Amp Wiring kits...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp Wiring kits...

So am I the only one who is blown away with how much wire is to install these amps? I am really struggling with paying ~$300 in simply wires to install 2 amps. I can't be the only one with sticker shock on this cost

Are guys seriously spending that kind of coin for ~20 ft of 1/0 wire, 4 gauge, etc to install 2 amps?

**Nothing against our resident audio expert who is awesome!....I'm just floored at Wet Wire's cost and wanted to vent lol....
    Last edited by BurnMac42; 04-21-2017, 11:55 PM.

I wouldn't pay that.

Comment

Was the sub $300 for just 40ft of 1/0 and a few ft of 4ga? Did it include anything else, like a waterproof breaker, distribution block, RCA's, maybe 7 day a week tech support and a custom wiring diagram

Heres some for $10 p/ft, and you only have to buy a 50 ft. roll

http://www.kicker.com/PWB0500

And some for about $7.50 p/ft and one 50 ft roll would could do both B+ and B-, just keep it straight since its all the same color

https://wetsounds.com/cgi-bin/shoppe...&key=WW10RED50

So to answer your question, no, you are not the only one. The cost of copper is out of site. Its the least profitable item i use. We owe a thanks to China and a couple other countries that have exploded in development. They are consuming huge quantities of these types of materials, driving the price up.
      Last edited by chpthril; 04-22-2017, 12:23 AM.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
        Was the sub $300 for just 40ft of 1/0 and a few ft of 4ga? Did it include anything else, like a waterproof breaker, distribution block, RCA's, maybe 7 day a week tech support and a custom wiring diagram

Heres some for $10 p/ft, and you only have to buy a 50 ft. roll

http://www.kicker.com/PWB0500

And some for about $7.50 p/ft and one 50 ft roll would could do both B+ and B-, just keep it straight since its all the same color

https://wetsounds.com/cgi-bin/shoppe...&key=WW10RED50

So to answer your question, no, you are not the only one. The cost of copper is out of site. Its the least profitable item i use. We owe a thanks to China and a couple other countries that have exploded in development. They are consuming huge quantities of these types of materials, driving the price up.
        So i priced out the power management stuff from Wetsounds (distro block, breaker, fuses, etc) and that came out to $100-120.....Honest question is Wet wire 1/0 wire and 4 AWG wire that much better than the none name brand 1/0 and 4 gauge marine tinned generic wire that you can find for $2.50 and $1.12 respectively? I can maybe see them justifying a bigger price hike in the RCA wiring but just simple copper wire?

I know the ~$300 include RCA's in your stuff Chp which is awesome, but straight from Wetsounds their 2 amp install kit that doesn't even include RCA's is $450....I'm just trying to wrap my head around this lol....
        Last edited by BurnMac42; 04-22-2017, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Honest question is Wet wire 1/0 wire and 4 AWG wire that much better than the none name brand 1/0 and 4 gauge marine tinned generic wire that you can find for $2.50 and $1.12
          The true test is in the weight. Without a link(s) to that cable, its hard to make a blind comparison. However, stuff in that price range is either CCA or battery starter cable.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
            The true test is in the weight. Without a link(s) to that cable, its hard to make a blind comparison. However, stuff in that price range is either CCA or battery starter cable.
            Gotcha....see to a none-educated guy I initially think wire is wire so if it says tinned marine wire I think "what's the difference"....didn't know about CCA, starter quality, etc

So just as an example how is this stuff compared to Wet Wire:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KnuKonceptz-...38.m2548.l4275
            Last edited by BurnMac42; 04-22-2017, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Tinned marine should be 100% OFC with a tinned coating but its hard to say with a generic import cable. starter cable is typically very low strand count compared to amp cable. Makes it SUPER tough to work with for mobile audio applications. Low strand count means each strand is larger, this make sit hard to bend. Can be found cheaper in bulk due to a wider market. Amp cable has a very high strand count. Making it WAY more flexible to bend. High strand count means there are more strands but much smaller. Much more user friendly for amp installs.

CCA is copper clad aluminum. Super cheap as its mostly aluminum with a coating of copper as opposed to 100% copper. Easy to tell in the weight. super cheap cable is often CCA.

Comment

Have also seen cheap wire that will claim to be a certain AWG and when put next to a better wire it's obviously not, they just make up the difference with a slightly thicker insulation.

Comment

wiring my boat with 0 gauge wire and il bet it more than $300 i bout guarentee it so yeah Id prolly pay it oh wait no I wouldnt I can do way better and I do it myself that's what you should do
                  surf till u die.

Comment

Originally posted by 18c racing View Post
                    wiring my boat with 0 gauge wire and il bet it more than $300 i bout guarentee it so yeah Id prolly pay it oh wait no I wouldnt I can do way better and I do it myself that's what you should do
                    Where are you sourcing the wire from then at a much cheaper price?

Comment

Battery warehouse or electrical company
                      surf till u die.

Comment

Here is a good source for electrical witing and connectors:
                        www.waytekwire.com
                        Or
                        www.delcity.net

Waytek is generally better price and selection, del city is more of a trailer supply company.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
                        "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Working...
                        X