Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do I fix a wet sounds tower speaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do I fix a wet sounds tower speaker?

I have a set of wet sounds tower speakers and one is not working. I don't know what model they are, but here are some photos. I measured the speaker, not enclosure, and it was 7". How do I repair them? I don't want to buy new ones. Any help is greatly appreciated.

image.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jaceaser; 07-17-2016, 07:29 PM.

J,

Have you first isolated the issue to the suspect pod, and 100% eliminated everything from the connector back to the head unit? I ask, because a completely dead 2-way speaker is rare. Common to have a tweeter out or a mid-bass out, but not the whole pod. This points me to a connector or wiring problem.

Did you switch the connectors from one pod to the next? If so, did the suspect pod still not play and other working pod still played?

Good news though. If its a connector, its easily fixable. If its a speaker assembly, it can be replaced or possibly repaired. If you pull the driver out of the pod, you will likely find that its the XS-650. Looks like a dome tweeter, which the 650 had. At that time, the 65 had a "W" tweeter, which looked different.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

@chpthril, I did swap the wiring and the bad pod did not work, but the good one worked regardless. It does look identical to the XS-650. Would I just buy a pair of XS-650's, pull the original speakers out of the pod and reinstall?

Thanks.
      -j

Comment

I would then inspect the pod side connector and take the speaker out and wire it directly to the amp. I would do this by pulling an in-boat speaker and using its wires. See if the speaker works out of the pod and on a known working set of leads in the boat. This presumes you dont see any obvious issue when you open the pod up
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

@chpthril, just did the triage, turns out its a bad speaker. Just ordered a set of XS-650's to replace. I found the label under the rubber seal that said it was XS-650B. Out of curiosity what model would these be? Thanks for your help btw.

Comment

XS-650b is the model. Thats what want. XS means its the iron cross grill silver. 650 means its the hi-output 6.5 and the B means its got the black cone.

Comment

@chpthril, sorry I meant the model of the whole setup eg. rev8, icon8, pro60 etc.

Comment

XST-650 was what that tower pod was. It was the Pro-60 pod with the XS-650 in-boat speaker in it.

Comment

Awesome thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X