Z3 box dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z3 box dimensions

Well the free air just isn't getting it done for us so I'm going to build a box for a 12 with the help of Mike. Anyone have dimensions for a z3 to save me a trip to the boat in the heat? Any help would be appreciated!!!!! Just a sealed box or a ported one I guess if anyone has anything...

2016 z3
    Germaine Marine
    "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Man, I'm really interested in how you get this done. I bought the sub, but haven't felt confident enough to start cutting on my boat....

Comment

Well I finally started, I was able to just cut below the electrical facade wall and spin secures. I notched an opening 20W which gave me access into the bow locker the only hang up was the heater which im not moving. Sooo next came calling Michael and Liquid Audio and asking him what the minimum depth I could run if I got real creative with a box. I started figuring dimensions in regard to what the sub mfg was requiring for volume. I settled on a L shaped box roughy 20W/11D/10H on the lower half and 20W/5.5D/10H on the upper half which nets me only a loss of 4 inches of legroom and eliminates the need to move the heater or the electrical panel.

Pictures to come soon once the box is done and installed.

Here is what I cut out of the existing lower divider wall.

IMG_5812.jpg
      Germaine Marine

Comment

Here is the box roughly built, no sanding or filling yet. Box netted roughly 1.17 ft3 so we should be solid and good to go.

IMG_3297-1.jpg
        Germaine Marine

Comment

More photos from today. Sub in, facade wall cut. Carpet then done..

image.jpg
          Germaine Marine

Comment

Man looks good. I would love to try and tackle this in my rz4
            BABz - babzusa.com
            Austin, TX

Comment

Here is what it looks like during a mock up. Not one extra cut needed, so Ill take that as a success or maybe I just got lucky either way I am stooked.

And by the way, these boats should not come with anything less then the Xs-12, the difference is sooooooo drastic its silly. This **** can either be really musical or straight blow your balls off. Well worth the sweat and hours and hours of cutting, gluing and epoxying.

A few words to the wise.

Buy a good plunge router with 2 flute up spiral bits they are worth every penny, also buy a circle Jig for the said router. If you go the same route I did you will need to cut 3 circles and the cleanliness and time saved using a jig was well worth the 35 bucks.

As for the material I used, here is a quick run down..

1 sheet of 3/4 Birch Ply
              305 west 2 part epoxy Fast Hardner/Epoxy
              wood glue
              Router
              Skill Saw finish blade
              Fine Saw
              Circle Jig
              Terminal Cup Insulated
              Water proof Silicone
              Screws both finish and rough
              1 foot of 12 gauge wire
              Carpet
              Wetsounds xs-12
              Wetsounds matching 12 inch grill

Make the Box (keep all edges rounded)
              Seal it inside and out (joints) with Silicone/Caulking
              3 coats inside and out with epoxy
              Install terminal Cup and wire
              Install 1/2 rubber feet to keep enclosure off the boat floor (both for water and woofer energy reasons)
              Set in sub with silicone bead and silicone in screw holes

Make facade wall template out of folding poster board
              Cut Facade wall
              Epoxy

Set in and screw down woofer enclosure
              Set facade wall and screw down directly to enclosure or use L brackets from the inside for support

You are done

IMG_3476.jpg
              IMG_3478.jpg
              IMG_3479.jpg
              IMG_3481.jpg
              Germaine Marine

Comment

Here is the final Product,

wasnt too bad, If I had to do it again it would take me about half the time.

IMG_3500-2.jpg

IMG_3501-2.jpg

IMG_3499-2.jpg

IMG_3502-2.jpg
                Germaine Marine

Comment

Looks good! I'm not sure I could give up the leg room but the factory sub isn't as impressive as I was expecting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BStoner View Post
                    Looks good! I'm not sure I could give up the leg room but the factory sub isn't as impressive as I was expecting.

If this is regarding the 06 20v, PM me. You wont have to give up any leg room, to make a significant difference.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                      If this is regarding the 06 20v, PM me. You wont have to give up any leg room, to make a significant difference.
                      It's a 2016 Z3. Just got it a few days ago. The 20v will be up for sale soon.

Comment

Originally posted by BStoner View Post
                        It's a 2016 Z3. Just got it a few days ago. The 20v will be up for sale soon.

4 inches is nothing... really.

My dad drives the boat and he goes 6'3. No issues. Their is exactly 10.5 inches of legroom as constructed above. Thats a ton........

If you dont have a heater or if you do and dont mind moving it you can not lose any..
                        Last edited by Germaine Marine; 07-18-2016, 02:05 AM.
                        Germaine Marine

Comment

Me Personally, I didnt want to move anything that the factory had set, electronics or heater related. I measured twenty times and put a faux wall in several times to see about the loss of 4 inches. It was nothing.
                          Germaine Marine

Comment

Originally posted by elevatedconcept View Post
                            4 inches is nothing... really.

My dad drives the boat and he goes 6'3. No issues. Their is exactly 10.5 inches of legroom as constructed above. Thats a ton........

If you dont have a heater or if you do and dont mind moving it you can not lose any..
                            Not bad at all!

Comment

I don't know if Tige has changed the placement of the sub but I don't understand why they don't just place it where the trash can is. Seems like they could build an integrated box there to not interfere with pulling the trash can out and the sound would be 100 times better. I've seen subs installed there in many tige's and it seems like the best place!

Great work on the install above though! We looked at doing that in my brother's 2011 RZ4 but decided to build a box for under the front middle cushion.

Comment

Working...
                              X