Powering 6 speakers with 4 channel amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powering 6 speakers with 4 channel amp?

Ok guys. Here is another question for the ignorant stereo guy. I have decided to leave my deck speakers alone for now (budget constraints). I have the stock clarion speakers, which I believe are 50 watts RMS.

Instead of replacing them, I have decided to try to amp them to max out their potential. I will try to replace them down the road when money is available.

With that said, I have NO idea how to go about doing this. Any help or insight is huge. Thanks in advance!

Jeff

It is was me, I would amp the four speakers in the cabin and not the two in the bow with one four channel amp.

Comment

Either that, or wire either the two front sets, or two rear sets in parallel so you have the amp bridged (if you amp is stable at 2ohms). Depending on the amp, you will not notice a considerable difference in driver output per channel, bridged vs unbridged.
      http://www.wakeboatworld.com
      []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Originally posted by spharis View Post
        Either that, or wire either the two front sets, or two rear sets in parallel so you have the amp bridged (if you amp is stable at 2ohms). Depending on the amp, you will not notice a considerable difference in driver output per channel, bridged vs unbridged.
        I am sure that is how they did my 6 speakers with a 4 channel amp. They bridged the main cabin in parallel (not sure if I worded that correctly) and had the bow wired to the other 2 channels.
        Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
        Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
          It is was me, I would amp the four speakers in the cabin and not the two in the bow with one four channel amp.
          This is how the factory does or did it.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
            This is how the factory does or did it.
            And that is an acceptable method.

I do not like to leave any drivers un-amped (IE running from the head unit) when others are amped, as the signal quality of a driver on the source unit is pretty bad, especially when you turn it up to an output level the amp is fine delivering. An amp will deliver a much cleaner sound regardless of line volume. Your head unit will begin clipping at around 1/2-3/4 volume, and amp will output a stronger signal at lower levels so you never get into the clipping range (assuming you setup you amp correctly).
            []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

So you are saying run a single channel to the 2 bow speakers and run the other four speakers in parallel? Is anything bridged?

I haven't selected an amp yet because I don't know what I'm looking for at this point.

Comment

Yes your rear channel will be bridged to 2 ohms.
                []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Rear channel is bridged to two ohms pushing 4 speakers in parallel?

So, having the 4 main cabin speakers (heard the most) running in parallel @ 2 ohms (option 1) will sound better than running them at 4ohm and leaving the bow speakers unamped (option 2)?

Based on the 50 rms, 4ohm speaker that is in the boat:
                  http://www.crutchfield.com/S-W92t5gU...isplay=Clarion

What size 4 channel amp do I need to look at for option 1?

When you run speakers in parallel, do they receive the same number of watts as if you powered them with a single channel?

Lets say hypothetically, I was going to push the deck speakers with a kicker zx350.4. Here are the specs:
                  90x4 @ 2ohm stereo
                  175x2 @ 4 ohm bridged

How would the power break out to the 6 speakers using option 1? I'm just trying to figure out how this all works.

Comment

to run six speakers you would run 4 in parralell on two channels which would give you your 2amp load amount. then the other two channels would be at you normal 4ohm level.
                    -- most people will run the 4 cabin on the front and then bridge the back for a sub.. but in this instance you would still have no amp to the front 2 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by yllw20 View Post
                      to run six speakers you would run 4 in parralell on two channels which would give you your 2amp load amount. then the other two channels would be at you normal 4ohm level.
                      -- most people will run the 4 cabin on the front and then bridge the back for a sub.. but in this instance you would still have no amp to the front 2 speakers.
                      In Jeff's case he will have a sperate amp for the Sub. So if he wired 4 speakers in parallel at 2 Ohms bridged and 2 speakers at 4 ohms on the other 2 channels.
                      Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
                      Winston Churchill

Comment

Jeff,
                        Total channel output is split between the drivers on that circuit. Let's break it down.

Your amp puts out 95Wx4channels @ 2 ohms. In your case, you have a few options. It would be preferable to have the speakers facing the most audience, probably the rears, depending on how they are angled, to be unbridged. You can accomplish this and still get stereo sound, just no front and rear, which doesn't matter. I will give you what I would do in the same situation.

CH1 right- A component on the bow right and a component near the driver right wired here. This will give a 2 ohm load, and each channel will get 45W. Wire the drivers to the amp as normal, only you will have two wires in the positive, and 2 wires in the negative, going to each speaker respectively.

CH2 left- same as 1, except port side drivers, port bow and port center.

CH3 right- A single component set wired to this channel. It will remain @ 4 ohms, and will probably get around 65-70W (I am unsure of the specs). One wire positive, one wire negative.

CH4 left - same as above, but with the far rear port driver.

You will decide which driver will be the best to put the max power to. If you are wiring it to sound good to you, then this setup will be preferable. It will allow you to hear the full surround of the stereo, without being overwhelmed by the driver right by your leg.

On to the amp setup. Because you will have a non front and rear setup, you will need to have the same sound going into all the left, and all the right channels. You can either use splitters on the RCA inputs, or in some cases, the amp has a switch you can toggle to use the same input for all 4 channels.
                        []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

CH1 right- A component on the bow right and a component near the driver right wired here. This will give a 2 ohm load, and each channel will get 45W. Wire the drivers to the amp as normal, only you will have two wires in the positive, and 2 wires in the negative, going to each speaker respectively.
                          Is this considered running in parallel? This doesn't bridge anything right? Can you explain to me how this method differs from bridging?

On to the amp setup. Because you will have a non front and rear setup, you will need to have the same sound going into all the left, and all the right channels. You can either use splitters on the RCA inputs, or in some cases, the amp has a switch you can toggle to use the same input for all 4 channels.
                          I'm still slightly confused by the splitters. Can you explain this a little more.

So based on a 90 watt x 4 @ 2 ohm rating, the speakers powered by CH1 and CH2 are getting 45 watts a piece because you are just basically splitting the power of one channel to 2 speakers...correct?

Thanks a TON! I wish I had this kind of knowledge to share.
                          Last edited by Jeff T; 02-12-2007, 02:41 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jeff T;39045]
                            Lets say hypothetically, I was going to push the deck speakers with a kicker zx350.4. Here are the specs:
                            90x4 @ 2ohm stereo
                            175x2 @ 4 ohm bridged
                            QUOTE]

Is this correct? It is putting out the same in 2 ohm as 4 ohm. 2 channels vs 4 channels.

Comment

This is from Crutchfields site.

Details:

» 4-channel car amplifier
                              » 60 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
                              » 175 watts RMS x 2 in bridged mode

Comment

Working...
                              X