RZ4 XS-12 Sub Enclosure Dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RZ4 XS-12 Sub Enclosure Dimensions

Looks like its time to upgrade the bass on the 15 RZ4. After a lot of research, it seems the best route is a XS-12 with an enclosure under the helm. But I have a few questions.

1. What are the proper enclosure dimensions? I found these measurements off an RZ2 in this thread http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ades-2014-2015 . Are these the same for the RZ4?

2. What material is best for the box? There seems to be some debate here. Any articles detailing the process of building a proper marine box?

3. Can I sacrifice leg room for locker space? I'd much rather keep the locker space.

4. Anything else I should know?

After eyeballing the electronics under the helm, I might get away with not moving them at all. That is if the measurements above are correct. Even if I need to, it doesn't seem too difficult. Not having a heater makes things a lot easier.
    BABz - babzusa.com
    Austin, TX

The hull and deck of a rz2 and rz4 are going to be the same. What will be different year to year, are where the electronics are mounted, ballast sacs, pump and plumbing and other items like that.

1) depends on ported or sealed. The shape will effect actual dimensions, but the net volume has to be correct, regardless.
    2) I prefer birch ply, however, construction is more important.
    3) You can sacrifice as much as you are willing to give up. Thats up to you.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The referenced thread is from my boat upgrades of a couple years back. I can tell you that the design of the box from a dimension perspective is what I needed it to be for the installation in my boat. As Mike has pointed out, ported/sealed is the first question and then the volume will be defined - you can shape it to your application from there. From a performance perspective, this box does precisely what I wanted it to. Glad to answer any questions.
      2013 RZ2 with Convex VX, MLA Custom Sacs

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
        The hull and deck of a rz2 and rz4 are going to be the same. What will be different year to year, are where the electronics are mounted, ballast sacs, pump and plumbing and other items like that.

1) depends on ported or sealed. The shape will effect actual dimensions, but the net volume has to be correct, regardless.
        2) I prefer birch ply, however, construction is more important.
        3) You can sacrifice as much as you are willing to give up. Thats up to you.
        As always, thanks for the response. I will for sure be going the ported route. As far as electronics, plumbing, etc, it looks pretty clear. After doing a little more research, I think I'm going to bump it up to the XXX V2. Looks like Wet Sounds has plans for a duel ported box on their website. That seems to be the easiest route. If it fits.

Originally posted by Tulsah View Post
        The referenced thread is from my boat upgrades of a couple years back. I can tell you that the design of the box from a dimension perspective is what I needed it to be for the installation in my boat. As Mike has pointed out, ported/sealed is the first question and then the volume will be defined - you can shape it to your application from there. From a performance perspective, this box does precisely what I wanted it to. Glad to answer any questions.
        You did a hell of a job on your RZ2! I'm sure I will have more questions as I go along. I'd really like to know how you did the amp rack. I really need to clean mine up. I'd also like some more room for a few things I've added.
        BABz - babzusa.com
        Austin, TX

Comment

I think I'm going to bump it up to the XXX V2. Looks like Wet Sounds has plans for a duel ported box on their website. That seems to be the easiest route. If it fits.
          To quote MeatLoaf, Paradise By the Dashboard Lights "Stop Right There, I gotta Know Right Now" do you have enough amp wattage. Unless you are going to drive the amp with an honest 1000W rms or more, you will not get the full advantages of the XXX or the XS-12. Same size, 12", same wattage amp and both in a nearly identical posted enclosure = nearly the same output. The XXX has the excusrsion advantage, but only with the extra amp wattage to push it.

So, what amp do you have or was going to go with for the XS-12?

Looks like Wet Sounds has plans for a duel ported box on their website.
          The dual port offers no advantage. We can design a dual port for the XS-12. In fact, the XS-12 could drop right in that enclosure and work fine. However, the dual enclosure makes the outer dimensions of the enclosure greater, as compared to a single port enclosure tuned to the same spec.

So, while the dual enclosure looks mean, do if it will fit without adversely altering the box or taking up extra leg room. If needed, go with a single port enclosure and you get the same output.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The problem with some boxes I've seen on boats is water soaking the carpet under the helm and soaking into the box. Either glass the box or put some material under the box so it is slightly elevated and won't get wet. Any harder rubber squares or whatever you can find at the hardware store. I used 2" pvc pipe cut into 1/2" slices and a bit if rubber I had laying around to pad between the plastic and the enclosure.

