RCAs-Are there any differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RCAs-Are there any differences?

There are a ton if different RCAs out there. I'm looking particularly at Stinger (just because that is what is carried where I'm purchasing). However, within Stinger alone, there serveral different price points or versions of RCAs:
    -Helix
    -Bullet
    -Hyper
    -etc.

Anyway, is there any difference or does it really matter? I have always sort of believed in getting good quality stuff. I was looking at Helix, which isn't the cheapest or most expensive. I've never really known if it even mattered.

Thoughts?

Ahhhh....one of the touchiest topics in the world.....

Just know that the years I worked in video, and production houses, we made all our own cables using big rolls of stranded cable. My opinion is that the double helix triple shielded throwdown quadruple coaw encoated whatchamacallit cables are a waste. There is a great video on making your own if I can find it.

I usually use what I have in my attic in a box, make my own, or use the leftovers from amp install kits. It is more important to keep them away from noise sources, and in a boat, that is relatively easy to do as the entire chassis isn't being used as a condctor.
    http://www.wakeboatworld.com
    []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

So I would be safe to go with a quality name (Stinger), but stick with a basic cable. I won't be making my own for sure.

Comment

You could always run a test with a cheap set of cables verses your not so cheap set and see if you can "hear" the difference at 24 mph and parked. Spend your funds on upgrading equipment, batteries, and a good charger. Make your own cables as spharis did-you get the right length, you can choose your ends and wire, and can save a little. Buy in bulk and save more.

Comment

Here....finally found that video......
          Watch how the cable nerd tiptoes around calling Monster overpriced and not worth the money by talking about "how good the cable is, but"

http://revision3.com/systm/avcabling
          http://www.wakeboatworld.com
          []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Originally posted by spharis View Post
            Ahhhh....one of the touchiest topics in the world.....
            Totally agreed!!!!!

I am not going to touch it either, at least from a sound quality standpoint...

For the application, you want something rugged. Use that as a primary purchase consideration. Don't put too much into the directional litz-dipped smoke and mirrors chrome smoke bender stuff that promises more transparency, wider sound stage, blah blah blah...

As Spharis points out, custom length is nice; there is no excess cable laying, no mess either. If you go that route, just be good and comfortable with your skills at terminating the wire. There is nothing that is a bigger pain in the backside than a cold solder joint on a connection. Others will agree.
            If you are good with a soldering iron, it is a lot of fun!
            Last edited by philwsailz; 04-11-2007, 03:37 PM.
            It's not an optical illusion.
            It just looks like one.....

Comment

n/m
              It's not an optical illusion.
              It just looks like one.....

Comment

I agree with the make your own group. I've been making most of my cabling for years. From Standard Coax to phone, to RJ45. It really isn't too hard if you have a steady hand, and some good instructions.

and Far cheaper in the long run.
                Good luck
                "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

Working...
                X