I Think My Stereo Could Be Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Think My Stereo Could Be Better

I haven't been overly impressed with the sound of my music, and wished it was a bit better. It sounds WAY better than my last boat, but I think for everything I have it should be even better. For starters there is little to no bass. My boat has the wetsounds 10" located in a sealed enclosure right behind the drivers seat. I'm sure that has something to do with it. I'd like to build a box and put it under the helm, which may happen this winter. The six inboats sound pretty good as well as the 4 Rev 8's on the tower. I do HATE the Rev 8 though. I hit my head on them all the time. I am talking with Mike right now about swapping my four 8's for two Rev 10's that he has. I can stick them in the corners of the tower and I think that will solve my problem. I guess they wont be as loud as 4 rev 8's, but I don't need volume, just clean sound.

Here's some pictures of what I have:

021.jpg

028.jpg

024.jpg

023.jpg

017.jpg

016.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

012.jpg

029.jpg

On the 6ch amp, is it weird that I have no inputs on 5 & 6, but I have speaker wire on the outputs? Same with Ch 3 & 4 on the 4ch amp.

How does the wetsounds equalizer play into all of this? Should I run the main volume off my Clarion deck with the main equalizer maxed or visa-versa, or maybe both? By the way, I hate the Clarion deck and will get rid of it soon. So that may factor into what I do.

On the chart I wrote up, do all those numbers/settings look good? Should I just start playing around with them or wait till I get feedback? (The chart is of all the current settings, as I found them. If that wasn't clear.) I am guessing that if one of the channels gain is at the third line ( I assume that's 30%) that means it only sends out 30% of available power? And then the equalizer then has the ability to cut it back further, but at max, it will still just be 30%. Sound right? So could I max all the gains out and then use the equalizer to cut them back? That would make all the adjustments done at the equalizer where it's easy to get at. Though I imagine, once it's set up I will never mess with the sound again.

Thanks for any insite.

What model WS-420 is that? SQ or pre-SQ version?

Excellent detailed notes. I definitively see some area of improvement in those tuning settings. Although I would not make any adjustments to the HT-4 until the final speaker decision is reached as it will have an entirely different setup if you make a change.

In simple terms, the EQ interrupts the signal from the head unit to the amps. Using a variable resister, it can turn the volume down from what ever level the head unit is set to. So if the head unit is at 85% of MAX, thats the level going to the EQ. the EQ cannot add more volume, but simple control it up that 85% and lower.

As to the amp gain. Zero gain would likely be nearly no output from the amp, but maybe just a little if you maxed the volume. Gain adjusts are not linear so 30% of the gain dials rotation will not equal 30% of its potential. Depending on the strength of the input signal, an amp can make its rated output anywhere across the entire sweep of the gain dial.

So a gain @ 30% does not mean theres 70% untapped power.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

sure wish wetsounds would have made a 10" non hcld driver for those that surf and don't want the rev 10's
      personally found them a tad harsh.

my .02 on the system, if you like the rev 8's the 2 rev10's will be fine. I'd swap out the 10" sub for a 12" in a proper cabinet and call it a day.
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

I'll check on the EQ tonight.

Comment

I only have a pair of Rev 10's on the sides and still hit my head. Don't think that will change too much for you.lol.

Also found if you turn down the high's on the 10's they aren't so bright or harsh as others do.

Comment

I haven't hit the two mounted in the corners of the tower, just the two that are mounted more in the center of the tower, basically in the walkway. Drives me crazy. Plus freeing up that room might make mounting surf boards there a good option.

Comment

Mike, it is the 420sq.

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
                sure wish wetsounds would have made a 10" non hcld driver for those that surf and don't want the rev 10's
                personally found them a tad harsh.

my .02 on the system, if you like the rev 8's the 2 rev10's will be fine. I'd swap out the 10" sub for a 12" in a proper cabinet and call it a day.
                I surf with a pair of Rev10's and a Rev410, just gotta get them tuned right.

Comment

Working...
                X