KICKER MARINE 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KICKER MARINE 2017

With the CES open this week, Kicker has released there new for 2017 marine lineup! Really excited to see some new gear.

Kicker has released the all new KXMA marine amps. The SHOC Wave wireless remote bass control is more than just volume. Available on the mono amps and the 5 chnl. Illuminated gain dial to detect clipping in order to find that peak optimal pre-clip level.

Two new additions to the marine line up. An 8 chnl amp that could drive a mild setup of 10" woofer, 2 pair of in-boats and a pair of two of tower pods. All with one amp. a 1200W rms 2 chnl. 300W rms x2 @ 4 ohm and 600W rms 2 ohm. Outstanding headroom for 2 pair of 8" coaxial or HLCD or could you imagine 600W each to a pair of huge HLCDs pods.

The KM10 woofer I dont think has changed, however, the grills are now a separate number so you can choose your grill style of white or charcoal at no additional up-charge.

Three marine source units: KMC20, KMC10 and KMC2 compact media center.

Over under the powersports tab, they have a new bluetooth interface. RCA output, 3.5mm input, looks to have a switched IGN as well as amp turn-on output. Great for small systems or adding to an existing head unit that has a pair of AUX inputs. Could even us it with a ZXM-RLC and go head-unitless.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

I sure like the looks of the kicker 8" pods. How do the km8' in the kicker pods compare to the wet sounds icons?

Comment

I run a pair of both. We've done quite a few of the KM8 in the tower pods and everybody is more than pleased. Both are in the 8" speaker class, both have a 1" metal dome tweeter and both have similar power handling. Even in a tower pod, the KM8 has excellent mid-bass. Very smooth and balanced but plenty of volume. The KM8 come with the RGB LEDs and pods are designed to pass the LED harness through the pod.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have the two pair KM8s in the Kicker Pods. I am not sure what you would expect Mike but they sounds clearer and louder than the KMT67s they replaced. Plus the LEDs my kids absolutely love.
        Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

KMT67's are exactly what I'm thinking about replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickit View Post
            Not the best pics but here is what mine looked like. I added two 4 channel Kicker Marine amps bridged to power the two pair but I bet MLA has a better amp recommendation that would power both pairs in a single amp.

I think it sounds better but that could be the new shiny toy talking! For my use, they get plenty loud enough (surfing 90%).

KM8 - Pics.jpg20140830_144640.jpg
            Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Looks good man! More things for me to buy! Gotta keep our older boats up as much as possible!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickit View Post
                Here is a comparison to a pair of KMT67 and two pair KM8. The KMT67 consists of four 6.5" mid-bass drivers and two .75" horn loaded tweeters. Two pair of KM8 consists of four 8" mid-bass coaxials each with a 1" titanium dome tweeters.

So what does this mean? To start with, a larger speaker always plays louder and always play deeper. The two pair of KM8 has WAY more speaker surface area all the way around. More mid-bass speaker area = deeper mid-bass. More tweeter surface are means more peak output.
                Going from the KMT67 to two pair of KM8 should be a noticeable difference.

Amp wise for 2 pair, the KXM400.2 is a good choice. A better choice is a wet sounds Syn-DX2 or Arc Audio KS300.2. A top shelf option is going to be the new KXMA1200.2

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                  Here is a comparison to a pair of KMT67 and two pair KM8. The KMT67 consists of four 6.5" mid-bass drivers and two .75" horn loaded tweeters. Two pair of KM8 consists of four 8" mid-bass coaxials each with a 1" titanium dome tweeters.

So what does this mean? To start with, a larger speaker always plays louder and always play deeper. The two pair of KM8 has WAY more speaker surface area all the way around. More mid-bass speaker area = deeper mid-bass. More tweeter surface are means more peak output.
                  Going from the KMT67 to two pair of KM8 should be a noticeable difference.

Amp wise for 2 pair, the KXM400.2 is a good choice. A better choice is a wet sounds Syn-DX2 or Arc Audio KS300.2. A top shelf option is going to be the new KXMA1200.2
                  Mike, if I wanted three pairs of 8s off the 1200.2. How would I wire them so it's 2ohm? Thanks man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Unfortunately, there is no way to obtain a 2 ohm load with three 4 ohm speakers. You can get:

1.33 = too low for they amp, will likely send it into protect mode
                    2.66 = safe impedance for the amp, but done through a series/parallel wiring scheme. Speakers will not split wattage evenly
                    12 = Not enough wattage to make it worth while.

