R22 System upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R22 System upgrade

Our 2019 R22 came with the basic 4 speaker wetsound system that wasn't cutting it with the factory set amp that is not adjustable. First step was to pull it and add a sub amp. JL Audio 600/4 and 750/1 were placed in the factory spots and new 4/0 power wire run to the battery.
    20191013_142950.jpg

Tower speakers were added, JL Audio M6 770s. Sound quality over projection distance was the goal, while keeping maximum headroom under the tower.
    20191027_135127.jpg

For subs, the factory location wasn't suitable. I'm not a fan of free air subs, nor is taking up storage space in the port locker. Went with an under helm, sealed box using 3/4" baltic birch and then coated in resin. Old school original 12w6s from a previous build were repurposed. Found the matching vinyl for the trim panel to finish it off.
    20191005_122320.jpg

The grey carpet panels creating the storage shelf are easily removed for access to the fuse panel
    20191005_122332.jpg

The factory wetsound 6.5s are the last remaining items to change out. Id like upsize those to 7s, but the stock interior doesn't allow for larger drivers, so M6 650s will likely be installed.

Looks good, the sub install is awesome. I like the storage shelf!
    Why pull the wet sound 6.5s? They can handle 100 watts each, Ive found them to be more than adequate in my stereo set up.

Comment

Stock wetsounds are horrible, no mid range. With the new amp they at least sound decent when the cross over point is corrected. Compared to the M6s they don't stand up: entry level line vs the top line. Sound preference is purely subjective, Wetsounds just aren't for me.

Comment

when the cross over point is corrected.
        Looks great, glad you are/will be pleased.

Have you actually seen the DSP tune graphed out in order to know this? Where are they crossed over with your new amp? Did the 2019 R series boats still come fitted with the Recon (was the 65ic series) speakers, or the Revo?
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          Looks great, glad you are/will be pleased.

Have you actually seen the DSP tune graphed out in order to know this? Where are they crossed over with your new amp? Did the 2019 R series boats still come fitted with the Recon (was the 65ic series) speakers, or the Revo?
          No way to get into the factory locked amps without the software as I'm sure you're aware. Whichever point as chosen, it was far too high.

Recon speakers are crossed over at 60hz on the new amp.

Comment

As you stated, sound certainly is subjective. 60HZ is way too low for my liking, in a system with a woofer. I have it on good authority, that the DSP cross over is not "incorrect". Comparing the Recon to the M6 is an apples to oranges. The Recon is a great speaker in its price point and power class, but its not intended to compete with the premium level M6.

The new M6 is a great speaker. I got to demo it last year at IBEX. I think they made some improvement over the previous M-650. Better mid-bass with slightly larger ECA and softened the tweeter just a touch. Its more a higher power handling version of the MX-650 in a way.
            Last edited by chpthril; 10-31-2019, 06:46 PM.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
              As you stated, sound certainly is subjective. 60HZ is way too low for my liking, in a system with a woofer. I have it on good authority, that the DSP cross over is not "incorrect". Comparing the Recon to the M6 is an apples to oranges. The Recon is a great speaker in its price point and power class, but its not intended to compete with the premium level M6.
              I'm sure the stock 4 speaker setup with the free air sub would have helped, but without it, it was horrible. All high end, no mid range.

That's what is great about adjustable amps, you can set them to your preference. If only wetsounds would have allowed that.....

Comment

If only wetsounds would have allowed that....
                This is mostly driven by the boat manufacturer. And you will see why, once the new JL DSP amps start hitting the OEM boats builds. They will be open for the average joe to plug up their lap top and tinker way.

Comment

2020 models have adjustable amps in them BTW. The DSP's are gone from the lineup.
                  Oh Yeah!

Comment

That’s interesting about the adjustable amps, which I prefer also. All i hear from the factory reps is how everything will be DSP. I understand their point of view about reducing warranty claims, but it is so labor intensive getting all the floor plans set up.

Comment

Working...
                    X