2010 RZ2 WS Syn2 amp dangerous?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 RZ2 WS Syn2 amp dangerous?!

Need some advice on a issue with Wet Sounds Syn2 amp.

On our previous lake trip, everything worked flawless. 2010 RZ2 with WS Syn6 driving six WS boat speakers and a Syn2 driving a pair of WS Pro 60 tower speakers and the WS sub.

On the way trailering home, we were absolutely drenched by a huge thunderstorm for an hour. Let boat sit out in sunshine for several hours before putting it in the boat house. Boat was drenched.

Took the boat to the lake this weekend and noticed the tower speakers and sub weren't working. All other speakers were. Opened up compartment and noticed Syn2 was not showing to be powered on. Assumed the tower speakers and sub are powered by Syn2. Checked the three 25 amp fuses on Syn2 and all were still good. Subsequently tested the power to Syn2 and it wasn't getting power from input wire. Checked connection at battery and Bussmann 60 amp marine fuse was blown. Thought it would be an easy fix....

Today I replaced the fuse at the battery and turned on boat and head unit. Syn2 still didn't power up??? Checked power wire and I'm getting power in to the amp now. Checked the three 25 amp fuses on the Syn2 and all three were now blown. Went to replace those and as soon as I attempted to plug in a new 25A fuse, it sparked huge and started to melt off end of blades! Didn't blow fuse, but obviously a huge problem.

Question is, and I assume the problem is, the amp is bad and has obviously had a short or malfunction inside?? Any suggestions or other things to check? Never had blade fuses spark so violently just plugging one in. Weird. Maybe amp got really wet somehow during the rain storm and it fried something?? The Syn6 is mounted right above it so I would think it would have gotten wet too... Anyway, looks like a new amp is in order.

Thanks for any input!

Sounds like a ton of current is going into the amp, the real question is the amp sinking all that current or is the short in the speakers/speaker wiring. Easy way to tell will be to disconnect the speakers from the amp and measure the resistance of the speaker wire/speaker. Assuming you have a single 4ohm speaker per wire you should see something greater than 3.5ohms or so. In most speaker configurations, you should measure greater the 2ohms. With a short as bad as you have described, if the current path is out of the amp through the speaker wiring, that speaker wiring would measure way less than 1ohm and most likely be fried!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ugh! I'll check it the next time I get a chance, it's in storage at the moment an hour away.

It's weird that it blew the main 60A fuse at the battery the first time and not the three 25A channel fuses and then once I replaced the 60A, it immediately blew the three 25's. Hopefully they protected the speakers/wiring. All the speaker wiring looked normal coming out of the amp as much as I could see (no discoloration or shrinking of the insulation). I'll take a meter and measure resistance next chance I get. Thanks!

Comment

If I was to guess, I’d guess the amp is the culprit, but mike will know a lot better than me when it comes to audio equipment!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's weird that it blew the main 60A fuse at the battery the first time and not the three 25A
          75 greater then 60.

When you tried replacing the amp fuses, I assume the positive and negative cables were connected? Was the head unit on, putting the amp in on mode?

I would remove the amp, pull the shroud off and I bet you will see a burned spot on the board somewhere. 99% sure the amp is toast for whatever reason. Chassis mounted fuses rarely blow and it not be a catastrophic failure. Id also not want to power up the other amp, until i knew it was completely dry.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks for the info. When I replaced the blade fuses, the pos and neg were connected. The head unit was not on and the fuses blew and sparked. Thats part of what concerned me was the blade fuses should not have even been getting power if the amp wasn't turned on by the remote power lead from other amp/headunit. I agree it's probably toast and I've already ordered a replacement. Thanks for insight and confirmation I wasn't missing something obvious!

Comment

If the power cables are connected, the fuse will have voltage through them. They protect the amp's power supply.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
              X