Clarion Head unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarion Head unit

Has anyone else had memory problems with the Clarion head units? Mine will not hold presets or audio settings once I turn off the ignition. I have used the units reset button but it no long works. Everytime the ignition is turned on/off I loose all the settings, it's a pain in the ***. Any thoughts? My head unit is in the glove box holder under the windshield so I have been thinking of getting a different head unit, but am skeptical to get one that is not a "marine" head unit.
    ~Bakes~

The power line to your headunit is probably connected to the ignition on/off. There are two positive lines on a source unit. One (usually red) is the switch power that is ignition switched. It turns the unit on/off via acc switch or like. The other (usually yellow) is a main power and memory that is connected to an always hot 12V. It holds the memory settings. You may want to verify your unit's wiring is correct.

Also note that a battery disconnect, or removing the battery will clear the unit memory as well.

Has your unit been doing this, or is it a recent development?

Also, don't be scared to get a non-maring Headunit.
    Last edited by spharis; 03-09-2007, 09:40 PM.
    http://www.wakeboatworld.com
    []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Unit has always been doing this, and I am taking it out of storage soon, so I was thinking of getting a new head unit and putting the other one on ebay. I will have to check the wiring I guess to make sure it is correct. Can I disconnect the red power and still be able to use the stereo? Will this cause any difference in battery drain?
      ~Bakes~

Comment

No, both lines need power. The red line is similar to a relay to turn the main power on coming from the yellow line. When the red line has power, it tells the radio to power on. The red line is connected properly from what you describe. The yellow wire needs to be moved to a direct battery connection.

Your headunit should be able to be connected for months, and not drain the battery. The memory storage is just a trickle.
        http://www.wakeboatworld.com
        []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Some of the 2003 factory installed radios had the red and yellow wires switched when hooked up.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
            Some of the 2003 factory installed radios had the red and yellow wires switched when hooked up.
            Was there a reason for wiring them this way?

Comment

Originally posted by TigeDuner View Post
              Was there a reason for wiring them this way?
              Maybe it was done on a Friday at 4:30pm?

Comment

I misunderstood the post, I thought this was intentional. Sounds like a simple fix though.

Comment

Thanks guys, I will check the wires asap and get back to you. Cheers
                  ~Bakes~

Comment

Working...
                  X