Do I Have a Bad Channel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I Have a Bad Channel?

Here's my symptom: The right side pair of my tower speakers are playing at 1/2 the volume as the other pair. I have had trouble with the tower speaker wires shorting to the tower and putting the amp into protect mode because of an incorrectly drilled hole in the gunwalle.

Here's what i've got: Kicker 4 channel amp and 4 kicker KS 6.2 4ohm. The input signal is bridged and out put to the speaker pairs is bridged and the pairs are paralleled. All the settings were set awhile ago withe the help of Jay @ Kicker.

The Dealer just replaced the two left speakers and says everything is fine.

Here is what I've checked/done: Today I ran new speaker wires from the amp to the speaker...no more pinched wires and short. Swapped left speakers to right channel and right spkrs to lt channel. Symptom moved to the left speakers so I know it's not the speaker or the x-overs.

I can turn the right side gain up so the volume levels are equal (by ear) but the sound quality is crap.

Any thoughts on this would be great. I want to make sure I have covered everything before I have my dealer send me an amp. Thanks
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Here are some pics of the pinched wires and the incorrectly drilled hole.
    Attached Files
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

What happens if you swap the channel outs on the back of the source unit.

Then swap the wires on the output of the amp.

This will allow you to diagnose which component is causing the issue, either Source unit, amp, or speaker leads. My guess is that the speaker wires grounding did some damage to the amp. Grounding a speaker lead is bad on an amp because there is basically no load on it. Amps go into protect mode, but protect mode isn't an instantaneous thing. Repeat this over and over, and you stand to have a Mosfet fry, or similar.
      http://www.wakeboatworld.com
      []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Didn't think about swaping inputs, good idea, I will do that in the AM. Did swap the outputs, and the symptom stayed w/the channel. New wires to the speakers so no brob there. Don't know if I will need new speakers or not, talked to Kicker today, Chris said that it did sound like a bad amp but that the speaker pairs should be run in series, mine are paralleled He said that the amp will over power and could damage the driver.

FIC or Lee, can either one of you confirm how Tige is wiring the Kicker system w/ tower of power.?

Thanks everyone.

Comment

What are the system specs on the tower of power? I can tell you if you have that.

Make sure your HU is OFF when swapping the RCAs around, or you will have 2 channels doing the same thing.
          http://www.wakeboatworld.com
          []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Originally posted by spharis View Post
            What are the system specs on the tower of power? I can tell you if you have that.

Make sure your HU is OFF when swapping the RCAs around, or you will have 2 channels doing the same thing.
            The TOWER of POWER gives you a 2nd amp and 2 more tower speaker (4 total)

Amp Specs:
            Kicker KX 350.4 - RMS = @12.5v @4ohm mono = 2x130

Componant speaker specs:
            Kicker KS65.2 - 4ohm, power range watts RMS = 6-75, peak watts = 150, Hz 33-21k

Comment

chpthril-

Check your PM box
              It's not an optical illusion.
              It just looks like one.....

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                Here are some pics of the pinched wires and the incorrectly drilled hole.

Good pics, saved for later ref. Any issue with the anchor light wire? It must be routed up the tower as well - other side maybe? Do you happen to have any pics of the underside of the front towers, the mounting holes, bolt, etc?

Drill that new hole yourself? Are you worried about structure fatigue?

Comment

Originally posted by MRMoffat1 View Post
                  Good pics, saved for later ref. Any issue with the anchor light wire? It must be routed up the tower as well - other side maybe? Do you happen to have any pics of the underside of the front towers, the mounting holes, bolt, etc?

Drill that new hole yourself? Are you worried about structure fatigue?
                  The anchor light is run through the other side and no probs yet. No pics of the front legs, but you have a stud, backing plate, and nut with a reinforcing plate glassed into the hull.

Oh yah, I drilled it my self. Two dealers have had an opportunity to do this for me, but felt something else must be causing the problem. The rear leg also has a plate glassed in for added strength. I'm hoping that will take the brunt of the load, so i'm not worried.

Since my original post, I have gone back and re-wired the tower again. I have now pulled 4 wires through, 1 for each speaker. This way I can do away with the bridge at the NEW amp (that is on it's way). I did this under the recommendations of Philwsailz @ kicker.
                  Last edited by chpthril; 04-15-2007, 01:10 PM.

Comment

The anchor light is run through the other side and no probs yet. No pics of the front legs, but you have a stud, backing plate, and nut with a reinforcing plate glassed into the hull.

Oh yah, I drilled it my self. Two dealers have had an opportunity to do this for me, but felt something else must be causing the problem. The rear leg also has a plate glassed in for added strength. I'm hoping that will take the brunt of the load, so i'm not worried.

Since my original post, I have gone back and re-wired the tower again. I have now pulled 4 wires through, 1 for each speaker. This way I can do away with the bridge at the NEW amp (that is on it's way). I did this under the recommendations of Philwsailz @ kicker.
                    I'm trying to hold off as much as possible on DIY until out of warranty period, but . . . .

Ok - still working an issue from a previous thread I posted on loose front tower connection. Boat has been at dealer since Feb, so I am unable to take a look. The dealer did go back and confirm I actually had a lock nut up front, where I swear I did not, so I was wrong. Need to take another look at solution. In the mean time.... I know of the backing plate up front...

So - there is both a reinforcing plate glased in AND a backing plate not glassed in up front, correct?
                    Last edited by MRMoffat1; 04-15-2007, 07:17 PM.

Comment

I'm trying to hold off as much as possible on DIY until out of warranty period, but . . .

So - there is both a reinforcing plate glassed in AND a backing plate not glassed in up front, correct?

No stereo DIY projects here yet, still trying to straighten out issues on my 13 month old boat. Almost there tho

Comment

No stereo DIY projects here yet, still trying to straighten out issues on my 13 month old boat. Almost there tho
                        I'm right behind you on that one. A total of 4 mo+ boat at the dealer over the winter for me. Ditto - I think we are almost there as well.

Comment

New amp came today. Got it all wired up and will get back with Phil at kicker tomarrow and get both amps set right and fine tuned.

Comment

New amp came today. Got it all wired up and will get back with Phil at kicker tomarrow and get both amps set right and fine tuned.

Who is Phil and how do I contact him? I've sent a couple of e-mails to Kicker via their website in the past - I get nothing but silence.

Sounds like I might want to talk to Phil as well if he is willing. My new stereo setup is done (with added Kicker 650.4), but I need to get the boat back to see how it sounds! Never hurts to check with an expert.

Comment

Who is Phil and how do I contact him? I've sent a couple of e-mails to Kicker via their website in the past - I get nothing but silence.

Sounds like I might want to talk to Phil as well if he is willing. My new stereo setup is done (with added Kicker 650.4), but I need to get the boat back to see how it sounds! Never hurts to check with an expert.
                              Send a PM to philwsailz (he is posting on here some now), that is Phil White with kicker, he has been a lot of help to me.

you can also call the Kicker phone # and ask for Kris in tech assist< he has helped me a couple of times to.
                              Last edited by chpthril; 04-19-2007, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X