Starter Battery Dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Battery Dying

I have just installed a second battery with an isolator as shown in the image below. After several hours on the lake, I brought the boat back in and am now experiencing a dead battery on my STARTER BATTERY. I would have understood if it was my stereo battery, as I was pounding that all day, but the starter battery going out has me baffled. I then proceeded to check all of my connections. I have run a wire from my starter ground to my extra battery ground (to establish ground on the second battery by tying into the main boat ground). Could this connection be draining the starter battery. I dont see how it could since there is nothing messing with the positive leads. Thanks for the help!
    Attached Files

Chill, it could just be a battery gone bad, but lets check a couple things first.

First....Yes, both battery banks should have a common ground at the engine. When you say "starter ground" you mean a stud on a starter mounting bolt right, not grounded to a terminal on the starter?

With the engine running, take your multi-meter and make sure both batteries are getting CHARGE VOLTAGE from the alternator. Check this at the batteries. If either of the batts are not seeing alt. voltage, then go to the battery terminals at the ISO and then to the ALT terminal of the Iso.

Somewhere in there, I dont thing the charge from the alt is reaching one or both of the batteries.

Good luck, let us know what you find.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The only way your battery would drain using that diagram would be if you left your combiner switch to "both". In that case, the starter battery would drain into the acc batteries. Other than that, take it back for a replacement. Your alt could not be charging as well.
      http://www.wakeboatworld.com
      []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

chp, I do have it grounded (connected) to the negative terminal on the starter battery, as that is where the engine ground is connected. Is that causing the drain? I assumed that would simply continue the path of the ground. I don't see how there could be any voltage flow there. I appreciate the help!

Comment

No, your grounds can be all connected; that is not the problem.
          http://www.wakeboatworld.com
          []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

ended up figuring it out, the wire from isolator had a poor crimping job and the wire was loose. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by Chill0987 View Post
              ended up figuring it out, the wire from isolator had a poor crimping job and the wire was loose. Thanks a lot!

Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
              X