pro 80's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pro 80's

i am thinking of putting 2 wetsounds pro 80s on my toer to replace the 4 6x9s. i have a kx 250.2 amp pushing the 4 6x9s and was wondering if that amp would be enough to push the pro 80s.

the pro 80s are rated for 200 rms 400 peak at 4 ohms.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?

The KX250.2 will run the speakers, but you will only be putting somewhere around 85 watts into each speaker according to publlished CEA-2006 power output for that amplifier.

According to the same CEA-2006 spec, you could use a larger amp like the Kicker ZX550.2 and have roughly 205 watts for each speaker.

For either setup, it is tempting to run the amp full range, but it is typical for tower speakers to not play low frequencies well. You can and should use the crossover set to hi-pass, and then set the crossover frequency knob on the front of the amp to somewhere between 50 and 80 Hz. This will prevent the amp from amplifying the lowest frequencies, and will prevent the speakers from trying to play them. The net effect will be a more efficient setup which will maybe play a tiny bit louder, and the midrange drivers will not be flopping back and forth trying to play low notes that they can't play.

I would say try the KX250.2 and see what you think. Then consider the ZX550.2 if you think you need more. My hunch is that you will probably be happy with your current amp, at least for a while...
    It's not an optical illusion.
    It just looks like one.....

Comment

in your opinion do you think that they will be louder than the 4 kicker 6x9s that are currently up there now? you cant realy hear them more than about 30 feet out or so!

Comment

What kind of speakers are your current 6x9's?
        If you ain't falling.. you ain't trying hard enough..

Comment

Originally posted by wakeboarder247 View Post
          What kind of speakers are your current 6x9's?
          Kicker.....

Originally posted by kana12 View Post
          in your opinion do you think that they will be louder than the 4 kicker 6x9s that are currently up there now? you cant realy hear them more than about 30 feet out or so!

Comment

oops.. I missed that part. lol

I have 4 Polk 6x9's in a Wet Box w/ a 450ish (don't remember the exact wattage) Kenwood amp powering them and I can hear them at the end of the line wakeboarding. I think that your kicker's might be underpowered which is why you can't hear them past 30 feet. But if you want LOUD then two pro 80's will be loud.

I say go for the pro 80's and keep your current amp and if you aren't happy with the output of the 80's then upgrade the amp. If correctly powered, you'll be able to hear the pro 80's when wakeboarding just fine!
            If you ain't falling.. you ain't trying hard enough..

Comment

Originally posted by kana12 View Post
              By the "nature of the beast" the horn-loaded speakers will be louder. Sound quality will be different, as you will be listening to a different type of device. Don't ask me which is better; sound quality outside of a few quantitative measurements is SO subjective....

Either way, at the end of the rope, you are looking for SPL, and I think you will be pleased!
              It's not an optical illusion.
              It just looks like one.....

Comment

Phil's right. When I added tower speakers to mine, the guys at Monster also recommended turning down bass to the tower speakers. It could be that the 6x9 speakers you have up there now are not tuned for projecting like the Pro 80s are. The Pro 80s are designed to project to a rider as are the Tantrums I have on my tower. I know mine are pretty darn loud, although not as loud as Dom's (I heard he caused an earthquake with his)
                Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

the horns really project the sound, that being said, the project it where you point them. I have had to adjust mine before due to the fact that I pointed them over my head while boarding, or into the water and couldn't hear them. Needless to say, when they are pointed right, you can hear them for miles!! it's amazing!
                  Originally posted by G-MONEY
                  It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                    although not as loud as Dom's (I heard he caused an earthquake with his)

WE JUST AN EARTHQUAKE IN CHATSWORTH. I'M NOT 100% POSITIVE BUT I THINK DOMZ CAUSED IT.
                    Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

he he he, sorry if I did any damage!

Comment

Sacramento isn't by the coastline yet.... Turn it up Dom!!!!!!!!!!! I need my property value to increase.

Comment

Originally posted by Domsz06 View Post
                          he he he, sorry if I did any damage!
                          Originally posted by da.bell View Post
                          Sacramento isn't by the coastline yet.... Turn it up Dom!!!!!!!!!!! I need my property value to increase.
                          Not enough according to DA
                          Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

ha ha ha, sorry guys, guess I do need to crank it up!

Comment

No please don't. I'm not ready to live underwater........

Comment

Working...
                              X