Best subwoofer option to pair with HTX-1 Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best subwoofer option to pair with HTX-1 Amp

I have the Wet Sounds HTX-1 Amp that I need to pair with a new subwoofer that I will install under the driver side helm of my 2004 22V. I'm planning on using a free air sub and just cutting a hole in the helm to install. I know a lot of guys are building custom enclosures, but I don't have the skill or time for that unfortunately. I have in-boat Wet Sound 65i Recons (the new brand for the XS-65i), so i'd prefer to get a WS sub to match as opposed to other brands.

The HTX-1 will drive 330 W @ 4 ohms or 650 W @ 2 Ohms. I

Should I get a 4 ohm 10" Revo Sub (300 RMS), or a 2 Ohm 12" Revo (500 RMS)?

Thoughts? Which will be best bang (or thump) for the buck?

No matter what go with a 2 ohm woofer. You can always dial back and regulate amp output, but you cant make the amp make more power.

Id also go with a 12" woofer over a 10", is clearance is not an issue. A 12" offers about 50% more driver surface area. Thats more output even at the same amp wattage, with only a small increase in investment.

Revo-12FA 2 ohm
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Go 12” all day you won’t regret it and mikes Liquid audio is the man to get everything you need he’s the best
      surf till u die.

Comment

I did the same...I used the 10" factory hole in the helm and opened it up to accept the WS12 FA 2ohm and paired it with WS syn 2.
        There is a little bit of a box there with some porting in the back, but I did not want to build a box and cut up the helm as well.

OMG what a difference from the WS10"fa to the 12" !!!

For me, that was the best bang and thump for the buck.
        But I want to feel the bass drum hit me in the chest...

You wont be disappointed.

Follow Chpthril's advice.
        2 Ohm all the way!!
        Last edited by Ironrequiem; 10-09-2018, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironrequiem View Post
          I did the same...I used the 10" factory hole in the helm and opened it up to accept the WS12 FA 2ohm and paired it with WS syn 2.
          There is a little bit of a box there with some porting in the back, but I did not want to build a box and cut up the helm as well.

OMG what a difference from the WS10"fa to the 12" !!!

For me, that was the best bang and thump for the buck.
          But I want to feel the bass drum hit me in the chest...

You wont be disappointed.

Follow Chpthril's advice.
          2 Ohm all the way!!
          Cutout? Does anyone know if the cutout exists in the 2004 22V helm? I'd hate to pull the carpet down if I don't have to.....

Comment

I dont think it did, on a 2004. Should just be able to cut the hole. I would not even pull the carpet down. Tape it off, mark hole with sharpie then use razor to cut out carpet circle. use hole in carpet as template to cut hole in wall. Mount woofer.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

No way I'd ever waste money on a free air sub again. The factory system was pathetic until I swapped out the 10"FA sub for a 12". My stereo went from a 2 to a 8. spend the time or money have someone build a slot ported enclosure that matches the specs of the woofer. Best money you'll ever spend on an upgrade.

WetsoundsSPL.jpg
              Last edited by tunafoot; 10-12-2018, 02:56 AM.

Comment

I swapped out the 10"FA sub for a 12".
                LOL, no way to compare a 10 to a 12. At this point, being infinite-baffle has ZERO to do with it.

build a slot ported enclosure that matches the specs of the woofer.
                Going from IB (almost equal to a sealed alignment) to a ported enclosure, is like doubling the surface are of the driver, do to the port's output. Again, has zero to do with the IB alignment.

My points can be proven by enclosing the factory IB woofer in a small sealed enclosure and touching nothing else. Sadly, there are a few things with the factory woofer setup that need to be done, that can make a world of difference. Cost = zero, time = a little spent.

Comment

I agree with most of your points mike...but enclosing the factory IB woofer in a sealed enclosure is retarded. In my Z3, Tige screwed the pooch by sticking a free air 10 it a tiny area that treats the sub like its in a small sealed box. Then to prove Tige didn't care about how the system sounds they added a 6" full range speaker to the same baffle to share the air space with the sub. How is that 6" speaker supposed to so its job?

...to clarify my last post I'm advocating to match the enclosure to the subwoofer, but I still wouldn't use a IB sub in a boat. A free air sub would bottom out before you could get decent output unless you used multiple drivers. In my home theater I'm using (4) 18" Fi Audio IB3 subs mounted through a manifold in the ceiling to get the same output that I could have gotten with (1) or (2) subs of the same size in a ported enclosure.

Comment

but enclosing the factory IB woofer in a sealed enclosure is retarded.
                    I agree and do not suggest it. My comment was to make a point. The IB alignment is not the issue. The output of a 10 IF woofer driven with 400w is going to be about the same as an acoustic suspension woofer in a sealed enclosure driven with the same 400W. Will they sound the same? nope. This is proven when you listen to the wet sounds 10fa compared to the 10HP. Kicker KM10 and KMF-10. Same size, same company, different sound. Part of is this the difference between a small sealed and large IB cavity, but also the suspension and dampening characteristic differences. This is seen in their T/S parameters.

In my Z3, Tige screwed the pooch by sticking a free air 10 it a tiny area that treats the sub like its in a small sealed box.
                    Tige did this on most all the models in the 20-teens. There are dozens of threads, some with pics, where i have advocated for pulling the woofer out and cutting the back wall of said quasi-enclosure in order to open the back of the woofer up to the large bow cavity. This makes a world of difference. Next up, proper tuning.

A free air sub would bottom out before you could get decent output unless you used multiple drivers.
                    "Decent output" is subjective. However, I have to disagree with the bottoming out. With a correct IB alignment, which the OP's 04 can support, and with proper tuning, which the HTX-1 can provide, an IG woofer can deliver plenty of bass extension and plenty of output, without over excursion.

(4) 18" Fi Audio IB3 subs mounted through a manifold in the ceiling to get the same output that I could have gotten with (1) or (2) subs of the same size in a ported enclosure.
                    Sure. two 18's in ported enclosures is theoretically about the same surface area as four 18's IB. This same comparison can be made with two in ported and 4 in sealed. the advantage comes from the port's output, its not the fault of the IB alignment.

Your graph above is misleading, because its apples to oranges. As noted, no way to compare a 10" IB or sealed, to a 12" ported. Cant even compare a 12 IB or sealed to a 12 ported. The port output always has the advantage.

Comment

Working...
                    X