Speaker Wiring/Crossover Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaker Wiring/Crossover Suggestion

I have recently installed 12 component sets of MB Quart Premium speakers in my boat which are being powered by two precision power dcx-1000.4 amplifiers. My issue is that each component set has its own crossover, and I would rather not have these crossovers in my tower speaker enclosures, or behind my speakers in the boat (get soaked everytime I take in a wave of water). I also don't like the look of 12 of these crossovers bundled together in my hull.

I also have an onboard 3 way active crossover which I am using to individually control each of the amplifiers (2 speaker and 1 woofer amp). My thought/question was to run the tweeters to one amplifier, and run the midbass drivers to the other amplifier. Would this work with my active crossover? Would the amplifiers overpower the tweeters/midbass drivers (since there is no crossover resistance for protection)? would this be a simple process to complete? How do I know how much prolonged power (aside from factory rms ratings) a tweeter can hold before it blows?

Component systems are specifically designed to work with those crossovers. There's alot more going on in that box than signal frequency cutoffs. If you "have" to remove the boxes, make sure the drivers are the correct load, make sure the tweets/drivers are getting a correct level, and then set the frequency cutoff accordingly. IMO, I would find a way to hide the boxes and use them.

One huge advantage to using the passive boxes that come with the comp sets is that you will never cause them to clip by sending a flat signal. The X-over usually take scare of that.
    http://www.wakeboatworld.com
    []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Yea I was thinking that it was a little more difficult than just setting an active crossover. Thanks for the answer!

Comment

Originally posted by Chill0987 View Post
        Yea I was thinking that it was a little more difficult than just setting an active crossover. Thanks for the answer!
        Just saw this one.

What you suggest is possible, but I agree with SP. There is a lot that would go into setting it up correctly... BUT....... You are almost guarantted to blow the tweeters with accidental low-frequency input. It even happens to the pros, trust me.

Simple answer: yes, you could do it.

The rest of the answer: Unless you have really deep pockets, it is not a worthwhile experiment.
        It's not an optical illusion.
        It just looks like one.....

Comment

Working...
        X