• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Clarion BT Options

Hey there,

I have this old XMD3 head unit.

and these remotes

I talked to Crutchfield today about this media player but he said it's not comptiable with my current remotes because my old head unit is CE NET which they don't use anymore. I really don't want to spend another $400 on remotes on top of a new head unit nor go through the pain of wiring them in. I suck at installs.

Are there any other media players that can work with my old remotes? It would be awesome to change tracks from the remotes, but not the end of world.

Is my only option one of these Bluetooth adapters from Amazon?
    Last edited by parkcityxj; 03-09-2017, 01:12 AM.

I had an even older clarion deck (xmd2) and remote (M101RC) and I was able to upgrade to a new Clarion CMS2 deck and used the existing M101RC remote. Just buy the CCUMRA1 adapter. Provided your remote is the old 6 pin.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/CCUMRA1.html

Comment

Are you dead set on using Bluetooth? I've got the same headunit with dual remotes and I just ran a long aux-in cable around to the helm and plug my phone in that way. I'd rather have a hard wire connection than a wireless connection anyways... we just fire up pandora or Spotify on the iPhone and use the helm and transom remotes for volume or mute..

Comment

Originally posted by chopper515 View Post
        I had an even older clarion deck (xmd2) and remote (M101RC) and I was able to upgrade to a new Clarion CMS2 deck and used the existing M101RC remote. Just buy the CCUMRA1 adapter. Provided your remote is the old 6 pin.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/CCUMRA1.html
        Thanks! Are you able to skip tracks with the old remotes?

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
        Are you dead set on using Bluetooth? I've got the same headunit with dual remotes and I just ran a long aux-in cable around to the helm and plug my phone in that way. I'd rather have a hard wire connection than a wireless connection anyways... we just fire up pandora or Spotify on the iPhone and use the helm and transom remotes for volume or mute..
        Yes, my wife and I both have Iphone 7s w/no jacks lol.

Comment

I can't remember if it will switch tracks? I'll check tomorrow for you. FYI, the CMS2 is an AM/FM/Media bluetooth player with no CD. We typically listen to bluetooth from our phones. My old deck was in the glove box and had remotes at the helm and transom. I eliminated the helm remote and replaced it with the CMS2.

Tige 7.jpgTige 8.jpgTige 9.jpg

Comment

Park,

Yes, the old remotes will not function with the new headunit offerings. The old use a 6-pin set and the new are 8. Do not got the 6 to 8 adapters. You get some remote functions but not all.

2nd, yes you can add a universal BT, just please dont go with the fusion BT100. its 5 years past its pirme outdated. There are FAR better BT units out there. Wet Sounds has two, Kicker has one on the way, Roswell Cybox and a couple others.

My next question, other than BT, what other traditional head unit functions are you looking to retain? Transom remote? CD? AM/FM? There are options, depending on this answer.

Im 99% sure you can not skip track on the old remote using the 6 to 8 pin adapter.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

@ chpthril That Wetsounds unit looks like exactly what I need. I'm completely out of the loop on stereo tech, I didn't know about those new BTofferings.

I'm just loooking for something that can stream blutooth and have controls at the driver's fingertips. That's why I want retain the remotes, but something like that wetsounds device would elimate the need for a new HU. I'm not sure if I'll use the transom remote, first boat I've owned with one, no big deal if tracks can't change from there. We've had a few phone casualites taking dunks over the past few years, now we keep them in the glovebox lol.

Thanks for the advice! Jay
              Last edited by parkcityxj; 03-09-2017, 03:15 AM.

Comment

in case you don't get something figured out before you wanna be in a boat.... charge and stream music at the same time..

https://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Lightn.../dp/B01N8YF5QE

Comment

Both of the wet sounds unit are bi-directional active units, so you can track advance and volume. More expensive than some of the other universal units, but those are passive receivers and your phone has to be used for volume (or the head) and track skip. So the phone can be put away with the wet sounds units.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                    Both of the wet sounds unit are bi-directional active units, so you can track advance and volume. More expensive than some of the other universal units, but those are passive receivers and your phone has to be used for volume (or the head) and track skip. So the phone can be put away with the wet sounds units.
                    Just PM'd you.

Comment

parkcityxj,

I tried my setup out and you CAN skip to the next song with the old 6 pin remote and 6 to 8 pin adapter. Your mileage may vary since you don't have the exact remote I have, but it works for me. I tested it with an iphone 7 connected via bluetooth playing amazon prime music.

Comment

Mike got me all set up with everything I need for the Install. Thanks for the advice and fast service.

Comment

Working...
                        X