Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help for Stereo Redesign, Keep, Dump, or Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for Stereo Redesign, Keep, Dump, or Buy?

To all any guidance would be greatly welcome. Big season update to my 2000 Tige 21V with new upholstery, tower, and a surprise new wrap given to me as a birthday gift. With the new tower it means “I HAVE TO REBUILD THE STEREO SYSTEM”, as I explain to my wife. Not too far from the truth, but given a chance for a refresh and a plan for the future.

My current hardware is as follows to give you an idea of my building blocks. As always, I know what I want, now I have to select what I can “afford” (what I can get away with or allowed by my wife). My kids and I both wakeboard and wake surf, so we are looking at something to cover both.

Head Unit:
    Kenwood KDCBT 948HD RMS 22Wx4 max 50W

AMPS:

Rockford Fosgate M600-4D
    4ohms 100Wx4 RMS
    300Wx2 RMS
    2ohms 150Wx4 RMS

Kenwood KAC-8105D Class D
    4ohms RMS 300Wx1 RMS
    2ohms RMS 500Wx1 RMS

Pioneer GM-D99500F
    4ohms RMS 75Wx4
    200Wx2
    2ohms RMS 100Wx4

WS-420BT - Multizone Equalizer

SPEAKERS:

possibly need to replace in boat x4 ??? currently old but functional

Tower Speakers
    41KMS674C Which is the same as the KM6500.2
    pair of 6.5 inch HLCD and Midrange speaker in Kicker tower cans
    RMS 200W Max 400W - when paired at 4 ohms

SubWoofer
    Sony XS-L126P5 12 inch 4ohms RMS 380 MAX 1300W
    in box under dash

The Kicker speakers I bought last year and I have some 8 inch tower woofers (MAS-8200ALTi) that I will dump on craigslist that were the first I was allowed to buy years ago. I have considered selling all the tower speakers and start from scratch. With the cost that went out for the upholster and tower, I think for the sake of my marriage, I am looking at putting something together to get us through this season. Next year will be the big year to really max the stereo and put in ballast system.

If i stick with the Kicker HLCD and midrange pair, I will differently need to add more midrange to the tower. I have read any and all forum references I could find on this speaker set. The kicker 6.5 midranges that used to be paired with these have been discontinued.

1) My first question to all is should I buy a pair of the discontinued midrange kicker 6500 in cans that I found on Ebay for asking price of $280 (would offer less), or select something that could be part of a better system in the future. These are the only ones I could find. I know that some have suggested asking Kicker for component replacement 6.5 speakers for the KMT67 and I have to make some calls for prices on that. Other posts have suggested that Kicker has no supply of these.
    2) If I do buy something else, what would you recommend? Looking at getting the most for the money and still have a nice system. It is always the question how much.
    3) If I stay with the Kicker setup with six-pack running parallel as Kicker designed, they would be at 2ohms. At a glance, non of my amps could adequately power them. That means a new amp. Recommendations? I differently want to be future proofing but not breaking the bank.(or my marriage) I am finding it very hard to find an amp that will maximize the speakers at 2ohms. I am considering 2 amps at 4 ohms instead.
    4) Any recommendations for in boat speakers? In the past they have only run off my head unit but was looking to run them through one of my amps so it can be balanced with the WS-420. Probably best paired with my Fosgate amp with RMS 100W at 4ohms??
    5) The Sub I would pair with the Kenwood for now, with thought of replacing the Sub and amp later?

If money was no object, kids were not in college, and single, this decision would be much easier. I await the knowledge of the collective and many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by oldwakedoc; 06-22-2016, 01:19 AM.

So Sorry for my novel above. I do not mean to brain storm out loud but here I am.

Key recommendations I am looking for are:

What to do about increasing midrange/bass for the 6500.2. For my current hardware I think the best direction would be to pick up the pair of Kicker mids, already in tower cans at $250 with the hope they are in as good of shape as the seller indicates. Then get an Amp that can adequately push the 6-pack well, and have the amp be future proof enough to use in the next generation of my system next year. The 2 amps I am looking at are Kicker KXM400.2 (200Wx2 RMS at 2 ohms) vs. Wet Sound HTX2 (300Wx2 RMS at 2ohms). The prices I have seen are $279 vs $430. Trying to justify in my head is the extra headroom on the amp worth anything to this system with 200W RMS on the speakers or is it just better future proofing? Who knows I might like it enough to keep it for next year as well.

Comment

So....as my brain storming continues.....

If I sell both my tower speakers and put that money towards picking up a pair of Rev8's or Rev10's:

1. would any of my amps adequatly drive it to save some money this year?
      2. are either one better for both wake surf and wakeboard use? We are about 50/50 on these activities.

sorry to take all you through my mental torment!

Comment

The M600-4D would be ok for either. IMO, go with the Rev-10 if head room or bimini clearance is an issue. Its only about $150 difference between the Rev-8 and Rev-10. Far more output and deeper mid-bass from the larger speakers. The rev-10 is the best for both surfing and boarding, although the Rev-8 performs great as well.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation.

Anyone have an Indy Tower with their bimini, and have any idea how well a Rev8 or 10 would fit? I do not get my boat back from the shop until next week.

Comment

Working...
          X