Subwoofers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subwoofers

I'm am debating on changing my subwoofers out on my Tige 23V. I have 2 10s under the steering console now and have been given 2 12s. What I'm debating is to go with the 2 12s or step up to one 15. I would lose a lot of space if I went with 2 10s and the 2 12s. The amp is not an issue.
    So the question is...
    Do I run the 2 12s or the 1 15?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

not sure brand and budget you have and chp will chime in here I am sure.
    last 2 boats I had ran a single JL 12w6 and it was more than enough. you really only need 1 good 12" sub if it's in a properly designed/built box and amp'ed/tuned right.
    2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
    2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Two 12" woofers is about 50% more surface then two 10", so you absolutely gain output, as well as bass extension. However, two 12" are about 30% more surface area over a single 15". So in that scenario, your only real gain, is bass extension.

This is taking into account that the amp wattage stays the same and all 3 scenarios are using the same enclosure type. But lets say you are looking at comparing two 12" in a sealed, compared to a single 15" in a ported. Now the scale tips to the 15". However, my gut says the gross enclosure dimensions of these two setups, are going to be close.

I would take the output of the greater surface area of two smaller woofers, over the gain in bass extension of a single larger woofer, in a boat. Raising the low end output, allows us to drive the woofer(s) a little harder.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Yes the 15 would be in a ported. I dont believe I would have enough room to put 2 12s in a ported box so they would have to be sealed. I can get my hands on Massive HIPPO 15. This is a better sub then the 2 12s I have but I'm wanting a good balanced clean sound. Something that will be heard if I want it to be.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

A 15" in a ported enclosure would have the advantage over two 12's in a sealed.

What kind of rms wattage are you going to drive it with?

You do realize that thats a paper based cone on those massive woofers? Not at all ideal, for a boat.

Have you looked at the enclosure specs? 4+ ft3 net for ported? That could be close to 5.0ft3 gross. Thats efin UGE!
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
          X