speaker hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speaker hum

I have recently added some fans to my system to aid in cooling my amplifiers, but I have now created speaker noise. I ran a completely separate relay with the only common point being the remote wire. I also installed a ground loop isolator to see if it would help; it helped some, but still no luck on total reduction. Any advice on what to do to prevent this hum? The hum only occurs when the fans are on.

Originally posted by Chill0987 View Post
    I have recently added some fans to my system to aid in cooling my amplifiers, but I have now created speaker noise. I ran a completely separate relay with the only common point being the remote wire. I also installed a ground loop isolator to see if it would help; it helped some, but still no luck on total reduction. Any advice on what to do to prevent this hum? The hum only occurs when the fans are on.
    Take the power and the ground for the fans straight to the battery. Don't tie the power and ground to any other wires.

Remove your radio ground wire from its current connection and try taking it to the ground connection on the amp. Yeah, sounds like a funny suggestion, but it has a probability of working.

Lastly, keep us posted; this is a common problem, and others have implemented other "fixes" with varying degrees of success. WE can work through it, if we all work together!
    It's not an optical illusion.
    It just looks like one.....

Comment

phil, I have to run a relay to get the fans to turn on with the switch. I currently have the power/ground going straight to the battery (on the relay), the remote from the radio, and the power out from relay to fan. The fan ground is going to the batt ground. You are suggesting taking fan gnd and running to amp gnd? Also, i have 3 amps,so should i just go to distribution gnd?

Comment

phil, I have to run a relay to get the fans to turn on with the switch. I currently have the power/ground going straight to the battery (on the relay), the remote from the radio, and the power out from relay to fan. The fan ground is going to the batt ground. You are suggesting taking fan gnd and running to amp gnd? Also, i have 3 amps,so should i just go to distribution gnd?
        Hmmm... It sounds like you didi the right thing taking the fan power wire back to the batts. Relay has to be turned on by the H/U, so that is fine.

No, on the ground wire move, take the RADIO ground to the amp ground. If the fans are already grounded directly to the batts, leave the fan ground there.

Amp grounds should all be straight to the battery, and all at the same battery terminal, (if you have multiple batteries).

Comment

Phil-
          I will try the ground change this weekend and let you know if that does anything. Could the proximity of the fan power wires to the speaker wires have anything to do with the hum?

Comment

Phil-
            I will try the ground change this weekend and let you know if that does anything. Could the proximity of the fan power wires to the speaker wires have anything to do with the hum?
            Fan power wires next to speaker wires will cause a MEASURABLE noise on the speaker wires, but you will NOT hear it.

Now, fan power wires next to RCA cables will make LOTS of noise. Make sure the fan power wires are as far away as possible from the RCA's, and if they have to cross, make them cross at 90 degress, or as close to that as possible.

Comment

Working...
            X