Speaker wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaker wire

Is there really any difference between the high priced wire like Stinger / Rockford and generic brands? I can't see the diff if all the major criteria like copper strands, oxygen-free, etc are the same? I can get a 100' roll on eBay for $10 vs $100 for Stinger or Rockford wire! Check it out here ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8375&rd=1&rd=1

Also, i've been told that 16 gauge is more than enough for reliable signal transmission? What about sub wire size? 12 or 10 gauge?
    "Call me anything you want ... Just don't call me NOBODY!

Wire size depends on the current and the distance. 16 is probably good for your components, but I have had to run up to 8AWG for some sub setups.

Not a ton of difference in the wire, other than alot of marketing ploy and the look/feel of it. 99% copper, and 95% copper/tin/whatever is pretty hard to tell a difference in.
    http://www.wakeboatworld.com
    []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

I didn't figure there was much difference other than looks. It's an outfit called AdvancedGadgets but the wire is Steren 16 Gauge AWG Clear Speaker Cable Wire. From Steren's web site;

Standard Application Speaker Cable
      Good Performance and Sound Quality for Most Speaker and Audio Equipment Connections
      Delivers fine quality sound in long runs
      Parallel Conductors, Polarized Bare Copper-Tinned
      99.99% Pure Oxygen-Free Copper Conductors
      Clear Flexible PVC Jacket
      16 AWG = 1.291 Diameter in mm, 0.0508 in inches
      Last edited by Razzman; 02-23-2007, 05:57 PM.

Comment

There's not a big difference. As spharis says, it's the guage that counts. I'd also compare the cable jacket/shielding to make sure it will work for your application. Some cable jackets don't deal well with sunlight or marine applications.
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by Razzman View Post
          Clear Flexible PVC Jacket
          I agree totally with Dog. In a few instances where I have used speaker wire that was exposed to the elements, especially sunlight, the Clear cracked worse than a solid color did.

I ran some wire to some outdoor speakers and a length of it was exposed to direct sunlight. It yellowed, then cracked..I'd say in about 1.5 years.

Probably not a real problem as I have similar stuff in my boat that looks fine, but in the event this will be exposed to sunlight, be wary.
          "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

It'll all be under the gunnels / bow unexposed, hell it might mold before any sunlight ever sees it!

Comment

I have had really good luck with the twisted pair stuff I bought off ebay.
              Originally posted by G-MONEY
              It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

ebay is tough to beat, just need to do the research before the purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Domsz06 View Post
                  I have had really good luck with the twisted pair stuff I bought off ebay.
                  Who did you get your cable from on ebay?

Comment

mine was really old, ie I bought it 2 years ago. I need to look again for my speaker wire, as half the wire to my current speakers isn't long enough so they come unplugged. I'm going to rewire all my speakers, I'll be doing twisted pair to my 6.5's, probably what, 16 or 18 gauge, and then doing 12 or 10 to my subs. Only way to go IMO.

Spharis, you agree?

Comment

Sub depends on wattage and length. Components will be ok with 16
                      http://www.wakeboatworld.com
                      []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

I bought all my wire (power / speaker) from these guys online; KnuKonceptz. They have good pricing, tinned oxygen free wire and fast service. Here's what i got;
                        • 2ft Kolossus Kable 4AWG Black/Silver Power Wire @ $1.35 per ft
                        • 2ft Kolossus Kable 4AWG Red/Silver Power Wire @ $1.35 per ft
                        • 15ft Kolossus Kable 4AWG Black/Silver Power Wire @ .65 per ft
                        • 15ft Kolossus Kable 4AWG Red/Silver Power Wire @ $.65 per ft
                        • 5ft Klear Kable Blue 10 Gauge Speaker Wire @ $.80 per ft
                        • 80ft Klear Kable Blue 16 Gauge Speaker Wire @ $.25 per ft

All this for $53 shipped! Try doing that from any local shop! I asked a few and the prices were anywhere from 2-3 times more!

Comment

not too bad, I'll keep that in mind. I found a place on ebay for 0 gauge fo 1.69 a foot, you can bet that's where I'm buying it since everywhere else it's 4.50 I'll have to look into the speaker wire.

Comment

Working...
                          X