Head Unit Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Unit Upgrade

Looking for some input, have the Clarion CMD5 Head Unit currently and a WS 420. My Question is I am looking to add a built in BT function. The 3.5 mm headphone input has slowly stopped responding and certain speakers don't work unless wiggling the cord, have tried it with brand new cords and everything. I'm assuming the problem has to be in the receiver end of the plug. I have added a couple of amps and extra subs and in boat speakers and currently not all amps are run through the 420. Only the original two amps (syn 6 and syn2) are channeled through the 420. The 420 itself has an internal short somehow, the Main/Aux button when touched will cause all speakers to cut out but just wiggling it not depressing it to change function causes this issue.

Question for all of you pros, would it be more beneficial to change the Clarion CMD5 to a new head unit or change the 420 to the new Wetsound 420 with Bluetooth and run all amps through the 420?? I do love the use of the wired remotes one by driver and one on swim platform area.
    Wiring harness compatibility and rewiring are only concerns really to me.

I would switch out the head unit with a Bluetooth Clarion that's compatible with your current remotes, from your post. I would also look into fixing or replacing the 420 with a SQ model.
    Kaotik Kustomz: WetSounds, Arc, Kicker, Focal, Masconi, Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, MTX, Life Form, Lumitec, Shadow Caster, Fly High, Llumarr, Sun Tek, SolarFX....

Comment

Would the M606 be the same wiring harness and simple plug and play?? If so I think this would be the best first step. Or is there another Clarion BT unit that would be a simple swap?

I had an audio shop install the 420 and all of the extra sub and speakers and amps and when i was troubleshooting yesterday I noticed the 420 was not controlling the added amps.

Comment

J

I am 99% certain your cmd5 has the outdated 6 pin remotes and extension cables. If so there is no compatible current model. Changing head unit means changing remotes and cables. Clarion does offer a 6 to 8 / 8 to 6 adapter patch cable to retain the old remotes but u lose some functions of the remote.

Regardless of head unit route u need to connect all the to the 420
        No reason to not have speakers paired on their respective zone volume control.

Im certain the mode switch could be replaced.

Are u plugging directly into the head units rear AUX plugs or a remote socket in the glove box? There may be one other piece in there creating the issue.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The Aux plug in we are using is the factory installed 3.5 outlet mine is located below and Right of Steering Wheel, so im guessing this would be a remote socket.

I will correctly install the 420 now that i know it was bypassed. The "Main" Setting on the 420 works properly, only when trying to use the 420 Aux setting does the button short out.

I do think that the root of the problems is the 3.5 female plug. I would love the functionality of BT.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhatchett View Post
            The Aux plug in we are using is the factory installed 3.5 outlet mine is located below and Right of Steering Wheel, so im guessing this would be a remote socket.

I will correctly install the 420 now that i know it was bypassed. The "Main" Setting on the 420 works properly, only when trying to use the 420 Aux setting does the button short out.

I do think that the root of the problems is the 3.5 female plug. I would love the functionality of BT.
            That socket you speak of can be replaced with a new 3.5mm working plug. It connects to the rear of HU.
            Kaotik Kustomz: WetSounds, Arc, Kicker, Focal, Masconi, Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, MTX, Life Form, Lumitec, Shadow Caster, Fly High, Llumarr, Sun Tek, SolarFX....

Comment

Originally posted by Truekaotik View Post
              That socket you speak of can be replaced with a new 3.5mm working plug. It connects to the rear of HU.
              Any Idea on Part cost and availability?? Ideally I want Bluetooth but if it is a substantial price difference I can live without.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhatchett View Post

You are not actually plugging directly into the head unit at that socket, but rather a remote jack that connects to the head unit via a 20ft or so cable. That jack and its cable could likely be your AUX issue and not the head unit.

Those remote sockets can be replaced for about $20-$30 maybe or do away with it and install a universal BT, Providing you eliminated the head unit as the issue and found it to be the remote socket and cable.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I am fairly certain that the issue is in the actual remote socket as you can rotate the cord and it will change speakers playing. I believe it is the remote socket itself. So what are the best options in your opinion Mike?

Comment

If you want to add blue tooth, I would remove the remote AUX and put something like the Wet Sounds BTVC or BTRS in its place. Just to be safe, id probably run a new extension cable from the new BT to the head unit. Not a big deal because you will need to run a B+, B- and turn-on over there anyway. Just disconnect the old cable and tie it off.

Comment

Well Update, I Went ahead and got the CMD8 with built in bluetooth and so far am loving it! Only problem now is the Tower speakers not playing, they werent playing on the old head unit either so its nothing caused during the changover just now time to troubleshoot. Tower is the factory Pro 60's run off of the Syn 2 amp. I have power to the amp and signal to the amp and the Green Power Light is on, I pulled one of the tower speakers out and put a cabin speaker that i know is working up there and hooked it up and no sound. RCA's are hooked up correctly, gain on amp has been checked, no filters were changed from last season when everything worked. is there anything else to check or time to grab one of my spare amps and hook it up in the place of the Syn 2 and check that?

Comment

to be effective, you would want to remove the speaker leads from the pod's connector and wire them to a test speaker, rather than use the internal leads post cross-over. I would also wire the test speaker right to the amp chnl(s) with a short lead.

Did you swap RCAs with the other amp?

Comment

Perfect, I knew there had to be another trick. So If the amp is still good and the speaker wired direct to the amp powers the speaker then what does that mean for the speaker pods?

Comment

wire issue between the amp and the pod. A likely suspect would be those blue/black connectors to the pods.

Comment

Working...
                            X