Stereo Help/Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stereo Help/Upgrade

I have a 24Ve that I bought used a few years ago. I am guessing the previous owner did some work on the stereo but I cant tell if they were really smart or I am really stupid

When I bought it had what I believe was the factory kicker tower speaker pods it had 2 speakers and 2 tweeters per pod and I had two of them. (though only 1 pod worked) I pulled my Kicker KMT60's off my old boat before I sold it that where brand new. Installed them and they both magically worked no issues. I then replaced what was a "German Maestro" 10" Boxed sub for a WS-XS10FA. All of these "upgrades" were used with the already in place wiring.

The boat has 7 in-board "German Maestro" speakers and 7 what I believe are factory tweeters. I also just picked up another WS-XS10FA. I have 2 amps (1 Factory Kicker Amp, and 1 Aftermarket Alpine). Here is what I found out:

German Maestro Speakers-60W RMS/130W Max
    Kicker KMT60 25-150W RMS/300W Max
    WS-XS10FA 300W RMS/600W Max

I know the tower and 1 XS10FA are ran off the smaller Alpine Amp
    All the inboard Speakers and tweeters are ran off the bigger Kicker.

Don't get me wrong the system sounds pretty good but I know the right AMPS, WS420BT, and XS-650's in boats would take it to the next level. So I need a AMP recommendation to run the following:

7 XS-650 with factory tweeters
    2 Kicker KMT60's (4 speakers total)
    2 WS-XS10FA
    WS420BT

I hate being far from the boat since I wont be able to pull serial/part # off the current amps so I have no idea whats actually in there.

Any help recommendations needed...
    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

7 XS-650 with factory tweeters
    The tweeters are decorations now, you wont want them in the mix IMO.

They come in pairs so start looking for a place for #8 or drop the one under the helm and run 3 pair. You know these are on special right now. A TO member is trying to get a few confirmed orders together. Both the 650 and 650RGB

So, to answer the question, Wet Sounds Syn-DX4 for 4 pair or 3 pair or the HTX-6 for 3 pair

2 Kicker KMT60's (4 speakers total)
    Wet Sounds Syn-DX2 or HTX-2

2 WS-XS10FA
    Hopefully they are both the same coil configuration. Cant give a specific amp model without that, but for two, I would suggest no less than 300W to each. So an amp that delivers 600W rms at whatever the 2 woofer's final impedance is. Ideally, id shoot for an 800-1200W rms amp for them.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks Mike I was hoping you would respond. Yes I saw the sale on the speakers hoping to get in on it. If I can figure out the best way to do this I will likely drop the helm speaker since I have 2 10s coming through the wall there. Is there anyway to do this using only 2 Amps? I am trying to cut cost and avoid having to run all new wires back to the battery.
      My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Honestly, you will want to run new cabling. The factory installed 8ga is a little light IMO for the distance, to power any amp with any kind of respectable wattage output.

There are certainly more options than i listed above. There might be 2 amp options that come in more than a 3 amp option. There may be 2 amp options than meet budget, but leave a lot of speaker potential on the table.

Really need to know what those woofer coil configurations are, the amps hinge on them.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Awesome thanks Mike, I will give you a call when I am at the boat.

Comment

Mike you need a mid season visit to Laughlin? LOL

Comment

Brad, I just ran all new cabling to my system. Glad I did. Factory gauge was small and connections were horrible. Stereo worked fine before but limited expansion and updating.

Comment

I'm in a similar boat I've got a set of those kmt-60s that I purchased for my old boat but sold it before I got around to using them, figured I might as well give them a go on my 22ve. Planning on running three amps, JL 12 gets its own JL 500/1 amp. Gonna run 6 xs-650 on an htx-6, gonna run the tower on a yet to be picked two channel that's capable of around 200W RMS X2 @4 ohms. I was told the KTM-60s work best when run in stereo. I'm definitely gonna run new 0/1 gauge B+B-. It's currently 4 gauge. I'll use some of that 4 gauge between distribution blocks and amps. I'm still debating on a 420bt. I would love the zone control.
                Are you planning on replacing your deck with the 420 or augmenting it?

Comment

Yes, the KMT60 will dip well below it stated nominal impedance of 4 ohm. This makes it unwise to bridge it on an an amp that only stable down to 4 ohm bridged/2 ohm stereo. So I suggest a 2 chnl or you need a 4 chnl amp that stable to 1 ohm stereo. Not many are.

However, we can make a bridged 4 chnl run stereo to a pair of full range speakers like the KMT60. We can have the left twix on the left and right twix on the right, even though 2 corresponding amp chnls are bridged. However, each "pod" is running mono, same as any other speaker would wired to a single amp chnl.

Comment

Working...
                  X