Kyle's 24V Stereo Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kyle's 24V Stereo Upgrade

This winter my next project is to tackle the boat stereo. My goal is to do the install myself, rely as much as possible on open box/refurbished gear to save money, add bass, and swap out most of the non-marine gear with actual marine components. I will post pictures and progress as I go but figured I would start the thread today! Wish me luck!

Old Gear:

1) Four 6.5” Alpine Type R component speakers with Tweeters (two in bow, two at stern, 4 ohms resistance each)
    2) Two sets of Diamond Audio tower speakers. These are the 6.5” + 5” + tweeter all wired together to one output. At least one speaker in each enclosure is blown.
    3) Alpine head unit
    4) Alpine MRV F 545 4 channel amp. Solid amp @ 125Wx4 RMS @ 4 ohms

My Plan:

1) Keep head unit and add WS-420 to have zone control and PA function
    2) Add 12 “ FA subwoofer installed under the helm. I am thinking of buying a WS Revo 12 FA 2 ohm “Amazon Renewed” unit. Seems like a killer deal!
    3) Add Exile Audio Javelin 5 channel amplifier (already have amp from another project)
    4) Add an additional set of in boat speakers. I am thinking a pair of 6x9’s to have some speaker variety in boat. So I will have four 6.5 inch speakers and two 6x9 speakers.
    5) My plan is to wire up ch 1 & 2 to one speaker each and then 3 and 4 powering two speakers each wired parallel. Channel 5 is a dedicated sub channel. So the Javelin amp will power 6 speakers and the subwoofer. Ch 1 and 2 will be 4 ohms and 3, 4, and sub will be 2 ohms (3 & 4 = each powering two 4 ohm speakers wired parallel, 4 divided by 2?) Ch 5 can handle up to 800w RMS @ 2ohms. Does this make since? Is that the correct final resistance load for channels 3 & 4?
    6) Eventually I will swap out Alpine type R car speakers for marine speakers. I am thinking Polk DB65s since they are the only marine component speakers I can find. But the Alpine speakers are very good speakers from what I can tell.
    7) Keep Alpine 4 channel amp to power tower speakers
    8) Swap out old and blown out Diamond Audio tower speakers for a pair of Rockville Audio DWB80’s (four 8 inch speakers total). I know Rockville isn’t the best quality but they are within my budget and I have heard good things considering the cost. Each 8 inch speaker will be powered by one channel from the alpine amplifier. I am thinking these will still be a nice upgrade from the diamond audio set up.

Swap out old and blown out Diamond Audio tower speakers for a pair of Rockville Audio DWB80’s (four 8 inch speakers total)
    I would seriously consider going with the Kicker KM8 over those shared-tooling rockville branded pods. I guarantee the KM8 is a 10X better sounding and better built speaker.

What is "amazon renewed"? Whos the actual vendor?

Why 6x9 v's round 8"? The 8" round has more surface area as well as we can get more excursion out of the round speaker.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      I would seriously consider going with the Kicker KM8 over those shared-tooling rockville branded pods. I guarantee the KM8 is a 10X better sounding and better built speaker.
      I looked at the KM8's but from what I can tell the enclosure has the traditional tower clamp mount for tubular towers. I have the old Phat Buddy tower that has a flat plate mounted on top at the two parallel cross bars. The Rockville's are the only ones I have found where the roll bar clamp can be removed so it can be mounted on a flat surface.

The vendor is Amazon. Here is the link. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07N8HVR...v_ov_lig_dp_it
      https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07N8JFB...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Why 6x9 v's round 8"?
      good question hahahah just spit balling. I will look into in boat 8" speakers.

Comment

Why 6x9 v's round 8"? The 8" round has more surface area as well as we can get more excursion out of the round speaker.

I have two pairs of 8" Kickers and love them. I upgraded from the KMT67's which were good but I really like the 8" kickers. Not sure on the price difference but if you can figure out how to mount them, I really like them.The clamp on the enclosure does come off and is flat I think but you would need to talk to a guru like MLA / Mike to know if you could bolt that to the flat plate instead of the tube mount clam that are on the 8" kicker cans.
        Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

interesting, the have changed the enclosures since I did mine.

