Upgrading ws o.e.m. stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading ws o.e.m. stereo

I have a RZ4 2008. It currently still has the original stereo equip in it. Pair of pro 6's, 10" Free air sub in helm, 3 pair of the wetsounds round cabin speakers, kicker 750 amp and a kicker 150. The system clips a lot. Yes I crank it as far as it will go a lot!
    I would like an opinion on the planned upgrade from you experienced guys. I want the bass to increase and the passengers on the sun platform to get more sound than just the pro 6's.

My plan is to get rid of the kicker amps, remove the pro-60's. Add 1 pair of rev 10's , a bt420 eq, a syndx6 , a sd6, and a extra 10" free air .
    Question 1. Will this be a really powerful set up , i.e. awesome bass and loud and clear?

Question 2. The existing wires that are in the tower hooked to the pro6's , can I just use these for the rev 10's?

The system will be installed by pro's . Not me! lol

The system will be installed by pro's
    This will help in getting it tuned right and prevent the clipping. I would also included them in the design process, nit just in providing the labor. Get their thoughts. By doing the install, they are putting their name on it. They will want to make sure it performs up to your standards and resolve any areas of concern in the design, prior to the build.

and a extra 10" free air .
    I would consider going with a single 12" in a ported enclosure. Both those amps you are considering, will yield the same 600W potential to a single 12 or dual 10. Although dual 10 give the edge in terms of surface area, ill take a single 12 in a ported enclosure.

a bt420 eq
    Id consider the new WS-220BT 4 zone controller. Allows for the bow to be a zone.

a syndx6 , a sd6,
    What are your thoughts here with 2 different 6 chnls?

to your direct questions:

1) can be with the right amp and speaker pairings. Just note that a crappy download or file stream can be the weak link in even the most expensive system.
    2)Your 08 was likely wired with 12ga wire. As long as the ends can be clipped back a few inches to insure its good clean wire strands with no corrosion wicked down, then yes, no need to replace. However, if the ends are too short, dont look good, too small of a gauge or the insulated is compromised at the tower fold or foot where it passes through the deck, then replace.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I went with adding the second free air 10 as I got one from another member for cheap so all I had to do was cut in a second hole and connect the sub for the most part. Less than $ 100.00. I'm sure a 12 in a ported box sounds much better but I'm happy with what the two of them can do. It was definitely a difference from just having one but doesn't have the full range of bass that I proper boxed sub could do. IMO. The 2 free air's are by no means the same bass that my friend with a ported 15 in his boat can do.lol.

The Rev10's made a huge difference as well.

Comment

Man you guys make this forum! Just fyi. This is the mapping that wetsounds sent me. Do you concur? The only thing I have changed is the 12" he mentions back to a 10 due to a great deal I found on one.
        obert

The configuration I came up for you is the following

Amp SD6

Pair of Rev 10 bridge ch 1,2 to Rev10, Bridge ch 3,4 to rev 10,( that will give you 585 watts to each speaker)

1 XS 10 Bridge ch 5,6 (this will give you 585 watts to the sub)

Amp SynDX6

XS 12 Bridge ch5,6 (this will give you 600 watts to the sub)

2 pair 650 run parallel on channels 1,2 ( this will give you 100 watts to each at 2 ohms)

1 pair 650 on channel 3,4 ( this will give you 125 watts to each speaker)

Comment

I was stumped on the amp configuration at first too, but I guess if that's what they recommended then it looks like it will work.

It comes down to the fact they don't have an amp that's stable at 2 ohm mono. The old Syn1 would, but it's been killed. If you had different subs, or at least a couple SVC 2 ohm, or 2 DVC 4 ohm, it would be more simple.

Comment

Hate to throw a wrench in there, but im 100% sure your current OEM installed XS-10fa is a 4 ohm DVC. What this means is, you cant bridge it on either of those amps.

So, you need to do two things. 1) open the STBD bow locker and look at the back of the current woofer and confirm that its a 4 ohm dual voice coil. It will have 2 pair of wire terminals and will likely be printed on the label thats its 4 ohm dvc. 2) confirm what the coil configuration is on the new woofer you found.

Really need to work out the woofer before any amps can be decided upon.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have a 2015 R20 and I am running a Syn4 and Syn 2 for amps and 4 - ws6.5's and 2 - ws808's in boat.
              1 pair of Icon 8's on the tower and 1 - XS12 sub in the helm.

Syn 4 Front Channel to Icon 8's and a pair of 6.5's in the bow all at 2 ohm.
              Syn 4 Rear Channel to 808's and a pair of 6.5's in the lounge all at 2 ohm.
              Syn 2 to XS12 in helm mono 4ohm.

XS12 Sub is in the helm where the 10 would go. I cut the factory opening to accommodate the 12 and the rear port vents are opened and the carpet removed to allow it to port to the rear of the factory enclosure.

I am sure a precise tuned sub enclosure would be the correct way to get the most out of the sub, but I am more than pleased with the switch to the XS12 and I could not bring myself to attempt to remove the entire panel on a new boat to build and replace with an enclosure.

