Clarion XMD1 - Signal to amp cutting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarion XMD1 - Signal to amp cutting out

I'm trying to get ready for the lake next weekend by putting a new set of tower speakers in having problems with the speakers cutting out as I turn up the volume. I should say that the tower speakers cut out, all the original clarion marine speakers work just fine no matter how high I turn up the volume.

At first I thought I might have installed it wrong, or the amp was loosing power, but i've tested with a voltmeter and the amp doesn't ever cut out or lose power. Heck i've even taken my iPod and hooked it straight up to the amp via aux cables and everything worked like a gem. As soon as I try to start using the actual stereo however, everything cuts out at about half volume. I switched back and forth between the different sets of aux outs on the unit and i've even bought the same head unit off of ebay, installed it and got exactly the same results.

Am I doing something wrong here? Is there some setting on the head unit that I'm missing? Please help, i don't want to look lame this weekend!!

Here are the tec specs on everything:
    Stock Clarion XMD1 2003 model (came with the boat)
    AudioFormz Polk Momo 6X9 tower speakers
    Fosgate Punch p400 amp

Amps not shutting off, but is going into protect mode? My first thought is a shorted tower speaker wire. Remove 1 speaker at a time and turn up the volume and and see if the amp still "cuts out" If it cuts out with one hooked up and not the other, then doesn't cut out when that one is unhooked and the other is reconnected, then you have a short.

My 2nd thought is that the gain may be set too high. Turn the gain down a little at a time while retesting. If this seems to fix it, then set gain according to the tutorial posted by Spharis.

It might be worth while to just set the gain first, as a short will still show it's ugly head even after the gain is dialed in.
    Attached Files
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
    X