THere are these which are new:
          https://www.kicker.com/kmfc-8-inch-coaxial-tower-system

and these which were what was available when I did mine:
          https://www.kicker.com/43KMTES8B
          Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

sounds like a fun winter project and I would follow mla's advice-especially on the tower units. he knows his shiot...

my .02 fwiw,
            if you are going to all the work, build an enclosure for a sub. personally think they sound better. it doesn't cost a ton to build a box.
            polk db's are great boat speakers. had 6 of them in my first supra and they were very nice. you will not be disappointed with them.
            I saw 6x9's and my mind immediately went to images of an old 60's/70's muscle car with a set of triaxles on the back package shelf I'd keep all the in boats from the same speaker line if it was my $$.

mla might be able to hook ya up with a package deal on tower and in-boats. spend some coin there as old rule of thumb was to buy speakers first in any install as most tend to buy other stuff first and skimp on speakers. that will make or break your sound quality.
            2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
            2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Sandm is on point. I wasn’t going to replace speakers and then I sat down and really listened to my 10 year old in boats and realized I was an idiot. I couldn’t be happier I replaced them

Good clean power, good speakers go a long way.

Have you considered some kind of custom mount for the tower speakers vs limiting yourself to a specific (low end) option?

Good luck and keep us up to date!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stingreye View Post
                interesting, the have changed the enclosures since I did mine.

THere are these which are new:
                https://www.kicker.com/kmfc-8-inch-coaxial-tower-system

and these which were what was available when I did mine:
                https://www.kicker.com/43KMTES8B
                Thank you for the feedback. I am going to probably hold off on tower speakers until I can find a suitable mounting position. I will post some photos of my delimia shortly. Perhaps you or Mike may have an idea on a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
                  sounds like a fun winter project and I would follow mla's advice-especially on the tower units. he knows his shiot...

my .02 fwiw,
                  if you are going to all the work, build an enclosure for a sub. personally think they sound better. it doesn't cost a ton to build a box.
                  polk db's are great boat speakers. had 6 of them in my first supra and they were very nice. you will not be disappointed with them.
                  I saw 6x9's and my mind immediately went to images of an old 60's/70's muscle car with a set of triaxles on the back package shelf I'd keep all the in boats from the same speaker line if it was my $$.

mla might be able to hook ya up with a package deal on tower and in-boats. spend some coin there as old rule of thumb was to buy speakers first in any install as most tend to buy other stuff first and skimp on speakers. that will make or break your sound quality.
                  Thank you for the advice!

Comment

Here are some photos of my tower. As you can see there are spots where a flat piece of metal is welded to the 2.5" tube and then the speaker pods are mounted directly to this. Do you think I can break these welds in clean way and remove the flat piece so I can use typical tower clamps mounts for speakers or can most pods detach from the clamps to mount to a flat surface? Thanks for any input!

tower 2.jpg
                    tower 1.jpg

Comment

These are the enclosures I used with kicker km8’s

https://www.kicker.com/app/manuals/m...MTES_Rev_C.pdf

You can see how the clamp attaches in the pdf, I am not sure if that can mount directly or not but it is flat there. I am not sure if you would have clearance or need a spacer or anything.

I would be a little afraid of removing flat piece if it was providing any support for the tower. If it was just for mounting the speakers then maybe you would be ok.

Comment

What the width of the plate?
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

What the width of the plate?
                          There is a pate on each top tube (front and back). Each one is 2.5 inches or so wide. I don't think it is there for structure. In fact, I think it might have even been added after the fact to mount the existing speakers. In googling the Phat Budde Extreme Tower I see some pics that do not have these plates. But my concern would be that It wouldn't look clean if I removed. Ideally I would like to find a way to mount pods to the flat plate.

Comment

The previous owner of my boat made some questionable choices in mountain speakers to the tower... IMG_1831.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by PBTige View Post
                              The previous owner of my boat made some questionable choices in mountain speakers to the tower... [ATTACH]51454[/ATTACH]
                              Thank you for sharing. This is what I thought of doing. I am going to try to mount flat first and do this as a last resort.

Comment

Working...
                              X