Got my Stereo Fixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my Stereo Fixed

I was blown away that the main reason my stereo was not working was the charge on the batteries was so low. I have 3 - Odyssey 2150's I guess over the course of the entire season I had not had enough charge time on them so they eventually dropped too low to run correctly. I was able to charge them for 14 hours day 1, 16 hours day 2, and another 18 hours day 3 so they are back to full go. It took the first day to get the stereo going again. Hind sight I was only getting about 8 hours or less to charge the bank each trip out and I would run it hard for 2 days then get 8 hours on it. Over the season (March-Mid July) it was done. I am glad it was a no cost fix and something simple. I just need to remember to pull my boat every third trip and get a full 16-20 hour charge on it.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    Winston Churchill

yeah I had that same problem in that I accidently was using my 1 battery bank, not my 6 battery banks. Couldn't figure out why the subs wouldn't work when I turned the NVS's on.
    Originally posted by G-MONEY
    It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Are either of you using on-board chargers? I got a dual-battery Pro-Marine on mine and they really charge up a battery quickly. Now I have 2 starters, but I have a similar setup on my fishing boat, where I have 2 deep cycle and 1 starter.

When my alternater quit working, I was able to run on battery alone for hours and then just throw it on the charger for a few hours and be fully charged. It was nice just be able to plug my boat into an outlet
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I use a charger. But, it doesnt charge very well when the boat is playing and I"m letting it charge, not sure why. My issue was I was using my 1 battery bank, instead of my 6 battery bank. I had been listening on the 1 batt for about 3 hours, so no wonder it was dead they are all charged up now, ready for the reunion

Comment

Good thing you had 6 to spare, they probably could have jumpstarted a whole fleet! Are you using a battery isolator or do you have a manual switch?
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

manual switch. I just forgot that my number 1 position is my starter and 2 was my banks, or maybe it's backwards. Now I just plug the boat in and turn everything off but the switch and let it charge, so that way I don't loose my presets on my HU. I'll hopefully be running a always hot for the memory on that one this week, but if not, i'll get to it soon. Gotta get this box linexd before this weekend, and the carpet is a PITA to pull off.

Comment

It just crossed my mind that I most likely not getting a full charge on my batteries also. I'm going to put a long charge on them after I get the boat back from the shop.
              Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Mine stays plugged in unless I'm towing it. Figured might as well, as keeping them in a good state in the HOT weather up here is better. Plus they will last longer, oh wait I"m taking them back every year anyway

Comment

I have an on board charger. Just I don't get a full 24+ hours to charge it unless the boat is at home. Next year I think I am going to pull the boat every other trip to get a better charge on the bank. I am just amazed that over 6 months it finally was that low. Some times I will run extension cords from my tower over the water to the camp site power if the boat is close enough but that doesn't happen very often.
                  Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
                  Winston Churchill

Comment

You might want to look into a charger that has more amps/hr. It sure was nice when my batteries gave way and I was able to get a quick charge on there in only 1 hrs time that lasted me 2 more hours. Sure, it's more expensive, but you should be able to recharge in 4-5 hrs in most cases. I ran my batteries down to the point where the boat would no longer run.

Comment

my 40 amp ond does that. It's really nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Domsz06 View Post
                        my 40 amp ond does that. It's really nice!
                        I would look at getting a charger that is a bit faster as well. Overnite should be more than enough.

Some may argue that a slower charge is easier on the batteries, but hey, we no longer live in the 1950's. Things should be better now.
                        Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Not only that but your battery won't last more than 2 years anyways. I've gone to buying the cheapest batteries at Walmart because the expensive ones don't last any longer and it's a hassle to get them warrantied.

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                            Not only that but your battery won't last more than 2 years anyways. I've gone to buying the cheapest batteries at Walmart because the expensive ones don't last any longer and it's a hassle to get them warrantied.

amen to that dog!

Comment

Working...
                            X