Potentially Dead Syn 2 Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potentially Dead Syn 2 Amp

I've been having some tower speaker issues that started late last summer. I was able to trace the issue back to one of the 60 amp terminal fuses at the battery that had been blown so I replaced the fuse and bingo the tower speakers were working again. Keep in mind this was during my battery/alternator issues I had last year and ended up replacing the alternator (which was the problem) but also replaced both batteries so I may have blown the fuse while reinstalling the batteries.

At the start of this year, the speakers weren't working again, so I checked the fuse and it was again blown. I replaced the fuse but this time the speakers weren't working and didn't all summer (bummer!).

I have swapped the 60 amp fuses at the battery (syn 2 and syn 6 fuse) and also replaced with other new fuses. I also checked the output at the fuses and I'm getting 11.33V (boat has been sitting since mid-September), so all is OK at the battery. I have traced the cables back to the amps and the cables are all in tact. I have also checked the voltage at the amps and both read 11.33V, so I'm getting the same power to them. The syn 6 and all in-boat speakers are working great and the blue light is on at the amp. The syn 2 has the green light on which indicates it is working and it also sounds like the fan is working. I disconnected the RCA inputs and hooked up my phone for a secondary audio source but got nothing out of the tower speakers. I then hooked up a house speaker to the amp but got no sound out of it (also did this to the syn 6 and did get sound). I then disconnected one of the tower speakers from the syn 2 and hooked it into the syn 6 and I did get sound from the speaker, so speakers are working. To me this points towards the syn 2 amp being dead or faulty. Does that sound right?

Should I replace this amp with the same syn 2 or go with something different? I have one pair of Pro 60's on the tower and plan to stay with that for a while. With 2 little girls, speakers just aren't a priority yet.

Also, when the boat is laid up for 4-5 weeks should I be getting voltage drops to 11V? The new alternator has been working great.

Also, when the boat is laid up for 4-5 weeks should I be getting voltage drops to 11V?
    No, but without knowing what the voltage was 5 weeks ago when the boat was put up, its hard to calculate a drop.

If i am reading correctly, there was NOT a blown fuse this time? So the 1st blow fuse may still have been self induced or an issue with the amp.

11.33V is dead, dead, dead. I would start by charging the batteries to proper level, 12.5 - 12.8 volt. Then, power the system up and see.

Green light is a good sign, but does not mean theres not a problem. Make sure the gain has not been turned down. Make sure the Freq Range is still in the 1X position.

MP3 direct to amp via 3.5mm x RCA eliminates anything upstream and swapping one or both tower speaker leads over to the other amp eliminates tower wiring and speakers.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

There was a blown fuse at the start of the season when I noticed the speakers weren't working again, so I went ahead and ordered a new fuse put it in but got nothing (even though the new fuse worked last season). I currently have new fuses for both amps but no output again for the tower speakers & syn 2.

I will go ahead and charge the batteries but I can tell you that they have been in the 12.5V or greater range all summer with good fuses, green light on, etc. but no tower speaker output. I just happened to get to testing this weekend and the voltage was low. In fact during testing, the voltage dropped below 11V and the syn 6 even stopped working which is probably why you call it dead.

Shouldn't it be if there is enough power to run the syn 6 then the syn 2 should have enough as well?
      Last edited by jmitchell; 11-07-2016, 11:31 PM.

Comment

All charged up and still nothing. Below are my settings for each amp. Didn't get all the Syn 6 in the picture. Freq Rang was "out" in the 1X on the syn 2. Everything look good?

Here are my settings for the Syn 2...
        IMG956854_1478630619072.jpg

And the Syn 6...
        IMG956857_1478630618912.jpg

Comment

Working...
        X