Noise through speakers - head unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise through speakers - head unit?

Boat developed a winding noise through the speakers end of last year. It actually increases when the motor is rev'd up.

If you turn off the head unit, it goes away. I have an amp with built-in bluetooth and with the head unit off, it sounds great.

Is this always a head unit issue or something else?

2006 MP 5.7L engine - CMD6 Clarion head unit.

Thanks!

Boat developed a winding noise through the speakers end of last year.
    I have an amp with built-in bluetooth
    When was this amp installed, in relation to when the noise started?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Check your grounds. Do the amp and the head unit share the same ground?

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
        When was this amp installed, in relation to when the noise started?
        Now that I think back, the old AMP went out. Installed the new PYLE bluetooth AMP. Seemed to work fine a few outings, then this noise developed.

Comment

It appears to be a grounding issue. I don't believe they share the same ground from what I traced back. However I ran a quick ground wire to the head unit and noise went away. I plan to make sure the ground wire is properly routed! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by surfidaho View Post
            Check your grounds. Do the amp and the head unit share the same ground?
            It appears to be a grounding issue. I don't believe they share the same ground from what I traced back. However I ran a quick ground wire to the head unit and noise went away. I plan to make sure the ground wire is properly routed! Thanks!

Comment

I grounded the head unit to the battery. It took most of the noise out. Still a little left. The amps share a ground to the battery, however only the rear speakers make the sound. Any additional ideas?

Comment

If this boat had an amp from the factory, is the head unit's yellow constant B+ still piggy-backed to the amp's B+ cable? The head unit GND would have also been there, with the amp GND.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                  If this boat had an amp from the factory, is the head unit's yellow constant B+ still piggy-backed to the amp's B+ cable? The head unit GND would have also been there, with the amp GND.

I am guessing the CMD6 and old Pyle 3000 watt amp was put in the boat by the previous owner. When the amp went out, I just put in the same amp, just BT version. Just connected the wires in the same spots.

The amp has a blue remote wire from the head unit to switch it on.

Comment

A Clarion CMD6 would not be the original head, nor would a Pyle amp, so sounds like all aftermarket. No telling if any of the cabling is wired correctly.

Comment

Working...
                    X