Comment

To quote MeatLoaf, Paradise By the Dashboard Lights "Stop Right There, I gotta Know Right Now" do you have enough amp wattage. Unless you are going to drive the amp with an honest 1000W rms or more, you will not get the full advantages of the XXX or the XS-12. Same size, 12", same wattage amp and both in a nearly identical posted enclosure = nearly the same output. The XXX has the excusrsion advantage, but only with the extra amp wattage to push it.

So, what amp do you have or was going to go with for the XS-12?
              haha freaking MeatLoaf! Right now I'm running a Syn 2 to 4 Rev 10s and a Syn 6 to the inboats and sub. I was planning on upgrading the amps in the future. But not right now. I didn't run the numbers, But, on the wet sounds site they have this under recommended configuration. If I plan to upgrade the amps in the future, what would you recommend?

Marine Speakers and Subwoofers:
              - (2) to (4) pairs of XS-650 or XS-65 on channels 1-4. (1) XS-12 subwoofer or (1) XS-XXX subwoofer bridged 4 ohms on Channels 5/6 in low pass. Power: 60 or 105 x 4 and 600 x1
              - (2) to (4) pairs of XS-650 or XS-65 on channels 1-4. (1) or (2), XS-10FA D4 subwoofers or XS12 D4 subwoofers on channels 5/6 in low pass. Power: 60 or 105 x 4 and 305 x 1 or 305 x 2.

The dual port offers no advantage. We can design a dual port for the XS-12. In fact, the XS-12 could drop right in that enclosure and work fine. However, the dual enclosure makes the outer dimensions of the enclosure greater, as compared to a single port enclosure tuned to the same spec.

So, while the dual enclosure looks mean, do if it will fit without adversely altering the box or taking up extra leg room. If needed, go with a single port enclosure and you get the same output.
              I honestly don't mind what the enclosure looks like. I just want the best performance. From what measurements I can gather without doing any cutting, it looks like the dual would fit. This would require relocating the 650 to somewhere else. But this was something I was planning on doing anyway. Hydrotunes recommended it when they gave me a quote awhile back and it doesn't seem very difficult. Where to I'm not exactly sure yet.

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
              The problem with some boxes I've seen on boats is water soaking the carpet under the helm and soaking into the box. Either glass the box or put some material under the box so it is slightly elevated and won't get wet. Any harder rubber squares or whatever you can find at the hardware store. I used 2" pvc pipe cut into 1/2" slices and a bit if rubber I had laying around to pad between the plastic and the enclosure.
              I was planning on using some kind of rubber feet. This seems like the best way to let any water dry out around the box.
              BABz - babzusa.com
              Austin, TX

Comment

The outside dimensions of a ported xs-12 and xs-xxx are going to be very close, so that really does not play into it. If a sub woofer upgrade is in the near future, then yes, go with the XXX now. If no woofer amp upgrade is in the future, then the Xs-12 would be the better match on that 600W.

Absolutely need to elevate the enclosure off the floor. Not only for the box, but also lets the carpet breath.

Comment

The outside dimensions of a ported xs-12 and xs-xxx are going to be very close, so that really does not play into it. If a sub woofer upgrade is in the near future, then yes, go with the XXX now. If no woofer amp upgrade is in the future, then the Xs-12 would be the better match on that 600W.

Absolutely need to elevate the enclosure off the floor. Not only for the box, but also lets the carpet breath.
                  I could always go with the xs-12 for now, then upgrade to the xxx when I decide to pull the trigger on the amps. I guess the first step here is to see if the box will fit. Any thoughts on a location to move the 650 to? I was thinking right behind the captains seat facing port. Right in front of the trash can access. If I remember correctly this is where Hydrotunes recommended.
                  BABz - babzusa.com
                  Austin, TX

Comment

Design the enclosure to optimize the XXX, but also to suite the XS-12. I would move it to forward and below the throttle or incorporate it into the amp helm facade. You are going to want it in the captains chair area.

Comment

Working...
                    X