Skylon Vector 8 Tower Speakers with PG Tantrum 300.2 Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skylon Vector 8 Tower Speakers with PG Tantrum 300.2 Amp

I picked up some Skylon Vector 8 HLCD tower speakers to replace the 6.5" Wetsounds I currently have on my tower. They were being powered by a Phoenix Gold Tantrum 300.2 amp. Wondering if I will damage the Vector 8 speakers if I run them on the current amp I have in the boat for the tower speakers? From what I can tell the Vector 8 speakers are 250W RMS and the amp will run 2x150 @ 2ohms and 2x75 @ 4ohms.

http://download.phoenixphorum.com/Ma...a300manual.pdf

Car/Marine audio is not my thing, hoping someone would be nice enough to give me some guidance here please! Thanks!
    Last edited by mdelleman; 03-10-2020, 11:28 PM.

Been awhile, so I cant remember if the vector were 2 ohm like the early memphise HLCDs were, or 4 ohm. If they are 2 ohm, the most RMS they are going to get, is 150W each. Not going to over power them at all. Likely a pretty safe RMS to be at.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Excuse my ignorance but how do I find out if they are 2 or 4 ohms? If they are 4 ohms then they will only get 75W correct? I am assuming this will lead to volume but will they also be distorted or harm the speaker being so underpowered at 75W RMS?

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      Been awhile, so I cant remember if the vector were 2 ohm like the early memphise HLCDs were, or 4 ohm. If they are 2 ohm, the most RMS they are going to get, is 150W each. Not going to over power them at all. Likely a pretty safe RMS to be at.

Comment

You can google the specs or you can put an ohm meter across the speaker's terminals. The low wattage is neither distortion harmful to the speaker by nature. The issue comes when the try and force more out of the speaker, then available wattage will yield. Then we drive the source signal or amp in to a state of clipping. Then we get distortion and potential speaker damage.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks.

I contacted the manufacturer and the speaker is indeed 4ohm. The amp I have will run 75W to each speaker so from the sounds of it I am OK under powered until I find an amp that will push them a little more. Your recommendation is finding something ideal would be around 150W per channel? Appreciate your help.

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          You can google the specs or you can put an ohm meter across the speaker's terminals. The low wattage is neither distortion harmful to the speaker by nature. The issue comes when the try and force more out of the speaker, then available wattage will yield. Then we drive the source signal or amp in to a state of clipping. Then we get distortion and potential speaker damage.

Comment

The Kicker KXMA4004 would be golden at 200W rms x 2 bridged.

Comment

Working...
            X