Generator Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator Install

Does anybody have a generator installed to run thier stereo? I was considering this but wasn't real sure how the storage compartment would like the exhaust fumes.

This seems like a better alternative to 6 batteries and the necessary headaches associated with them.

I wasn't real sure how to hook them up either; I've done it before on my MX trailer through an inverter but that was a very basic 12v deck with no amps and only 2 speakers.
    Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

um, a generator would not power mine not one I could put into the boat.
    Originally posted by G-MONEY
    It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

there is a generator you can attach to your motor, its called an alternator

jp
      Everything happens for a reason
      I live my post whore life 30 seconds at a time

Comment

yup, I have one, and it's a big one!!

Comment

Originally posted by Domsz06 View Post
          yup, I have one, and it's a big one!!
          Yeah, now you just need to add a little electrical stimulation to your already thumpin' back seats. (Oh, did I really just say that)
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

ha ha ha, you mean like a rising servo, i mean mast I mean seat

Comment

Originally posted by Domsz06 View Post
              ha ha ha, you mean like a rising servo, i mean mast I mean seat
              Hey, they have pop-up pylons...
              Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

rothflmao!!

Comment

Dom,
                  I've read your stereo thread and saw your project. My stereo is TAME in comparison. An 1100 watt gen. would be totally adequate for me. I think there are small power plants that would fade with yours!!! I was just at Bass Pro Shop looking at the marine batteries-- you have more than they had in the whole store-- not even joking.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason B View Post
                    Does anybody have a generator installed to run thier stereo? I was considering this but wasn't real sure how the storage compartment would like the exhaust fumes.

This seems like a better alternative to 6 batteries and the necessary headaches associated with them.

I wasn't real sure how to hook them up either; I've done it before on my MX trailer through an inverter but that was a very basic 12v deck with no amps and only 2 speakers.
                    I doubt anyone here does, but I have seen several examples of Honda 2KW generators being installed. Slick setup typically; the Honda's are quiet, and it is typically fairly easy to route the exhaust through a port in the hull. Just be careful and mindful of CO poisoning!!!!

That being said, the generator typically used is 110 output, and the typical install then also has an inverter/charger not unlike Domsz's. It will greatly extend the life of a system, yet still requires a few batteries....

GO study the HOTBOAT Audio / Video forum; that is where I saw the pics, or post up in the A/V section; some of the guys that are regulars there might pitch in with some good advice.
                    It's not an optical illusion.
                    It just looks like one.....

Comment

Makita sponsors my MX team and they gave me a SUPER SLICK little 1100. It is every bit as quite or quieter than the 1k Hondas. The exhaust is pretty stubby so it may be tough getting something on there, where there's a will there's a way though. Cutting a hole in my transom is not something I'd be excited to do.

Comment

I would think that a bank of batteries would run the stereo longer then a tank of gas in the gen. would last

Permanent loss of storage space
                        Heat
                        Exhaust
                        Cost of a marine generators (would not want to use a "hardware store" type gen)
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Now that I've had a cold one I'm thinking clearly now

I would say go with the batteries, unless you want to do this to say "cause I can"

Do the math: find out what your system draws, how long you want to play it, and you will come up with the needed Amp/hrs. From that, you can decide how many batteries you will need.

Est. cost

batteries = $80 ea
                          boxes = $10
                          battery cable = $25 per battery
                          Isolator = $10
                          or Perko switch = $45
                          On board charger/tender = $120

Once the install is done, very little maintenance other then plugging in the tender over night to top the batteries off.
                          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by philwsailz View Post
                            I doubt anyone here does, but I have seen several examples of Honda 2KW generators being installed. Slick setup typically; the Honda's are quiet, and it is typically fairly easy to route the exhaust through a port in the hull. Just be careful and mindful of CO poisoning!!!!

That being said, the generator typically used is 110 output, and the typical install then also has an inverter/charger not unlike Domsz's. It will greatly extend the life of a system, yet still requires a few batteries....

GO study the HOTBOAT Audio / Video forum; that is where I saw the pics, or post up in the A/V section; some of the guys that are regulars there might pitch in with some good advice.
                            my charger that is onboard my boat is NOT designed to run off a generator, it says so in bold print due to the sine wave that a generator makes when producing electricity, so if your gonna do that route then you could.

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                            I would think that a bank of batteries would run the stereo longer then a tank of gas in the gen. would last

Permanent loss of storage space
                            Heat
                            Exhaust
                            Cost of a marine generators (would not want to use a "hardware store" type gen)
                            Agreed

Makita sponsors my MX team and they gave me a SUPER SLICK little 1100. It is every bit as quite or quieter than the 1k Hondas. The exhaust is pretty stubby so it may be tough getting something on there, where there's a will there's a way though. Cutting a hole in my transom is not something I'd be excited to do.
                            The first hole is the hardest to cut.

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                            Now that I've had a cold one I'm thinking clearly now

I would say go with the batteries, unless you want to do this to say "cause I can"

Do the math: find out what your system draws, how long you want to play it, and you will come up with the needed Amp/hrs. From that, you can decide how many batteries you will need.

Est. cost

batteries = $80 ea
                            boxes = $10
                            battery cable = $25 per battery
                            Isolator = $10
                            or Perko switch = $45
                            On board charger/tender = $120

Once the install is done, very little maintenance other then plugging in the tender over night to top the batteries off.

I agree here too.

also if your system is tame, then you only need 2 batteries your talking 100 bucks. before this system I just had the two stock batteries and had 3 amps with 6 internal speakers, one sub and the NVS's and I never killed the batteries. Granted I ran the engine at the top and bottom of every hour for 5 minutes, but still even that system could go for a few hours on 2 batteries. There is no way I'd put a generator unless your just doing it to say you can.

Comment

Dom,
                              I've read your stereo thread and saw your project. My stereo is TAME in comparison. An 1100 watt gen. would be totally adequate for me. I think there are small power plants that would fade with yours!!! I was just at Bass Pro Shop looking at the marine batteries-- you have more than they had in the whole store-- not even joking.

That is funny about the bass pro shop part ha ha ha.

Also like I said in the bottom one, add 2 batteries so your running three on the system and one in the starter and you will have PLENTY of power and juice, just run the engine at the top of the hour and you will be fine. Plus batteries don't take up nearly as much space and are a LOT safer IMO!!

Comment

Working...
                              X