Set of REV 10s on a syn 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set of REV 10s on a syn 2

Hey guys as the title states I just got my REV10s and the syn2 delivered the other day. I have not even began to tackle yet, but have a question. I am hearing the syn 2 is not enough to drive the rev10s. Is this true or will they be fine.
    I have 2 options to keep the syn 2 and drive with them, or I can buy from a buddy of mine a diamond audio amp 450x2 for just shy of 200$ and sell the syn 2.
    What you guys think. The diamond audio will not be a marine amp.
    thanks guys

oh I will have a set exile/samson 7" tower speakers with swivel mounts for the alpha z tower and a rockford fosgate amp I believe 400watt for sale shortly if anybody wants.
    Last edited by dukesofhazzard; 09-21-2016, 04:50 PM.

Not even close to being enough power for them man. Only gives you 200Watts per speaker while the boat is on...less when your floating!
    You really need a proper amp. The diamond amp is well.... a diamond amp. Have not heard too many positive things about them. I would not want to fry a nice Rev10 speaker with a crappy amp... Sell the Syn 2 and get a proper amp! Doesn't have to be marine but get something decent.... You should give the rev10 about 400 watts per speaker. Its not so much to make it LOUD, but to give it enough power to hit the notes properly without destroying itself. Kind of makes me worry what the previous owner did with the Syn 2 attached.....

Comment

Another thing to note is that diamond is not CEA-2006 compliant...which means they aren't holding their amplifiers to any documented quality control. They could be pulling the wattage output out of their a**es and you couldn't do a thing about it! A little reading* http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com...nt-amplifiers/ *

If you are being budget conscious I would consider the PPI p900.4. Although it does not have the name recognition it once did and CEA compliance, Sonix electronix has done bench testing and has provent it to be a good amplifier. I also have heard MANY people on the boat forums running this amp, it will put out good power and not take up a lot of space. You will be around the $225 cad shipped for it...

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...PI-P900.4.html

give me a call sometime, I totally spaced I had to take you out on the Soulcraft boards soon.

Comment

This is what I picked up. Have seen a few guys on wakeworld mention them and figured I'd try one. Price is right: https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Pow.../dp/B005KVEPVO

Edit: didn't read all of Greeko's post apparently....same amp.

Comment

Another good read:

http://www.pasmag.com/car-audio/repo...004-amplifier-

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
            This is what I picked up. Have seen a few guys on wakeworld mention them and figured I'd try one. Price is right: https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Pow.../dp/B005KVEPVO

Edit: didn't read all of Greeko's post apparently....same amp.
            All Good BCRider! Do you like the amp?

We should all get together for a surf these days! I will bring my JS pro and new Emily pro out! Is Cultus still an acceptable temperature?

Comment

Dukes

I have some thoughts but too much to do on phone as I pass through the Nashville airport on way home from Vegas. Can u give me a day?
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Driving 2 rev 10's? Get a JL HD750/1 and sell the syn 2 to me Awesome combo plus the amp is regulated so it always provides 750w whether beached or driving.

http://www.jlaudio.com/mhd750-1-mari...plifiers-98225

Comment

thanks for all the replies guys.

Comment

thanks for all the replies guys. Could I drive my sub with the jl 750 and use channels 5/6 off my syn 6 to drive the revs. not so up on this stuff.
                    BCRIDER how do you like that amp.

Comment

I would be definitely be fine parting with the syn 2 and getting the p900 if it is worth it. Just not sure what to sell the syn 2 for if I do.

Comment

Ok, finally home. Not too late and i feel ok.

What model diamond audio amp is in consideration?

As to the PPi. That amp is a price-point open-tooling chassis that is shared by 3-4 other companies. Yes, its been tested and does make the advertised wattage. However, its extremely cheap on the front end. Running 4 chnl stereo, its ok, running 2 chnl bridged its really thin and tinny sounding. Really lacks depth and dynamic range with a speaker like the Rev-10. The controls are very inaccurate, making tuning hard without test equipment. Amps like JL and Wet Sounds are processor controlled with features like diagnostics and voltage and thermal roll back. Not too mention, they offer marine built amps which can be an advantage in some cases.

Now to the Syn-2/Rev-10 paring. Is the Syn-2 a bad choice....nope. Is it the wrong choice.......ite been the OEM option since before the Rev-10 was a Tige option and how many times have we heard of blown Rev-10? Excessive wattage blows drivers, not low wattage. However, we can see a blown driver when you have an under powered setup that constantly driven into a state to clip and distortion by an operator that is hoping for more than the system will deliver and does not hear the distortion. Now. if I was spec'ing out a system from scratch, the Syn-2 would not be my suggestion simply because for $30 more (difference in retail), we can double the wattage with the Syn-4 or new Syn-DX4.

The Syn-2 is a good solid match for the rev-8, so why not for the rev-10? Heres a couple things to think about. A larger speaker naturally has more output. This means its going to have greater output than a smaller speaker even when both are driven at the same wattage. So, at the same 200W from the Syn-2, the Rev-10 is going to play plenty loud. We have not even touched on the extra mid-bass output from the larger speaker, as well as the deeper mid-bass extension you get.

So, if you want to drive the Rev-10 to their full potential, go with the Wet Sounds SD-2 or Syn-DX4. If you want a solid setup for the deal you got, rock the Syn-2. Tuned right, you will be impressed.

Could I drive my sub with the jl 750 and use channels 5/6 off my syn 6 to drive the revs. not so up on this stuff.
                        need to remind me what woofer. Thats a 750W rms potential at all safe operating voltages and driver impedance. As to the rev-10 on 5 & 6 of the syn-6, less wattage than the Syn-2. If you free up 5 & 6, id rather see you dedicate the entire syn-6 to the 3 pair of in-boats.
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by dukesofhazzard View Post
                          thanks for all the replies guys. Could I drive my sub with the jl 750 and use channels 5/6 off my syn 6 to drive the revs. not so up on this stuff.
                          BCRIDER how do you like that amp.
                          If you got the JL HD750/1 I would drive the 2 rev10's with it. Wet Sounds or JL you really cant go wrong.

Comment

thanks for the reply Mike. Would you rock the syn 2 over the ppi 900.4, cause if that is the case I am good to go. Unless it is worth it to sell the syn 2 for the ppi or for a diamond, I will have to check what diamond it is, my buddy is a distributor and just wants to get rid of a few he has left. But if you feel the syn 2 is enough I can just use it, as that is what I have.
                            thanks again.

Comment

I would take the Wet Sounds Syn over a PPi ever day of the week.

Comment

Working...
                              X