Installing new wet sounds XS-650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing new wet sounds XS-650

Hey guys! I'm installing 6 new wet sounds XS-650 driven by an htx-6 in my boat and they'll be replacing components in the bow and cockpit. My question is this, should I run the XS-650s through the crossovers and use the tweets in the boat or take the crossovers out completely, disconnect the tweets, and leave them as fillers for the hole that'd be exposed otherwise? I'm leaning towards the latter and while I'm learning, I'll be the first to say I don't know a lot about stereo stuff.
    I'm also trying to figure out an affordable way to put my tower speakers on a separate volume control, i.e. 2 seperate zones. I'm aware of the wetsounds 420BT and really like the features of it but am wondering if there's something else that'd give me 2 zone control more cost effective. I'm already over budget on revamping the stereo this summer.

Thanks in advance

Leave the old cross over and tweeter out of the audio loop. The XS-650 has its own matched cross-over and tweeter thats already wired in.

As long as the tower speakers are on their own amp, as in on 2 separate chnls from the other speakers, in-boat/tower zone control is very straight forward.

The best and most budget friendly option is the Kicker ZXM-RLC dual zone control. Its an active unit with a line lever bump in pre-amp signal. Does not need long RCA cable runs as the dials connect to a control module via data cable. Module can be mounted close to amps and head unit, only requiring short RCA cables.

Next up would be a passive line level like the Rozwell dual zone. Downside. It would require a 3 long RCA runs in your case. One over to the helm from the head unit and two pair back to the amps for the two zones. Also, its splits the already low head unit pre-amp level. This mainly means the gains need to be bumped up in order to compensate for the divided voltage. However, with the cost of the dual zone knob and quality RCAs, you are right there with the Kicker ZXM. This makes it the better choice.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thank you Mike! In your opinion is the wet sounds 420BT the way to go over the kicker ZXM-RLC? I know you gain an EQ and hand mic with the wetsounds product which would be nice. How does the EQ on the 420BT interface with a deck as far as sound settings? Is it better to just lose the deck altogether? Typically I'm using Bluetooth or plugged into the deck via USB if I need a charge. Can you charge a device off the 420BT?

Comment

In cases where we have the 420SQ/BT in line between a traditional head unit and amps, I like to leave the head unit settings flat and always make sure the "loudness" is off. Make your minor tweaks at the 420.

There can be some advantages to retaining a perfectly good working head unit. It offers a little pre-amp bump into the EQ, which bumps it a little more. The remote turn-on function from the head unit to trigger on the amps and EQ. On rare occasions, you might get a little turn-on pop/thump when we use a rocker and turn on the EQ and amps at the same time. So even though the basic head unit modes like tuner and CD are no longer used, its worth considering to just keep it.

No USB for charging or streaming on the EQs. But, there are plenty of USB charge ports out there and many fit a typically ACC cig socket hole. Not much needs for these, these days. USB streaming is another reason for retaining a head unit, if it has USB.

As to the ZXM and 420 or 220. Its really hard to make a comparison between the two as they 420/220 offers many more features. You need to look at the system as a hole, what you want out of it user wise, and go with which one best fits. Cant even look at it from a price standpoint either. Both are quality devises and do what they do very well. Both offer a pre-amp bump in signal level. This is where they go different paths.

WS-EQ:
        master volume plus 3 zone or 4 zone with the WS-220
        dual 4 zone EQ with the 420-SQ and BT
        MIC

The ZXM is the simplest, most effective dual zone volume out there. If two zone volume is what your system needs, you cant go wrong. If you woofer amp a sub level controller, boom, you now have 3 zones. Other wise, we typically link the woofer to the in-boats for one zone.

With a universal blue tooth, the ZXM can become a head-unit-less system as well.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks for the details Mike! I think Ill probably save some more loot and get the WS 420BT. For a couple hundred it seems the benefits outweigh the price difference.
          Thanks again

Comment

I decided to go with the kicker zxm rlc. It was an easy install, mine came with 2 long wires for the controls. I was surprised because I'd heard complaints about the short cord they were including for one of the zones.
            This way it'll save me a couple hundo to use towards my sub upgrade. I don't really want the mic and I don't need the SQ as I've got a deck anyhow. I have a bass knob on my Rockford fosgate amp for my sub already so I'll have three zones. Now I just need a good 12" 2 ohm or 4 ohm DVC sub that'll handle 500 watts RMS @2 ohms.

Comment

In the beginning, the ZXM did come with a short and long cable. I made my opinion known and kep making it. Late last year, they made the change and started shipping with 2 long cables, woo hoo! Wish I could have been your source for the Kicker though.

CompVR 4 ohm is a solid performer.

Comment

Sorry to disappoint Chpthril! I shop mostly online after I figure out what I want. I'll make it a habit of calling or emailing you first for future purchases as I appreciate all your great advice and support of the community here as well as the good deals I know you deliver.
                I see the 12" compVR is 400 RMS. Would it be ok to run it on my Rockford fosgate R500-1?
                I had taken it out of my last boat and it's just sitting. It has a bass knob and It supposedly can supply 500 RMS at 2. Plus it's paid for! I may put a higher end sub and amp in next year but I'm about tapped on boat upgrades this year. I'll see how it sounds when I get a sub in it I suppose.

Comment

If your amp delivers 500W rms @ 2 ohm, then the Kicker CompVR124 is perfect. Build a ported enclosure for it and you gain even more of an output advantage.

Comment

Working...
                  X