Amp repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp repair?

Ive got a broken or what seems to be broken amp. Do you think I should try and get it fixed or just drop the extra money on a new one?

Does Best Buy or Circuit City repair amps?
    Common Sense is not so Common
    Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Send it to the manuf.

What brand is it? Certain brands (cough cough... Kicker) have been known to just throw you a brand new amp if yours goes bad. Even if they are a few years old!
    Being a major OU fan and a staunch conservative.... I am perpetually vexed w/ the conundrum of who to hate more. Obama or the Univ. of Saxet.

Comment

MTX

Comment

Amps are cheap. You can get refirbs online for less than the cost of sending one in for repair in most cases.
        http://www.wakeboatworld.com
        []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

see if there is a repair facility in your area. PPI had one in Edmond that repaired mine for free.
          Originally posted by G-MONEY
          It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Dude don't bother unless there's someone local like Dom said. I'm doing a job on a buddies boat and just priced out Orions on eBay and i can darn near steal 'em! There's loads of deals out there on amps now, look around unless you're married to that MTX
            "Call me anything you want ... Just don't call me NOBODY!

Comment

I agree with Razz
              Originally posted by G-MONEY
              It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

What would you recommend?

Comment

There's all kinds of amps out there at all kinds of price points to match. What's your specs? What are you expecting? I've partial to the Orions lately since 1) I've had no issues with them 2) they suit me just fine as i don't need Dom killer amps and lastly 3) They survived 116 degrees in Shasta under bow without going into overheat protection mode! Kinda hard to beat 'em. I'm running the Orion HP-4800 4 channel in cabin with 65w rms and something like 200 peak for $160 + shipping. The towers are the Orion HP-2400 2 channel at 85w rms for $65 + shipping. Both on eBay from HiFi Soundconnection in Florida. Ask the other guys there's tons of options though.

Comment

ikesound.com (AKA HiFiSoundConnection as Razz just mentioned)
                    []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

I dont need anything too high end. Just something that will work, and will easily take the place of what I have now. Definately will need a 5 channel. I already have the remote bass control under my dash so i want something compatible with that.

Comment

That's where you'll have to do a bit of research my boy, that's what this here internet thingy is for

There's a few mfgrs that make five channels, check out MillionBuy.com, they have a load of audio goodies at good prices. The best part is you see descriptions on the fly so it's easier than eBay to find stuff. Then check eBay once you've found what you want or get it from MillionBuy. here's some I found real quick;

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bi...=10&image.y=12

Can't tell you if your bass knob will work or not, maybe SP or Phil? Some may come with it. Shop away

Comment

Sweet! I love my Kenwood 7202 amp...I can get another for $109. It's got a built-in fan and really cranks!
                          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

i would spend the money and just get a new one. i wouldnt buy a refirb and i would stick to a high in brand name that actully puts out the wattage it claim.. and mtx is natorious for lying about what their amps are capable of so i wouldnt get another one of those. kicker, memphis, audiobahn..... would prob be the best in my oinion but im not an expert so i could be wrong.

Comment

MTX over audiobahn.....audiobahn is bleh.......

As far as a refirb goes, I'll buy a refirb anyday. Refirb have been bench tested and repaired by techs. They are in most cases more sound than new.
                              []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Working...
                              X