Battery cable size??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery cable size??

Ok so I had so much fun last season with stereo upgrade I thought I would do it again.
    I am wanting to move my amps and battery to the starboard helm. Currently my stereo battery is next to my start battery and it's very crowded. My amps are in the port side helm and I don't like the location anymore now that I got rid of the HU and only have a WS420. The port side helm is very busy and the starboard side isn't and has stuff like toolbox, spare prop, paperwork, etc.

So, if I move my deep cycle to the starboard helm what size cable do I need to from battery to ACR? It's ~15' run if I had to guess.

Also, I am going to be adding two reversible Jabsco ultra ballast pumps. Do these get wired to extra stereo battery or starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd run the pumps off the house battery if you're unable to switch between sources. You don't want accessories running on your starter battery, that's for starting only in case you run down your house bank with stereo/pumps/whatever you're not stranded unable to start the boat.
    The couple reversible pump systems I've installed had dual battery perko switches so I ran 12 gauge wire from the common post on the switch to the pump switches with a fuse inline closest to the power connection. With a dual battery perko switch you can select whatever power source you want running things. (1/2/both/off)

Here's a chart to help with wire gauge selection based of amperage and run length.
    IMG_4199.jpg
    Last edited by Jetdriver; 04-25-2017, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Currently my stereo battery is next to my start battery and it's very crowded.
      And where are these batteries located currently?

So, if I move my deep cycle to the starboard helm what size cable do I need to from battery to ACR? It's ~15' run if I had to guess.
      Are you also running the proper "dual circuit plus" switch in conjunction with the ACR?
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Mike- currently the batteries are in the port side rear locker against transom with 1/0 hot/grd to the amps in the port side helm. Then Split to 4gauge to the amps. I suspect it's correct since Everything works good. now it's just that I think I can make it better while making room for the ballast pumps. I just need to make better use of the limited space. Right now I have places overused and other place not being used.

Mike- I'll be calling cause I need to buy some hose, fittings another pump and stuff to finish the the ballast install.

Comment

Jetdriver- I know of that chart but I assumed that was only for the relationship between battery and amps vs battery and alternator. Thanks on the pump advice.

Comment

To move the hose battery away from the switch/ACR, you will need a long run of ample gauge from the relocated battery to the switch and then back to the amp. This is just for the B+ side. Still need that long B- to link the banks. Hopefully, your existing 1/0 amp trunk line will be long enough to be re-purposed for one of these runs.

You have to watch those charts and know/understand where they come from. They can be completely wrong or either leave you 50% under gauge or 100% over gauge because they lack the context to interpret them correctly.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks Mike and I left myself long with the 1/0 in the likely event I was to make a change.

Also, i am wanting to make a amp panel and mount to the hull side inside the helm. I will need to glue some mounting points to have something to the screw the panel mount too. Will 3m 5200 be sufficient or have you used or recommend anything better?

Project includes:
              Amp & battery relocation
              Ballast install

Comment

Working...
              X