Best scenario, add a 2nd amp dedicated to the 3rd pair of speakers.

Comment

Unfortunately, there is no way to obtain a 2 ohm load with three 4 ohm speakers. You can get:

1.33 = too low for they amp, will likely send it into protect mode
                      2.66 = safe impedance for the amp, but done through a series/parallel wiring scheme. Speakers will not split wattage evenly
                      12 = Not enough wattage to make it worth while.

Best scenario, add a 2nd amp dedicated to the 3rd pair of speakers.
                      Yeah I figured, just wondering if you had a magic formula lol. Right now I'm using 2 amps to power 2 pair of the 8s. Would it benefit swapping both for the 1200.2?

Comment

IIRC, you are running dual 400.4 amps, or was it dual 800.5, each bridged to 2 chnl mode for the tower pods. Thats 200W rms for each pod, which is good power for a 4 pod setup. Switching to the a single 2 chnl amp like the KXMA1200.2 would not likely equal a louder system, but there are some worth while benefits to consider.

*One amp over 2 so leass needed space and less cabling
                        *simpler wiring in the tower

Now, being that you have already built the system, the above does not carry as much weight as if one was building from scratch. So where could you really benefit?

You've got 4 amp chnls pegged at minimum load just to get that 200W rms. The 1200.2 has the potential of delivering 300W rms to four 4 ohm pods. You would in reality, not likely dial the gain to deliver that full 300W rms potential though. This means the speakers get all the power they want with some to spare. This is what we call head room. Amp gain is lower, so this lowers the noise potential and that unneeded power increases the dynamic range because the speakers are driven to their full potential without tapping the amp out. This improves the sound quality at the higher volume levels.

now, if you are using the 5 chnl 800.5 and are also running a 2 ohm woofer load, reducing the load on the 4 full range chnls of each amp, lakes some of the work load off the amps' power supplies.

Comment

IIRC, you are running dual 400.4 amps, or was it dual 800.5, each bridged to 2 chnl mode for the tower pods. Thats 200W rms for each pod, which is good power for a 4 pod setup. Switching to the a single 2 chnl amp like the KXMA1200.2 would not likely equal a louder system, but there are some worth while benefits to consider.

*One amp over 2 so leass needed space and less cabling
                          *simpler wiring in the tower

Now, being that you have already built the system, the above does not carry as much weight as if one was building from scratch. So where could you really benefit?

You've got 4 amp chnls pegged at minimum load just to get that 200W rms. The 1200.2 has the potential of delivering 300W rms to four 4 ohm pods. You would in reality, not likely dial the gain to deliver that full 300W rms potential though. This means the speakers get all the power they want with some to spare. This is what we call head room. Amp gain is lower, so this lowers the noise potential and that unneeded power increases the dynamic range because the speakers are driven to their full potential without tapping the amp out. This improves the sound quality at the higher volume levels.

now, if you are using the 5 chnl 800.5 and are also running a 2 ohm woofer load, reducing the load on the 4 full range chnls of each amp, lakes some of the work load off the amps' power supplies.
                          That is the way it was intended to be but my installer hooked them up differently so in reality I'm only getting 100watts per pod. He said he wanted the amps to run cooler in the 120* Arizona sun. I just don't think he wanted to run extra wires up the tower as he said it was a pia to get one pair plus power.

That being said the wiring is there so all I need to do is swap the amps and re tune. My OCD will make me replace both 800.5s as well lol. I wouldn't want a Mis matchy amp rack haha.

Now what's the deal with those wireless remotes? Are they really wireless? Or need power?

I'm using two zone controllers now (tower, subs, cabin, bow)

Again thanks again for all the help!

Comment

Ok, sounds like youve got a single 400.2 driving the tower. Yes, moving to the 1200.2 would be noticeable difference in volume. Yes, it would be a direct swap cable wise as the 1200.2 is laid out like the 400.2, just a little larger. Just note, it will be about 2x the current draw, so consider that regarding the power cables.

I do not yet have the specifics about the wireless knobs. Ill either find out or get Phil to jump in with more info.

Comment

Ok, sounds like youve got a single 400.2 driving the tower. Yes, moving to the 1200.2 would be noticeable difference in volume. Yes, it would be a direct swap cable wise as the 1200.2 is laid out like the 400.2, just a little larger. Just note, it will be about 2x the current draw, so consider that regarding the power cables.

I do not yet have the specifics about the wireless knobs. Ill either find out or get Phil to jump in with more info.
                              Correct, I have 2 400.2s. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X