The bass response in, out and around the boat is impressive, clear and hard hitting with all genres of music !!
              Both amps are set to approximately 90% output and they run clear and cool with no clipping or distortion issues.

Did install myself and a little more than 1 year after install the system still brings a huge smile to my eyes and EARS !!!

Thanks to Chpthril for all his help, suggestions and answers to my questions and especially for directing me to Wet Sounds B stock.

Comment

2 Icon's mixed with 2 6.5" in-boats?

Mike, they stopped the DVC production a couple years ago. You sure it's DVC? They've gone to a single 4 and single 2 now. Maybe you knew that but I didn't catch where you thought it was DVC.

Comment

chpthril,

I will head out to the locker this evening and check it out. I could not find any label on it when I looked at it a couple weeks ago. I didn't know about the 2 pair of terminals and I will confirm that. If that is the case, should I purchase 2 ohm woofers to pair with these amps?
                  I guess it's true what they say! " No such things as free puppies or cheap deals on wetsounds" lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jonyb View Post
                    2 Icon's mixed with 2 6.5" in-boats?

Mike, they stopped the DVC production a couple years ago. You sure it's DVC? They've gone to a single 4 and single 2 now. Maybe you knew that but I didn't catch where you thought it was DVC.
                    Im 100% sure, providing it was OEM installed, which it sounds like it is. 08 was the first year for Wet Sounds speakers in Tige but they still used Kicker amps. So the 4 ohm DVC would have been the OEM woofer for 08, wired in parallel and netting 420 from the ZX750.5.

The only thing that change this, is if the woofer was replaced later and then could be a 4 ohm SVC. Thats why I suggest checking the label, just to be sure.

sorry for this plug. Kicker gets an underserved bad wrapped and being crappy. Heres a testamate to the fact that Kicker actually builds a quality product. 8 seasons later and these Kicker and are still chugging along. I freshened up an 06 24V last season that had two OEM installed Kicker amps and CVR10 woofer. Still working fine after 10 seasons and we retained them for now.

should I purchase 2 ohm woofers to pair with these amps?
                    What you would need is a woofer(s) that can be wired to a 4 ohm configuration. With the current woofer offerings, you would need the 4 OHM XS-10fa. The used new one you just got has a 1 in 3 chance of being the right one. It could be a current 4 ohm, which you need. Or, it could be a single 2 ohm or older 4 ohm DVC, neither will work for you.

All this means is that your amp selections might change, thats all. We just need to know for sure, what woofers you have and we can offer some amp suggestions to get the job done.
                    Last edited by chpthril; 01-11-2017, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Cool, I wasn't sure about the history of this one.

Comment

You were exactly right on the O.E. being DVC 4 ohm. My question now is, Can I just purchase a Single voice coil sub to replace it and consider it good?

Comment

talltx,

Are you set firm on going the dual 10AF route over the single 12? If so, you are prepared to fit that 2nd 10AF next to the original and then either relocate the xs-650 or isolate it? If so, Then the answer to your question is yes. However, you would want to go with either 2 SD-6 or 2 Syn-DX-6. Much better for woofer tuning to have identical amps.

Comment

I am 6'3" . I love the leg room under the helm. I was going to locate the second 10 in the side panel of the place where the trash can goes on the rz4. The sub would be facing the port side but be located on the starboard side of boat. If I build a enclosure, I lose foot room.
                            I should have just came to you first. What started out as a simple throw 2500.00 at it project , seems to be growing.
                            My thoughts on the two 10's was to spread the bass out over the boat. One under the helm has a hard time reaching the swim platform with any significant bass.
                            I am not a bass freak but I want to hear the rich tones and bass while swimming or hanging out on rear deck.
                            I already have one sd-6 to put in it. Knowing where I am, would you just buy another sd-6 to pair with it or buy the more powerful syn-dx-6 to? I appreciate your patience with my ignorance! I just want it done. lol

Comment

I lose foot room.
                              I guarantee no more than 3" lose, can you live with that?

The sub would be facing the port side but be located on the starboard side of boat. My thoughts on the two 10's was to spread the bass out over the boat. One under the helm has a hard time reaching the swim platform with any significant bass..
                              That would create phasing issue. Put them side x side or not at all.

A woofer in the walkway firing right into the opposing wall would add bass to the boat, but would not really work any better to reaching the swim platform. This does not even get into diminished bass due to phase cancellation between the two woofers.

2 woofers or a single larger woofer in a ported enclosure either options with solid wattage, will fix this complaint.

I already have one sd-6 to put in it. Knowing where I am, would you just buy another sd-6 to pair with it or buy the more powerful syn-dx-6 to
                              On the woofer side, that 15W difference is a non-topic. Either amp will deliver identical wattage for a pair of 10FA

Going to a 12" in a ported enclosure would allow you to go with a Syn-DX4. This shifts some available funds to the custom enclosure. The cost of the 12" is not much more than the 10" and certainly WAY less than 2 10Fa's, which you are considering in order to get two 4 ohm woofers. So this equals more free funds to shift to the enclosure build.

Comment

Working...
                              X