Clarion CMD5 Head Unit Failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarion CMD5 Head Unit Failed

We have an 08 22ve and the Clarion CMD5 head unit has failed. The boat also has 2 wired remotes. There are 2x Rev 10 on the tower, 1 sub and cabin area speakers. 2 Amps. We stream music via bluetooth. Should we replace the failed unit with a Wetsounds 420BT, 220 or some other option? If I understand it correctly we would not need a head unit then. If we went with the 420/220 I was thinking of installing in the glove box where the CMD 5 lived (not sure if the current hole will work or need some resizing and filler plate?). A concern is how do I kill/mute the system from the driver seat when a rider goes down so we can get regrouped? then unmute when we are back up and under way as the Clarion remotes will be inop?

We are open to other ways of addressing and updating the situation.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

What kind of remotes?

If you have newer MW1, you can use a M508 to replace the head and keep the remotes. If it’s the older remotes with the lower pin count cables, they are trash anyways and you can look at the 420BT. I have been happy with my 508 and it’s Bluetooth

I went through this exact decision process on my 22VE

Mike will have some input. What I will say is you will hate not having controls at the helm IMHO. Solve for that for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the reply. They are the old remotes. I am leaning 420bt direction and maybe just mounting it in driver's dash is the best approach. That being said, is there an advantage of having a head unit if we are only using bt streaming I might be overlooking? If we wanted to replace the transom control to match up with the 420bt is that doable in the future?

Thanks again.

Comment

A device like the ws-420/220 is best when mounted within reach of the operator and not in the glove box IMO.

No, there is no slave remote for the 420 or 220. However, there is the Wet Sounds MC-1 and MC-2 media units and the MC-TR wired remote that works with both.

There are also some round compact media units that might fit the existing round hole on the helm. This gives you BT as well as fingertip control.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks kindly for the reply.

Any of the round media units you might suggest we consider given the components we have?

Comment

The Aquatic AV GP1 would be at the top of my list for this application. its physical specs are the closest to the clarion remote's.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thx. Looks like a nice unit. I think I might need a unit with sub rca so it could operate independently wouldn't I?

Comment

You would need a sub RCA output to make the Sub play, but if you wanted level control through the head unit, you need one with a sub output or multiple zones. Does your 08 not have a sub level knob under the helm, or is the original amp long gone?

Comment

Yes kicker sub adjuster is under the helm. And connected to the kicker amp and then to sub out on the cmd5.

Comment

Working...
                  X