R23 Stereo Upgrade- Here we go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R23 Stereo Upgrade- Here we go!

Starting my winter project on the new R23....

Stereo.jpg

- Tearing out the HTX-4 DSP and the two pairs of stock WS 6" and replacing it with the HTX-6 to power the new Revo 6's inboat speakers.
    - Installing REV 10" and REV 8" WS tower speakers. These will be powered by the SYN-DX 2.3 amp.
    - Installing the 12" sub (4ohm version) to be powered by the HTX-2 amp.
    - All speakers getting LED RGB rings
    - ...and to power everything, adding in two Kinetik HD batteries with an on-board charger and Bluesea ACR switch. (Had them in the 20V so just re-installing).
    - oh, and throwing up a couple LED's on the tower for mood lighting while I'm at it and a couple DAGON V2 underwater lights!

I expect this to be a few long weekends in the shop! Just have to make sure to bring out the beer cooler and TV for some late nights

Sounds like fun! Post some pictures during the process!

Comment

Will try! I’m pretty bad at remembering to take progress pictures as I get so focused on just getting the stuff installed, I forget.

I went through a whole kitchen remodel and even forgot to take the before pics!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Be careful installing the RGB rings on the Rev 8’s and 10’s. They are fragile, in particular the soldered joints. I have broken several installing them at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianrzr View Post
          Be careful installing the RGB rings on the Rev 8’s and 10’s. They are fragile, in particular the soldered joints. I have broken several installing them at work.
          The trick for that one is to upsize the hole you put at the "hump" in the can with a drill bit so the rings clear the soldered connections.

Thats a great project wired1236. You will be super stoked when you are all done.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
            The trick for that one is to upsize the hole you put at the "hump" in the can with a drill bit so the rings clear the soldered connections.

Thats a great project wired1236. You will be super stoked when you are all done.
            Thanks for the heads up! I’ll let you know how it goes. I think the trickiest part will be the FA sub. Just makes me nervous cutting up a new boat that much but I’ve seen the other posts showing what others have done so that should help.

The plan is to go ahead and free air it then see how it sounds. If we did not like it, then we’ll make a box for it but the 12” I expect will be just fine for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

An IB woofer setup, like a ported enclosure, is not nearly as forgiving as a sealed enclosure setup. Amp tuning makes a huge difference. I would see if your dealer is willing to trade your 12FA 4 ohm for the 12FA 2 ohm, and the HTX-2 for the HTX-1.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I see you have a pair of both Rev-8's and Rev 10's. I am thinking about doing that myself. Please tell us how it compares to having 4 of the same tower speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianrzr View Post
                  I see you have a pair of both Rev-8's and Rev 10's. I am thinking about doing that myself. Please tell us how it compares to having 4 of the same tower speakers.

I’ve never had all 4 matching so not sure I would know the difference. I mainly did it to have the best of both worlds. I wanted the 10’s for the sheer loudness and the 8’s in the inner mounts of the tower so I don’t hit my head as much when walking under them .

My last tower speakers I had where Samson and those speaker cans where made so a set of tweeters (separates) could be installed so they really sounded good closer to the boat. Obviously the WS are horns so they are meant to throw the sound out farther. If m interested to hear the difference between them in that sense.

Comment

I've also wondered about the logic behind a pair of rev 10's with a pair of rev 8's. This is what I have in my boat from the factory. As I recall, the rev 8 can take 200 watts RMS while the 10 can take 300. I believe in at least my situation one rev 8 and one rev 10 are powered off the same channel. This means tuning to get the most out of the rev 8, without damage. It also means the rev 10 is left way under its potential. So I guess the real question is what sounds better, two Rev 8's that both get (in theory) 200 RMS to them or one Rev 8 and one Rev 10 both with 200 RMS to them?

Comment

Good point! Ya, I realize I may not get full power to the 10’s that they can handle. I suppose if you tend to run your towers at full power a lot, I would be concerned with the 8’s but I don’t. I came from a setup with less than half this power and we were (mostly) happy. To be honest, I went with four tower speakers to really fill up the look of the tower, not to get twice the sound and the 10’s should get me a little better base response and base carries distance better than higher frequencies.

