Amplifier in protection mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amplifier in protection mode

I am rather knowledgeable with amplifier installations, yet I can't seem to figure this issue out. I have my subwoofer amplifier installed with the power light active and in normal mode, but when I connect my RCA cables, the amp goes into protect mode. I have the amp connected to 1 subwoofer which was previously functional, but is now going into protect mode. Any ideas on what might be causing the amplifier to go into protection mode?

what model amp?
    http://www.wakeboatworld.com
    []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

the amp is rather embarrasing, it is a pyle marine 1000 watt 4 channel amp. I am just using it for two of the channels bridged to give me 500x1 out. The amp was on the boat, so I salvaged it to run one 10" rockford fosgate stage 1 subwoofer. This was working just fine, but for some reason it is now going into protection when I hook up the rca's. Any thoughts? Should I re-run the wire to the sub, or is there an easier way to determine the source of the problem?

My precision power dcx 1000.4 is working just fine (and it is running 5 sets of MB Quart Premium components). I just installed a battery isolator so I thought it might be a grounding issue, so I re-ran individual ground wires to each amp and that didn't solve the problem. It must be coming from either the speaker wiring or the RCA's, because the amp doesn't go into protect mode until the RCA's are connected. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help!

Comment

Check to mqake sure there are no "whiskers" on the speaker leads.

Are you plugging/unplugging the RCAs while the amp has power. That could be the problem, and is potentially very harmful to the amplifier. Have you tried to swap RCAs from the PP amp to this one to see if the problem is in the cables.
        http://www.wakeboatworld.com
        []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Originally posted by spharis View Post
          Check to mqake sure there are no "whiskers" on the speaker leads.

Are you plugging/unplugging the RCAs while the amp has power. That could be the problem, and is potentially very harmful to the amplifier. Have you tried to swap RCAs from the PP amp to this one to see if the problem is in the cables.
          Short of just plain "shot" this is about the only thing I can guess as well!

Wat about moving both the speaker load AND the RCA's to the other half of the amp?
          It's not an optical illusion.
          It just looks like one.....

Comment

Working...
          X