Woofer upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woofer upgrade?

I am thinking about upgrading my Wetsounds FA10 to a FA12. I currently power the woofer and 6 in-boats with an old Syn 6, and two Rev 8’s with a matching Syn 4. Is going to a 12” woofer worth the effort?

Absolutely! Going from a 10" to a 12" is about 60% more speaker surface. Thats way more moving air, which equals more bass volume without the need for more amp wattage. You also gain the bass depth of the larger woofer.

if you have not already done it, make sure the back side of the woofer is also wide open to the mid-ship locker. This will also improve the woofers performance.

You can take it to the next level and go with 2 ohm woofer and the HTX-1 for it. This free's up the Syn-6 to power only the in-boats.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
      Absolutely! Going from a 10" to a 12" is about 60% more speaker surface. Thats way more moving air, which equals more bass volume without the need for more amp wattage. You also gain the bass depth of the larger woofer.

if you have not already done it, make sure the back side of the woofer is also wide open to the mid-ship locker. This will also improve the woofers performance.

You can take it to the next level and go with 2 ohm woofer and the HTX-1 for it. This free's up the Syn-6 to power only the in-boats.
      What do you mean by “if you have not already done it, make sure the back side of the woofer is also wide open to the mid-ship locker. This will also improve the woofers performance.?”

Comment

There is a generation of models where the design of the helm enclosure the infinite-baffle/free-air woofer is a very small cavity. This cavity needs to be opened up so the back of the woofer is open to the large volume of the mid-ship locker.

Here is an example http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...way&highlight=
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks for your advice. I have a heater located in the mid-Ship locker now, but I will see if it's location can be adjusted.

Comment

Chpthril

I'd like to do this in my 2011 rz4. Can the existing cutout be made to fit a 12"

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, absolutely! IIRC, the 2011 was before Tige created the small cavity/structure around the back of the woofer and the helm wall was still very thick. If you see the back of the woofer when you open the bow seat back, then you are good to go.

Comment

Nah it is closed. That is where I have my anchor. I've looked in the cavity before and it is pretty tight.

Comment

It can still be done, but you need to open up that small cavity into the bow locker air space, if it resembles the example in the link above. Worth the effort!

Comment

Do you know what size hole would be a good start? Does it have to be a circle? ie could I carve out a long skinny rectangle at the top of it so my anchor can't hit against the back of the sub?

Comment

In a perfect world, we would want the opening to be equal to the surface area of the woofer. This may be tough, so open it up as much as possible. The goal is to make the cavity immediately behind the woofer, seem as its part of the air space on the other side of that structure.

Comment

Is it possible to upgrade woofer in a 2018 Z3 with heater to a 12?

Comment

Yes, im very confident. The heater should allow for some re-positioning, as well as you can re-center the woofer's hole when you make the new, larger hole. However, as we have mentioned above, whats it look like behind the woofer, is a question I cannot answer on a 2018. The back of the woofer, whether its the OEM 10FA or the upgrade 12FA, needs to have a large air space behind it. if not, it hinders the woofers performance.

Ideally, you will want your Wet Sounds dealer to write a new amp tune that suites the new woofer.

Comment

Here's what I have. Looks like I can get a sizable hole behind it

Looks like a Revo 12 fa would be pushing it without adjusting everything.

Comment

Looks like 2011 was the year of the new helm design. Ive got a pic of a 2010 I did dual woofers and its the old helm wall.

Gonna be tight, but doable I think. Just need to get that cavity opened up behind it.

Comment

Working...
                              X