are a little less bling and flash while performing as well or better.
              Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

I have been looking at the eclipse amp also. I need to gain 1000w over what I have right now to get my current system to par. It is way under build and over worked after a good study of what I have. What about the eclipse amps?

Comment

get zapco.

if your looking for that much watts you want a grade a amp IMO.

Gonna cost you but it's worth it in the end.

It's like cars, cheap cars are just that, cheap. You get what you pay for.

I love my zapco, and have not had any problems, but it's all just personal preference honestly.
                  Originally posted by G-MONEY
                  It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

What are you running in parallel? I wouldn't run anything in parallel, unless I had to. This is going to put a 2ohm load (assuming you go with a typical 4ohm speaker such as the 4 Kicker KS 65.2 component tower speakers ) at each chnl of the amp that has a paralleled circuit on it. I would guess this would cause the amp to generate more heat at the same volume level then the same amp wired 1 speaker per chnl.

Hopefully someone will correct my if I'm wrong, but I think this is how it will work; In theory, the amp will put out 2x watts @ 2ohm then @ 4ohm. The amp will work harder and produce more heat @ 2ohms, and the net watts split to each speaker will be about the same as if wired @ 4ohm.

For your 4 tower speakers, all you need is a 4 chnl amp with about 80 to 100 RMS per chnl and those babies are going to scream.

Just my
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                      What are you running in parallel? I wouldn't run anything in parallel, unless I had to. This is going to put a 2ohm load (assuming you go with a typical 4ohm speaker such as the 4 Kicker KS 65.2 component tower speakers ) at each chnl of the amp that has a paralleled circuit on it. I would guess this would cause the amp to generate more heat at the same volume level then the same amp wired 1 speaker per chnl.

Hopefully someone will correct my if I'm wrong, but I think this is how it will work; In theory, the amp will put out 2x watts @ 2ohm then @ 4ohm. The amp will work harder and produce more heat @ 2ohms, and the net watts split to each speaker will be about the same as if wired @ 4ohm.

For your 4 tower speakers, all you need is a 4 chnl amp with about 80 to 100 RMS per chnl and those babies are going to scream.

Just my
                      Sounds good but I need to get an amp that is high quality and has the heat seeking capability to stay cool. When I had a pro stereo builder run the specs of what I currently have he says I would be best to add at minimum an amp that is 600W by its self for the sub and get my sub box built, Then hook up a 1200W 4 channel with one channel for each speaker on my tower in yes you are correct Series is the way to go from what he told me. I am guessing that is why he is saying to get an amp with plenty of power on each channel then I don't have to push the amp to it limits. I have read up on the Pioneer amps and the cheap series I would not own but the higher end series are pretty nice for the money. ZAPCO amps are just expensive. If I go that rout I will be saving for a little while. I have to recover from Christmas right now.

Comment

Originally posted by anhaney View Post
                        Sounds good but I need to get an amp that is high quality and has the heat seeking capability to stay cool. When I had a pro stereo builder run the specs of what I currently have he says I would be best to add at minimum an amp that is 600W by its self for the sub and get my sub box built, Then hook up a 1200W 4 channel with one channel for each speaker on my tower in yes you are correct Series is the way to go from what he told me. I am guessing that is why he is saying to get an amp with plenty of power on each channel then I don't have to push the amp to it limits. I have read up on the Pioneer amps and the cheap series I would not own but the higher end series are pretty nice for the money. ZAPCO amps are just expensive. If I go that rout I will be saving for a little while. I have to recover from Christmas right now.
                        If you go with a 4chnl (1 spkr/chnl) for the tower, this will be the ideal setup and would be neither parallel or series.

I'm guessing the specs you are posting for the amps are the advertised "Max watt output"??? Since we know the Kicker KS 65.2's are 4ohm drivers, shop for an amp who's 4ohm RMS Watts out matches (or slightly higher) the rated RMS of the Kickers, which I think is around 80W.

Here is a question for the Big boys; how would the heat generation and current draw of a "way more then needed amp" playing at a low volume level compare to the heat generated and current draw of a properly match amp/speaker setup?
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                          Here is a question for the Big boys; how would the heat generation and current draw of a "way more then needed amp" playing at a low volume level compare to the heat generated and current draw of a properly match amp/speaker setup?
                          I am a big boy and have no idea of the answer to your question
                          Let it be!!!

Comment

Good question CHP. I will pose that question. Maybe I should go with a Kicker amp that matches the speakers. Is Tige having any issues with those amps cutting out at high volume when cranking. These Clairions I have can not handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by anhaney View Post
                              Good question CHP. I will pose that question. Maybe I should go with a Kicker amp that matches the speakers. Is Tige having any issues with those amps cutting out at high volume when cranking. These Clairions I have can not handle it.
                              I've only had my kicker go out once because of heat and we have it cranked up all day. Now I just keep the door open on hot days and have no problems...

it was about 105° on the water
                              Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X