I would rather keep it in the tolerable range and have it sound good rather than blast it out there as I tend to like quality more than quantity. Im confident I can tune it and if not, there’s ways to change things out so I can.

Comment

Two things are for sure. More speakers = more volume. Larger speakers = deeper mid-bass. Regarding the later, the larger speaker will naturally play louder, even with both powered the same. Just the laws of physics. With this fact, the rev-10 will be dominant over the smaller rev-8, even though the rev-8 is contributing to the overall volume.

In the case of an 8" and 10" wired together on the same amp chnl, you have to tune to the smaller speaker. With the factory Syn-DX2, this really doesnt have a huge impact, considering the amp power is the deciding factor. You could run both at the same x-over Hz and gain level, since the amp is within the smaller speaker's comfort zone, without over driving it. With a more powerful amp, you can be leaving some performance of the larger speaker untapped.

Even though the above scenario has the larger speaker driven at an RMS below its suggested RMS, the larger speaker will not perform poorly due to this. A sports car that can run 150 MPH, doesnt run bad, just cause the sign along the road keeps you at 65 MPH. With that said, there are times where low amp wattage, forces us to ask more out of a system, then it can deliver. We can drive the system into a condition of clipping. So more of related to low amp wattage, but not a direct result of it.
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                          Two things are for sure. More speakers = more volume. Larger speakers = deeper mid-bass. Regarding the later, the larger speaker will naturally play louder, even with both powered the same. Just the laws of physics. With this fact, the rev-10 will be dominant over the smaller rev-8, even though the rev-8 is contributing to the overall volume.

In the case of an 8" and 10" wired together on the same amp chnl, you have to tune to the smaller speaker. With the factory Syn-DX2, this really doesnt have a huge impact, considering the amp power is the deciding factor. You could run both at the same x-over Hz and gain level, since the amp is within the smaller speaker's comfort zone, without over driving it. With a more powerful amp, you can be leaving some performance of the larger speaker untapped.

Even though the above scenario has the larger speaker driven at an RMS below its suggested RMS, the larger speaker will not perform poorly due to this. A sports car that can run 150 MPH, doesnt run bad, just cause the sign along the road keeps you at 65 MPH. With that said, there are times where low amp wattage, forces us to ask more out of a system, then it can deliver. We can drive the system into a condition of clipping. So more of related to low amp wattage, but not a direct result of it.
                          Well said Mike. Better than I could explain it (obviously).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've also wondered about the logic behind a pair of rev 10's with a pair of rev 8's. This is what I have in my boat from the factory. As I recall, the rev 8 can take 200 watts RMS while the 10 can take 300. I believe in at least my situation one rev 8 and one rev 10 are powered off the same channel. This means tuning to get the most out of the rev 8, without damage immortalromanceslot
. It also means the rev 10 is left way under its potential. So I guess the real question is what sounds better, two Rev 8's that both get (in theory) 200 RMS to them or one Rev 8 and one Rev 10 both with 200 RMS to them?

Comment

Originally posted by Sherley View Post
                              I've also wondered about the logic behind a pair of rev 10's with a pair of rev 8's. This is what I have in my boat from the factory. As I recall, the rev 8 can take 200 watts RMS while the 10 can take 300. I believe in at least my situation one rev 8 and one rev 10 are powered off the same channel. This means tuning to get the most out of the rev 8, without damage immortalromanceslot
. It also means the rev 10 is left way under its potential. So I guess the real question is what sounds better, two Rev 8's that both get (in theory) 200 RMS to them or one Rev 8 and one Rev 10 both with 200 RMS to them?
                              Correct, 1 rev 8 and 1 rev 10 are wired to each amp chnl. With the OEM system, neither speaker would ever be over powered with the amp tuned to its full potential. But yes, the larger speaker does have more power handling capacity then the smaller speaker.

Which setup sound better? The one with the larger speaker, always. Powering a speaker below its RMS, will not make it sound poor. Its like expecting a corvette to run bad until we get it above 100 MPH. It runs fine and handles good on city streets, but has the potential to go fast and handle hard cornering and do it very well.

Comment

Working...
                              X