Options for an Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Options for an Amp

Got a strange one and looking for some thoughts, opinions, and technical advise.

My dealer has an RZ in stock that 3 people have worked on the stereo and it is not correct. The one that sold him the set-up, 1 that installed it, and another that said he could "make it right" I hate batting cleanup some times

Here is what I've got to work with:
    6 Kicker km 620 coaxials on the tower powered by a KX 350.4 Dont know how it is wired yet, will be on it tomorrow.
    4 KM's in the cabin running off the head unit.
    Clarion H/U
    No sub.

I feel this thing needs a 2nd amp and what I would like to do is move the cabin spkrs to the kx350 and come up with a better solution for the 6 pack on the tower.

Km650: 4 ohm, 195 peak/65 RMS

kx350.4: watts @ 2ohm = 90x4
    watts @ 4ohm bridged = 175x2

Thanks in advance,
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

I'd PM philwsailz and ask him. He knows his Kicker stuff inside out.

I think you have a problem on the tower any way you look at it because you don't have enough channels. If you ran four speakers off 2 of the channels, you'd be way over-powered on those and would run the danger of clipping all the time.

I agree with moving the tower amp to the cabin speakers. Not sure about the tower, unless you got several 2 channel amps.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I'm with Dog, not enough channels and underpowered to boot i would think.
      "Call me anything you want ... Just don't call me NOBODY!

Comment

I would hook the .2 straight to the tower speakers, 2ohm per channel, go with a .5 for the cabin so you have fade and balance with a seperate channel for a sub. Then he could add the sub later with no changes to the power.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          Got a strange one and looking for some thoughts, opinions, and technical advise.

My dealer has an RZ in stock that 3 people have worked on the stereo and it is not correct. The one that sold him the set-up, 1 that installed it, and another that said he could "make it right" I hate batting cleanup some times

Here is what I've got to work with:
          6 Kicker km 620 coaxials on the tower powered by a KX 350.4 Dont know how it is wired yet, will be on it tomorrow.
          4 KM's in the cabin running off the head unit.
          Clarion H/U
          No sub.

I feel this thing needs a 2nd amp and what I would like to do is move the cabin spkrs to the kx350 and come up with a better solution for the 6 pack on the tower.

Km650: 4 ohm, 195 peak/65 RMS

kx350.4: watts @ 2ohm = 90x4
          watts @ 4ohm bridged = 175x2

Thanks in advance,
          PM me or call the office; you have the number... otherwise:

6 on the tower is an oddball. You will want to run a pair of speakers on one half of the amp, and then the other two pair SERIES WIRED to the other half of the amp. The amp will see 4 ohms on two channels, and 8 ohms on the other two channels. It will not make full power, but it would be hard to hear a major difference with your ears, and the amp will run hard and COOL with that load all day long, no problems.

Ideally you need another KX350.4, or even better, the new MX350.4 marine amp for the boat speakers. Same power, same basic circuit, just a more robust amplifier for the environment. That will drive the in-boat speakers handily.

Use front pre-out for the boat amp and speakers, rear pre-out for the tower amp and speakers.

If you are going to consider adding a sub, think about using the marine 5-channel amp, the MX700.5

BTW, who built the tower speaekr setup? I know of a few guys, but am curious....

Howzat?
          It's not an optical illusion.
          It just looks like one.....

Comment

UPDATE

For those hanging on the edge of your seat Here is what I found when I got into this thing this AM

KX350. not a .4
            2 spks on 1 side and 1 spkr on the other side are wire parallel and so on, so the 2 chnl amp is about 1.5ohms on each channel.

The cabin has 5 not 6 spks running off the head unit; 2 bow spks parallel into 1 chnl, 2 rear spks parallel into another chnl, and the last one by it's self on a 3rd chnl

Based on the everyone's input, here's what I think i'm going to do.

Kicker 700.5 for the cabin (5th chnl for a sub later)

keep the KX350.2 and re-wire the tower setup as fallows: wire 2 spks in series and then parallel with the 3rd (same way on the other bank of 3) this will give us about a 2.4ohm load @ each channel.

Also found that the amp power wire fuse is at the amp, not at the battery where it should be. A fuse only works if it is between the battery and the "short". Odds of there being a "short" in that 16" piece of wire from the fuse holder to the amp is slim to none So if this power wire ever shoted to a ground, it would turn into a glowing moltent glob til the battery blew or just catch the boat on fire.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Sounds like a definite cluster to me. 5 cabin speakers? WTF? Did Forrest Gump do the install?
              Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                Sounds like a definite cluster to me. 5 cabin speakers? WTF? Did Forrest Gump do the install?
                heh heh heh...

I think I will leave it alone...

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                  Stupid is as stupid does

Comment

Stupid is as stupid does
                    Momma always said boats were like a box of chocolates...

Chp, we just can't can we? (snicker)

Comment

Originally posted by philwsailz View Post
                      Momma always said boats were like a box of chocolates...

Chp, we just can't can we? (snicker)
                      If this was a "side job" I was doing in the driveway, I would take this oportunity to warn my fellow Tige owners of the kinda work that ****** does

Comment

If this was a "side job" I was doing in the driveway, I would take this oportunity to warn my fellow Tige owners of the kinda work that ****** does
                        I will take the opportunity to tell him about wiring to safe impedancesss...

And for those of you curious, we are NOT going to tell on this guy. No point in it. Chp is fixing things on his side, and I will help to make sure that some education takes place.

Comment

Working...
                        X